over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Stretch 'n' steroid combination produces muscle growth

Saizen

Registered

Imagine: an injury means you can't train for a while, but you can use anabolic steroids. In this hypothetical situation you can maintain more muscle mass by doing stretch exercises. You may even be able to build up a little bit of muscle mass, according to an animal study that sports scientists published in Scientific World Journal.

The researchers, who work at Kagoshima University in Japan, gave rats methenolone [an anabolic steroid, structural formula shown above] in a dose of 20 mg/kg bodyweight. The human equivalent of this dose is about 200-300 mg. The researchers injected the steroid directly into the small intestine.

A control group was given no methenolone.

The rats were sedated, which meant that the researchers could stretch the animals' right-hand gastrocnemius muscle. They did this 15 times a minute for 15 consecutive minutes. The researchers did nothing with the left-hand gastrocnemius.

Twenty-four hours later the Japanese observed that the combination of stretches and the anabolic steroid had boosted the synthesis of Mechano Growth Factor [MGF]. Mechano Growth Factor is a stripped down version of IGF-1 [structural formula shown above]. Fundamental research has shown that the anabolic effect of MGF is so strong that the researchers are convinced that the combination brings about muscle growth.

White bars: cells from muscles that were not stretched; black bars: cells from muscles that were stretched.

The researchers also looked at the synthesis of the anabolic signal proteins Myo-D and myogenin, but found no effect.

"Mechanical stimulation of skeletal muscle in conjunction with the administration of an anabolic steroid induced mRNA expression of MGF", the researchers conclude. "This finding suggests that the combination of anabolic steroids with muscle stretching exercise could promote muscle strengthening in patients with muscle weakness."

The reason that the researchers don't attach so much importance to the absence of an effect of the stretch-methenolone combination on Myo-D and myogenin is probably to be found in an animal study they published earlier, in May 2013. [ScientificWorldJournal. 2013 May 23;2013:493656.]

In that study the researchers used no steroids. In one group of experimental animals the researchers kept the right gastrocnemius muscle stretched for 15 minutes [SSC] and did nothing with the left gastrocnemius [USC].

In another group of rats the researchers stretched the right gastrocnemius 15 times a minute for a period of 15 minutes [SSR], and did nothing with the left gastrocnemius [USR]. This is also the protocol that the researchers used in the experiments when they gave the rats methenolone.

At the end of the week the researchers observed an increased synthesis of Myo-D [first figure below] and myogenin [second figure] in the SSR group. Apparently muscle cells subjected to stretching need longer than a day to boost the production of Myo-D and myogenin.

"In conclusion, passive stretching for a short duration once daily at several days within a 1-week period is effective in the growth of the skeletal muscle", the researchers conclude in the older study. "Repetitive stretching is suggested to have greater effects than continuous stretching. These findings suggest that passive stretching is useful in the prevention and maintenance of skeletal muscle tone in patients who are unconscious or paralyzed."

Source:
ScientificWorldJournal. 2013 Aug 25;2013:313605

I thought everyone knew stretching activates mgf!
jk

What I wonder is if stretching vs training changes the way new cell are integrating into the fibers, such as length versus bulk, if that's even possible.

definitely notice more hypertrophy in muscle that have been more fully stretched. Better to draw in nutrients as well imo

I thought everyone knew stretching activates mgf!
jk

What I wonder is if stretching vs training changes the way new cell are integrating into the fibers, such as length versus bulk, if that's even possible.

One stretch produces IGF-1Ea, multiple stretches produces MFG. More importantly, Stretching produces Prostaglandin F2alpha, and it sort of pulls the fiber back together. Prostaglandin causes serious growth.
To address your question, you can look at PGF2a users. I don't know the exact answer to your question about fiber type, but I can tell you that it is different in terms of total integration with the neuromuscular system.

Also, when you reach 200mg+ of anabolics, that is when your muscles begin producing more Follistatin. Since you are only stretching your muscles, you don't need the other healing properties of steroids.

What I'm saying is, another way to look at this study is "PGF2a and Follistatin produces muscle growth"

So you're saying that if you gave steroids to a yoga studio, you'd end up with a bunch of HUGE yogis? Just joking. Interesting info.

I stretch daily always have. If I don't I feel like I am missing out.

definitely notice more hypertrophy in muscle that have been more fully stretched. Better to draw in nutrients as well imo

I think the blood flow is so obvious that you can feel it... I sometimes take N.O. before big meals because I noticed I fill out more and feel the food I eat gets put to use and less is left to be tired as fat.

Total "bro science", but I feel a difference. Theoretically it makes sense... but no real adverse risks to try it.

On top of the increased blood flow and use of nutrients, stretching IS stress on muscle fibers, and stress is ultimately what causes hypertrophy.

Great post thanks for sharing

Excellent read, but as everyone has said I would like to see this human based. Thanks for posing up though.

Good to know! It's hard sometimes for me to make time to stretch but these informational nuggets help inspire me.

I have trying the stretch method on my calves. The barbell 1 podcast turned me on to it. So far, nothing.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131