over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lowering your cortisol levels with DHEA

ridge11

Registered
Read this article DHEA supplementation lowers cortisol levels
and it got me thinking of adding 50mg of DHEA daily. My cortisol levels were on the high side of normal last bloodwork and I would like to get them into the lower range. Does anybody know how effective this will potentially be? Any experience? Thoughts?

A one time snap shot of serum cortisol is meaningless. Unless the values are extremely high above range or very low(in which could be life threatening). The time of day also is relative to the diurnal variation of cortisol secretion. What time of day was your labs? The actual lab procedure can trigger acute changes in neurological signalling causing a temporary rise in sympathomimetic release of Catecholamines hormones ,epinephrine, norepinephrine and dopamine. Which can raise cortisol levels.

Three or more cortisol blood draws 8am, noon, 3pm and (8pm if you can find a lab open that late) will give a better idea of what your diurnal variation is. Or you can order a 4 time salivary cortisol test, there's a few places online you can get these. Or you could ask your physician about doing a 24-hour urine cortisol sample. Which will not show diurnal variation, it will measure the total amount of unbound cortisol excreted in 24 hours period.

If indeed your cortisol levels are slightly elevated, sure it's been demonstrated that supplemental DHEA has an effect on lowering cortisol. Although, this is only masking a more rooted cause. I would look into what is causing the rise. Lifestyle, diet, ephedrine?

I had cortisol checked with blood work at 8am twice, 8 weeks apart. was in same range. Staying lean during summer, so slight caloric deficit could be the cause. No ephedrine after your post about how ephedrine can affect platelet levels and size. So basically you wouldn't recommend it?

I had cortisol checked with blood work at 8am twice, 8 weeks apart. was in same range. Staying lean during summer, so slight caloric deficit could be the cause. No ephedrine after your post about how ephedrine can affect platelet levels and size. So basically you wouldn't recommend it?

I would certainly give it a run, say at 25 mg on an empty stomach before breakfast, then 25 mg before bed. I've been on that protocol for a few years now, my DHEA-S levels were in the bottom quartile of normal. Supplementing 25mg twice per day has brought my DHEA-S levels up in the upper quartile of normal. I would recommend buying a Micronized DHEA, as the absorption is better than standard DHEA. If there's a Vita Shoppe near you, they carry a few different brands. Both are equally the same IMO.

The most abundant neurosteroids in the human body are DHEA and its sulfate ester, DHEA-S. DHEA-S acts as a neurosteroids by acting directly on neurotransmitter receptors in the brain including NMDA receptor, sigma receptor and GABA receptor. By taking DHEA at bedtime you may find you're getting more relaxed, restful sleep. By the action of GABA and NMDA ret's.

Last edited:
Thanks. If after my next blood work my cortisol is still elevated and dhea is low I will begin supplementing with micronized dhea.

I was very hopeful about humanofort, but it didn't work very well for me.

your 8am cortisol levels will/should be the highest of the day....steadily dropping throughout the day

??

Where exactly do you get these 24 hour cortisol tests? Do you then mail it into a lab?

I was very hopeful about humanofort, but it didn't work very well for me.

Purchase a Saliva Cortisol Hormone Level Testing Kit, check your level than take 100mg Humanofort and re test it after 1 hour, you will be surprised.

A Norwegian pharmaceutical company is developing a Home Saliva Cortisol Testing Strip for the Humanofort. Each bottle of Humanofort will come with the testing kit.

A Norwegian pharmaceutical company is developing a Home Saliva Cortisol Testing Strip for the Humanofort. Each bottle of Humanofort will come with the testing kit.

what company/product is this? Sounds great. I'd love to get some test strips to figure out my cortisol.

I would certainly give it a run, say at 25 mg on an empty stomach before breakfast, then 25 mg before bed. I've been on that protocol for a few years now, my DHEA-S levels were in the bottom quartile of normal. Supplementing 25mg twice per day has brought my DHEA-S levels up in the upper quartile of normal. I would recommend buying a Micronized DHEA, as the absorption is better than standard DHEA. If there's a Vita Shoppe near you, they carry a few different brands. Both are equally the same IMO.

The most abundant neurosteroids in the human body are DHEA and its sulfate ester, DHEA-S. DHEA-S acts as a neurosteroids by acting directly on neurotransmitter receptors in the brain including NMDA receptor, sigma receptor and GABA receptor. By taking DHEA at bedtime you may find you're getting more relaxed, restful sleep. By the action of GABA and NMDA ret's.

I'm sure I've said this before, but, I think you have very informative input to this board. I really respect your opinion. Rare, huh? (Lol)

Hello emeric. Any word on this yet?

Thanks

Vitamin C, garlic, quercetin, ginkgo biloba, olive oil, DHEA and whey protein (pre-workout) all help regulate cortisol levels.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear