over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is sugar THAT bad?

DK0223

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Good article here that has some good discussion, with some debatable topics

**broken link removed**

lol makes you wonder if its really as bad as its labeled to be....

Sugar phobia and carb phobia have gotten out of hand. Every cell in the human body uses glucose to survive. I Don't even think sugar is addictive in itself. It's when you toy start putting it in processed fibreless processed Shit with a ton of fat that the problems start.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

IMO the problem is when you loose your insulin sensitivity. The article points out an essential info that sugar "has no nutritional value" and is only used to increase kcal intake.

Of course something that is not considered in the article is the positive effects a controlled high intake of sugars can make for an athlete such as a bodybuilder; like having a cheat meal high in sugars and increase the metabolic response, regulating leptin and fulling the cells with glycogen and having awesome pumps, hyperemia.

Since I have controlled my carb and kcal intake in my gaining periods I have been able to maintain high insulin sensitivity and whenever I have a high carb meal I just know it is being used "for the right reasons". IMO as far as you are high insulin sensitive a high sugar meal can be a powerful weapon in gaining lean muscle.

Sugar phobia and carb phobia have gotten out of hand. Every cell in the human body uses glucose to survive. I Don't even think sugar is addictive in itself. It's when you toy start putting it in processed fibreless processed Shit with a ton of fat that the problems start.

I agree with the last part but disagree with the first part. When you're speaking in reference to bodybuilding there are obviously other considerations, but for overall health I think sugar is every bit as bad as it's made out to be. It's true the body needs some glucose, but that doesn't mean the body needs carbs [emoji6]

This is a great video IMHO, similar topic. I think this guy lays it out pretty well. I will reiterate, eating for general health and longevity, and eating for bodybuilding do have some conflicting objectives though.

**broken link removed**

Insulin sensitivity and insulin resistance is the issue with sugar. Understanding this is one of the fundamentals of nutrition.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Adding sugar releases insulin and insulin is a fat storing hormone,reason low carb diets helps get rid of last bit of fat in weight lose program.

I agree with the last part but disagree with the first part. When you're speaking in reference to bodybuilding there are obviously other considerations, but for overall health I think sugar is every bit as bad as it's made out to be. It's true the body needs some glucose, but that doesn't mean the body needs carbs [emoji6]

This is a great video IMHO, similar topic. I think this guy lays it out pretty well. I will reiterate, eating for general health and longevity, and eating for bodybuilding do have some conflicting objectives though.

**broken link removed**

WHAT AN AMAZING VIDEO!!!!!! Now I've gotta research the speaker! Very smart.

I wish he went more in depth with the fibers explanation.

Something really cools he mentions that we can use for BB is that leptin is raised for 12 hours from every high carb meal we have. So one not necessarily has to have a massive cheat 1 a week to get the raised leptin bodybuilding benefits. Instead eating say a a high carb meal frequently while dieting can have the leptin effect more often with less caloric load.

But yeah, the video is not "BB friendly" per se, since he recommends a low protein diet. But for longevity it really makes sense.

if a large part of your diet is made up of sugar you get very little nutrition with it. if you eat the same amount of carbs from whole grain sources etc, you are going to get vitamins, minerals enzymes along with what other things have not been studied and identified to be good for you yet. are they bad maybe not but there are a whole lot of choices out there that will get you more nutrition and closer to your goals....at least as i see it.

well we all know too much of anything will make ya fat:D

im talking more about sugar causing cancer, heart disease, etc. the article says flat out.... "Although there are no dietary trials linking sugar consumption and CVD, there are several reasons why sugar consumption should be limited".

and another regarding insulin resistance...."No epidemiological study has examined the effects of dietary sugar on insulin resistance"

again, like the last part of the first above statement says, obviously dont make sugar the majority of your diet, as for obvious reasons

Last edited:

**broken link removed**

You can survive without carbs for sure. For me it's a fuckng living hell going below 200, I'll never go below 300 again. Some prople thrive on low carb though. My insulin sensitivity is very high which is probably why it's a lot easier for me to drop body fat with high carb. High blood sugar for long periods is real bad though so it will depend on insulin sensitivity and your body's ability to clear the glucose effectively. Mine runs real low so I don't concern myself with gi. I count macros and eat clean though. I'd have no issues getting all my carbs from fruits like bananas though which are all sugar. I chose rice for most as its dirt cheap

IMO the problem is when you loose your insulin sensitivity. The article points out an essential info that sugar "has no nutritional value" and is only used to increase kcal intake.

Of course something that is not considered in the article is the positive effects a controlled high intake of sugars can make for an athlete such as a bodybuilder; like having a cheat meal high in sugars and increase the metabolic response, regulating leptin and fulling the cells with glycogen and having awesome pumps, hyperemia.

Since I have controlled my carb and kcal intake in my gaining periods I have been able to maintain high insulin sensitivity and whenever I have a high carb meal I just know it is being used "for the right reasons". IMO as far as you are high insulin sensitive a high sugar meal can be a powerful weapon in gaining lean muscle.

How do you know it's used for the right reasons? How do you know your insulin sensitivity is high? provide evidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you know it's used for the right reasons? How do you know your insulin sensitivity is high? provide evidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I "guess" it's used for the right reasons (fill muscle with glycogen and nutrients and not spill), because I get vein as hell and my muscle fill up whenever I have a moderate carb meal.

I know my body, so I know it's high, or at least I feel its high. I'm very lean, my diet is low carbs and whenever I have a carb dense meal I just feel the effects straight away.

Thats just my opinion.

For those interested here is an recent episode of Blue Collard Radio, in which Shelby Starnes and John Meadows talk with Dr. Jacob Wilson. They go in depth with ketogenic diets. Pretty cool.

Blue Collar Muscle

In huge quantities, any product will be harmful. I think sugar substitutes and honey are used to control calories, and not because sugar is bad :D

non-working link
I don't drink sugar for a long time, I use sugar substitute. Recently I just drink water.

can't access the link.but for me,sugar is evil,Sugar is the cause of acne,also so many other bad effects.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws