over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Metformin year round?

FranJ

Registered
Hi guys,

I've been using 500mg metformin 3x a day for some months now, all the time using AAS and I'm leaner than ever, if using low carbs I never go totally flat... I love it tbh. Also, I can reach ketosis in less than 24h when I carb deplete...

We know Metformin lower Vit B12 levels, so I supplement with it 3x day too.

My main concern is Metmorfin effects on IGF-1. There are studies that say it lowers it (testosterone too).

Anyway, during steroids cycle, Metformin effects on IGF-1 should be a concern? it would hinder gains?

Last edited:
I would prefer to judge it on personal progress. How has progress been? Combined with getting leaner it's down to you to decide if progress has been slower?

Hi guys,

I've been using 500mg metformin 3x a day for some months now, all the time using AAS and I'm leaner than ever, if using low carbs I never go totally flat... I love it tbh. Also, I can reach ketosis in less than 24h when I carb deplete...

My main concern is Metmorfin effects on IGF-1. There are studies that say it lowers it (testosterone too).

Anyway, during steroids cycle, Metformin effects on IGF-1 should be a concern? it would hinder gains?

I have always heard it lowers IGF-1 but not sure I've seen any bloodwork to indicate to what degree. Vitamin B12 3x a day? Oral B12 is crap unless it's Methylcobalamin.
Look into injectable cyanacobalamin or methylcobalamin...and the only chance you have at oral b12 is methylcobalamin.

I read that methycobalamine is better for the brain, and great for autistics. It also costs a lot more. Cycanocobalamine is better for the body.
They require intrinsic factor from the stomach to orally absorb it.
So your choices are sublingual, shots, or IF conjugated B12 (from Metagenics).

Metformin is eliminated by the kidneys and when a patient has poor kidney function, the metformin can build up in the blood and cause a rare but serious condition called lactic acidosis.

Last edited:
i think the igf-1 lowering effect of metformin is connected to the fact that it hinders carbohydrate absorption to a a degree

less carbs = less insulin secretion = less igf-1

the igf lowering effects were also very minor in the studies ive seen so that theory would make sense

Hi guys,

Do you use metformin on a keto diet? Does that really help?

Interestingly, I read in Life Extension that metformin has a wealth of health benefits and can increase longevity.

Last edited:

Interestingly, I read in Life Extension that metformin has a wealth of health benefits and can increase longevity.

Metformin almost stops aminos from converting into glucose. So you're in keto faster, helps preserve lean tissue.

You should have read and seen that here...as it has been brought up and talked about many times.

Why and how in the hell would Metformin be used on a keto diet? You'd go hypo.

You should have read and seen that here...as it has been brought up and talked about many times.

If going to a true zero carb diet, metformin becomes pretty useless. 100gr carbs and cardio you can still hit ketosis with it.

EDIT: thought you were replying to me.

Calm down, it's not that serious.

That's exactly why I questioned it, because I always thought metformin was needed with carbs.

Calm down, it's not that serious.

That's exactly why I questioned it, because I always thought metformin was needed with carbs.

I am sure there are advantageous ways and methods to use it sporadically alongside zero or low carbs...but it's not going to be the same amount or frequency as a type 2 diabetic or someone trying to restore insulin sensitivity.

Last edited:

Nope, no hypo. I'm on ketosis right now and using 1.500mg (500mg 3xday).

I feel more "fullness" in muscles with Metformin in keto than without it. Also did keto with R-ALA, didn't get same results... I was flat as hell, no pumps...

I should add Metmorfin doesn't act like insulin does, it stabilizes blood sugars levels and make you more sensitivy over time (it builds up). You shouldn't go hypo on it...

Nope, no hypo. I'm on ketosis right now and using 1.500mg (500mg 3xday).

I feel more "fullness" in muscles with Metformin in keto than without it. Also did keto with R-ALA, didn't get same results... I was flat as hell, no pumps...

I should add Metmorfin doesn't act like insulin does, it stabilizes blood sugars levels and make you more sensitivy over time (it builds up). You shouldn't go hypo on it...

What else do you notice off the metformin? Do you feel more fat burning effects? Does it help you with appetite suppression too?

What else do you notice off the metformin? Do you feel more fat burning effects? Does it help you with appetite suppression too?

Yes, basically I started using it for appetite suppression, but I've kept it for months.

Maybe I'm saying something stupid but my theory for being fuller using metformin on keto is: metmorfin blunts gluconeogenesis so you can keto diet using MORE protein and still reach ketosis, you keep LBM while burning fat as hell... Is what I'm experiencing this year prep for contest... I feel fine on keto with it.

you don't go hypo.

Yes, basically I started using it for appetite suppression, but I've kept it for months.

Maybe I'm saying something stupid but my theory for being fuller using metformin on keto is: metmorfin blunts gluconeogenesis so you can keto diet using MORE protein and still reach ketosis, you keep LBM while burning fat as hell... Is what I'm experiencing this year prep for contest... I feel fine on keto with it.

Interesting I have a ton of metformin and was not using it because I also read it is counter-productive to building muscle but your theory definitely makes sense.

I also have used metformin while on zero carbs, never came close to hypo, metformin doesn't cause hypo.

Would be interesting to hear John Meadows's thoughts on when to incorporate metformin.

Interesting I have a ton of metformin and was not using it because I also read it is counter-productive to building muscle but your theory definitely makes sense.

I also have used metformin while on zero carbs, never came close to hypo, metformin doesn't cause hypo.

Would be interesting to hear John Meadows's thoughts on when to incorporate metformin.

The problem is that Metmorfin is not well used in bodybuilding, people always take it on carb loads or to reach keto faster, it peaks in about 1-2 hours and stabilize your blood sugar levels making your pancreas secrete less insulin to reach same benefits... Metmorfin is USEFUL when you keep an stable dosage and it builds up in your system (usually 2-3 weeks), this is what diabetics do. Only then you get better insulin sensitivity... for bodybuilders that's fucking good to gain LBM without getting fat.

I'm talking of using it with AAS, etc... since my concern was if IGF-1 levels would descrease a lot after long term use, so with AAS that shouldn't be a problem... my 2 cents.

well I can tell you I have to eat more using metformin. if im usually feeling energetic, full, ready to go with 35pro/50carb/10fat and then dose metformin 15- 20 min before that meal it will feel more like I ate 30carbs and be hungry for more. I also felt immediately weaker in the gym, for those two reasons alone i stopped using it the same with t3.

Not stupid, this is why I think you can reach ketosis much faster. And you can also keep protein higher when reaching it.

I felt flat so i figured it wasn't doing much once ketosis kicked in. How long did it take to stay full?

Last edited:
Not stupid, this is why I think you can reach ketosis much faster. And you can also keep protein higher when reaching it.

I felt flat so i figured it wasn't doing much once ketosis kicked in. How long did it take to stay full?

I reach ketosis in 5 days, was doing 50% prot/ 50% fat... after a few days I increased protein by 10% more or less, I kept dosing metmorfin 3x day (I find PWO to be very useful, I feel metal taste in my mouth after 45min).

I'm not a heavy weight (160lbs), so right now I'm using around 280g protein/110g fat and still in keto, without Metmorfin I'd need to stay under 240g protein to be in keto. I started to feel full when I increased my protein after a few days.

Next week I'll measure my blood sugar levels...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131