over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Finding Career with felony record

dukkitdalaw

Registered
Hey guys.
Ill try to make this short...

I am stuck in a dead end job. (like a million other ppl) I am a warehouse manager for an automotive restyler. But the aftermarket automotive industry is dead. We have closed 3 of our 5 locations. And laid off half of our work force from the other locations. I had to lay off EVERYONE in the warehouse and now run it alone. We took pay cuts in order to keep the company afloat. Been this way for years. I have no room for advancement and no way of getting a raise.

Due to that and a few other reasons... I am looking to go back to school. I have a tour/interview at ITT Tech on Mon.

My problem is...
I have a few felonies on my record. They are all 5 years or older. One of them is a drug related felony. I know that it can be hard to get loans/grants with a felony record. So Im worried I wont be able to ever go back to school.

I would like to be able to have a solid career/income so that I may start a family sometime. I come from a childhood where my brother and I didnt always have food to eat or water for showers. I dont want my kids to live that way. I want to provide for them in ways I never had availabe.

Im not looking for a crazy, high paying career. But something that pays the bills and takes care of me and my future.

I know that many of the members here have also had rough pasts and made mistakes. But have turned their lives around and have gone on to be successful.

So what Im asking... does anyone have any resources or info that may steer me in the right direction?

Any organizations, or such that help felons? Grants, school loans, tech schools, apprenticeships? Career counselors?

I am 27 and have been out of school for 10 years. I dont even know where to begin and its a bit overwhelming to be honest.

Thanks for any info guys.

Last edited:
Few points.

-I have my GED.
-I am certified personal trainer
-I have been at this job for close to 5 years.

Any possibility of growing your personal training business enough to one day open a studio?

And not to preach, but be careful about UG Gear use. Sounds like you might be treated harshly for even small quantity possession. You'll be wishing for your current life back.

Marry well. Seriously. Find a woman with a solid career and treat her well.

Last edited:
Any possibility of growing your personal training business enough to one day open a studio?

And not to preach, but be careful about UG Gear use. Sounds like you might be treated harshly for even small quantity possession. You'll be wishing for your current life back.

Im not too interested in the personal training. Id rather find a desk job or such.

I also am getting away from gear use and actually plan on taking most of the winter off from the gym to focus on this school search.

My girl is a teacher. Thats a solid career. Just not a money maker either in this day and age. lol. But I do treat her well. :)

Thanks for the reply bro.

Good point, and I would also give the same advice. Because of the felonies you are going to have to think clearly about your income quickly should your job fold. If it does, you are going to need cash. With the felonies you are limited to what kinds of good paying jobs you can get. Even if you decide to go back to school, when you are done, trying to apply for a job will still be hard. What Triathloncoach and I are saying is, get your priorities straight. The longer you can stay somewhat gainfully employed the better it is for you. even if you have to get a tax id # so you pay taxes on your PT job. It shows consistant employment to the govenment, and any benefits you want from the government down the road.

5 years since your last felony is not enough time (in most cases) gone by even for the government. 10 or more is usually the time frame they go with. What state do you live in bro? Let's start there.

(I happen to have 110% experience in your exact same position, but I will not go into it in public)

Good point, and I would also give the same advice. Because of the felonies you are going to have to think clearly about your income quickly should your job fold. If it does, you are going to need cash. With the felonies you are limited to what kinds of good paying jobs you can get. Even if you decide to go back to school, when you are done, trying to apply for a job will still be hard. What Triathloncoach and I are saying is, get your priorities straight. The longer you can stay somewhat gainfully employed the better it is for you. even if you have to get a tax id # so you pay taxes on your PT job. It shows consistant employment to the govenment, and any benefits you want from the government down the road.

5 years since your last felony is not enough time (in most cases) gone by even for the government. 10 or more is usually the time frame they go with. What state do you live in bro? Let's start there.

(I happen to have 110% experience in your exact same position, but I will not go into it in public)

Im in PA and I know 10 years is the general time frame. My 2 felonies are going on 7 years. And my other is on 5. I am thinking that by time I do 4 years of school and find a job... itll be 10 years so my chances would be better by then.

Ive talked to the ITT Tech lady and told her my deal.

She said I can come in and talk to a career advisor and finacial aid advisor.

That will give me a better idea of what I can and cant do.

I have been in sales my whole life. First, health club(personal training,memberships), then real estate, and now medical supply(start on oct 10). I was popped in my mid 20s for gear, but got deferred, but it shows an arrest on my record. It has always seemed that sales jobs have been more forgiving for me. If you have the social skills, then the companies mig inht cut you more slack in sales.
I wish you the best of luck bro.

Every city in this country has had to deal with ex felons being returned to their local communities. A great place to start would be your local city hall. They have a wealth of information on ex felons trying to better themselves. They have a list of names and companies that hire ex felons looking to restart their lives. The city and or state gives those companies tax breaks for hiring ex felons. So for me, I would suggest going down to your local city hall and asking lots of questions. There is a good amount of info there. Do not phone them, go down there in person and make a face to face contact and start gathering peoples names and phones numbers. Folks in city hall deal with the worst of society. So when they see a honest person trying to get their life back together they are more willing to go the extra mile for you. I know, it worked for me. Good luck brother.

Every city in this country has had to deal with ex felons being returned to their local communities. A great place to start would be your local city hall. They have a wealth of information on ex felons trying to better themselves. They have a list of names and companies that hire ex felons looking to restart their lives. The city and or state gives those companies tax breaks for hiring ex felons. So for me, I would suggest going down to your local city hall and asking lots of questions. There is a good amount of info there. Do not phone them, go down there in person and make a face to face contact and start gathering peoples names and phones numbers. Folks in city hall deal with the worst of society. So when they see a honest person trying to get their life back together they are more willing to go the extra mile for you. I know, it worked for me. Good luck brother.

Thanks so much for all your help!

I have been in sales my whole life. First, health club(personal training,memberships), then real estate, and now medical supply(start on oct 10). I was popped in my mid 20s for gear, but got deferred, but it shows an arrest on my record. It has always seemed that sales jobs have been more forgiving for me. If you have the social skills, then the companies mig inht cut you more slack in sales.
I wish you the best of luck bro.

Sorry to hijack this but do tell us your story how you got poped for gear in mid 20's.

Sorry to hijack this but do tell us your story how you got poped for gear in mid 20's.

Went to the border with friends. Usual story. Pulled over on the way home because I drove thru a certain city at the wrong time of night.(interstate no less.)
Scared the shit out of me. Paid everything I had to get deferred. That was when I knew my wife was the one, with the way she stood by me and got me out. We were dating then.

Last edited:
Don't go to ITT. They are way overpriced for a so-so education. I don't know where you live but most community college systems offer similar programs for far less money and the credits will transfer to a university if you ever desire more education later. Also the best thing for someone in your situation is to start your own business.

Thanks Fresh.

Ill go just for the tour and to see what their financial aid and career counselor say about my situation.

Don't go to ITT. They are way overpriced for a so-so education. I don't know where you live but most community college systems offer similar programs for far less money and the credits will transfer to a university if you ever desire more education later. Also the best thing for someone in your situation is to start your own business.

EXCELLENT ADVICE.......... I see this with most of the Nursing programs and Law degrees in Philly. 3 years at community college, last year at Temple University. Your college degree says Temple on it, not community college.

Awesome advice guys.

Thanks so much.

Ill call around to the community colleges and see whats up.

dukki,

I am in the same boat as you bro...

This is how i look at it, try to see if you can get your shit taken off your record or expunged. Usually drug cases can be dropped to misd if you get a lawyer and its not a tough thing to do.

as said above i would not go to itt. honestly bro enroll at a jc and start knocking out online classes. You can basically get paid to go to school while your working...some classes wont be offered online but a shit load of them are.
if you bust your ass in a year and a half from now you could apply to a state school or something and you will have an A.A. Not to mention there is plenty of tale that are looking for jacked tan good looking fools like yourself ha.

it may look like a long process and you may feel like it will never happen but just start the process. You wont regret it. Who knows maybe going through the schooling process you will be turned on to some new passion you never even knew you had and you could end up going into business for yourself in that...thats basically what happened to me. Good luck bro.

EXCELLENT ADVICE.......... I see this with most of the Nursing programs and Law degrees in Philly. 3 years at community college, last year at Temple University. Your college degree says Temple on it, not community college.
You will never get in the medical field with felonies on your record.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131