over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Windows corrupted

Tom

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
My windows is corrupted and beyond repair. I got a linux cd I could install and I'm told my computer will run like new. I would appreciate any feedback from you tech savy guys but please keep it fairly simple as my knowledge in this area is limited...thanks so much.

Areformat will fix it.I would go to safe mode on computer first,go to bleeping computer.com and on tabs click downloads.find tweaking windows and download app and run.Then to rkill to stop processes,next download malbytes and run.This may fix if not to far gone and is free.

You could install linux but it can be a pretty steep learning curve. I like Linux but I have been using it for a very long time and it's came a long way. Which distribution? Why not just reinstall windows?

You could install linux but it can be a pretty steep learning curve. I like Linux but I have been using it for a very long time and it's came a long way. Which distribution? Why not just reinstall windows?

Jim...the guy that gave me the linux cd said it would blow windows away and I would never go back to windows again. All I can tell you about the cd is the information written on it with a sharpie marker. It looks like this:

XFCE
PCLINCX.OS
2012.02 130

For simplicity I would reload windows but before I do I ordered an external hard drive to transfer all my pictures and my son's games. My system is windows vista which leaves a lot to be desired. Is it possible to put Windows 7 on my computer? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Jim...the guy that gave me the linux cd said it would blow windows away and I would never go back to windows again. All I can tell you about the cd is the information written on it with a sharpie marker. It looks like this:

XFCE
PCLINCX.OS
2012.02 130

For simplicity I would reload windows but before I do I ordered an external hard drive to transfer all my pictures and my son's games. My system is windows vista which leaves a lot to be desired. Is it possible to put Windows 7 on my computer? Your feedback is much appreciated.

As Jim stated, Linux isn't just install it and go. If your knowledge is limited (as you mentioned), it may not be the best option for you.

If you did stick with Windows, I HIGHLY recommend switching to Windows 7. It is vastly superior to Vista. I don't recommend Windows 8. I dislike that OS very much and personally don't know anyone that likes it.

It is a good idea to backup all of your important stuff, but you should be able to do a repair install if you have your Vista disc and not lose any personal stuff. I always backup the personal stuff first, just in case.

Once you are up and running again, set your external HD to do weekly updates of all of your important files. It amazes me how many people never backup anything and then cry when they lose all of their "important" docs/pics.

Good luck.

XFCE
PCLINCX.OS
2012.02 130

You can partition your hard drive during installation, assuming it's decent sized you can save your windows partition in case you want to access files or boot into Windows. Then once you transfer the files, you could delete the partition to free up the space.

I'm not familiar with pclinux, but you ought to download the latest release from pclinuxos.com

Ubuntu is the most heavily used version of Linux.

I'd continue saving your files, and restore your system from your restore disk. You'll either have disks that came with your computer or there will be a hidden partition that you'll access to reinstall your original setup as you received the computer. After restoration, reinstall any software or images that you use and you'll be back in business at zero cost (except time).

Windows 7 is nicer than Vista but if it's a Vista computer, it's going to be old and slow in comparison to what you could have today. Essentially, you're computer is probably worth 100.00 at most. It won't be worth updating via purchasing a new version of windows 7 to install on your old computer.

Linux is nice, but you may not have compatibility to some of your programs you currently use...and as others stated, there will be a learning curve which you may or may not feel comfortable with.

Why don't you must torrent Windows and reinstall it. During the installation you can tell it to put all your old files in a Windows.old folder and then it'll re-install the OS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Thank you guys for your feedback and suggestions. Does not sound all that complicated to restore .

You're welcome.

If you consider using a non-legit version of windows, make certain that you check the sha-1 coding to make certain it has not been tampered with. The best way to steal personal information is to inject a virus into your system behind windows.

Personally, stay away from torrents as peer to peer is about the easiest way to get nabbed for stealing copy written data.

If the sha-1 or hash check does not match the official release, I'd advise not using it. There's slic modifications you can make to create an activated version or depending on the version of windows run a KMS server. If you're not tech savvy, stick with legit programs. It will make your life easier. Especially since everything runs off of the base windows system...if that is not working correctly, then the computer may not function for what you need it to do.

You're welcome.

If you consider using a non-legit version of windows, make certain that you check the sha-1 coding to make certain it has not been tampered with. The best way to steal personal information is to inject a virus into your system behind windows.

Personally, stay away from torrents as peer to peer is about the easiest way to get nabbed for stealing copy written data.

If the sha-1 or hash check does not match the official release, I'd advise not using it. There's slic modifications you can make to create an activated version or depending on the version of windows run a KMS server. If you're not tech savvy, stick with legit programs. It will make your life easier. Especially since everything runs off of the base windows system...if that is not working correctly, then the computer may not function for what you need it to do.

Thanks again Se....Although I really appreciate everybody's advice I am going with the legit windows product.

Thanks again Se....Although I really appreciate everybody's advice I am going with the legit windows product.

Good choice if you do decide to take the plunge to the linux side of things take a look at Ubuntu its pretty user friendly for a newbie with an easy to use package manager to install programs. Good luck with reloading windows

Thank you everybody. Got it back up and running. Another year or so and it'll be time to upgrade anyway!

Glad to hear. Did end up restoring your base system through the backup/restore OEM software?

LOL...just took it in to the computer S.O.S. down the street and paid them $140.00. They removed a few hidden nasty viruses and windows started working fine. Thanks again for advice.

I think the best way is to just get another computer. These things seem to last for only so long then they seem to self destruct.
I bought a manuf. refurbished computer off of E-bay for $300. It is a Gateway DX4870 and has the core i3 processor with a 3.3 mhz processing speed. It has Windows 8 on it. Windows 8 dosen't seem to do much more than Windows XP, it just has a lot of more gimmicks on it to make it look more advanced. The real plus on this is the processing speed. It is just 1 second to a website and 1/2 second to the next page. This is the fastest I have ever seen a computer work. This is the best way to go rather than having a computer shop work on it.

Take hard drive out, put it as slave into another pc or just get a usb case adapter will do the same, run a system scandisk from msdos and run a disk freagt and run a norton ghost repair. That will make windows work once you put disk pack into the pc

Greetings!

I did the free windows 10 upgrade and one week later it crashed. This was on a laptop. I created a bootable Ubuntu DVD and presto! I am now a Linux user. The only issue I had was the wifi wouldn't work. But thanks to some gurus on a Linux forum, that was quickly fixed by typing one or two simple commands in the terminal box, while receiving updates online connected to an ethernet cable. After that, everything works fine! This laptop is faster than it ever was with windows7.

I did the free windows 10 upgrade and one week later it crashed. This was on a laptop. I created a bootable Ubuntu DVD and presto! I am now a Linux user. The only issue I had was the wifi wouldn't work. But thanks to some gurus on a Linux forum, that was quickly fixed by typing one or two simple commands in the terminal box, while receiving updates online connected to an ethernet cable. After that, everything works fine! This laptop is faster than it ever was with windows7.

I'm currently running win7 and I refuse to switch to 8, 8.1 or 10. My next PC will be linux based and I haven't decided on the distro yet. I hate the direction windows is taking with the whole Fisher-Price operating system along with making it a tablet version of Apple's OSX. If I wanted OSX I'd buy a Mac but I don't want either.... Linux also thankfully offers the most customization so there's that too.

I agree. Reformat the computer. If you need data from it though, you can boot from a linux live CD and copy your files from the HD to an external hard drive or flash drive first though.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131