over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hemoglobin devices are not accurate.

Thebigone

Kilo Klub Member
A few days ago I got blood work done including my hemoglobin. Then immediately afterwords I went to donate blood didn't drink any water eat anything I changed nothing. At Red Cross they pricked my finger and it showed my hemoglobin was 19.5. Two days later I get my blood results back and it shows my hemoglobin is 16.9. I talked to the lady at Red Cross and she said usually their device is not 100% accurate but it tends to read lower than what it really is but that is bullshit because it read way higher for me then what it truly is.

Yeah, for me I noticed they tend to read high by about 1 point. I had some blood work done around the same time as a blood donation. Blood test said 16.5, the blood donation center read 17.5. The definitely have some error in those units. 2.6 points is certainly way off.

There is an expiration date on the plastic thing that holds the drop of blood (microcuvette). The machine has a calibration sample they can use to test it - some units must be calibrated from time to time as well. I'm sure there are a few sources of error with these desktop test units. It's just not as accurate as a full blood test.

The one I have at home and used to use was accurate within about a half a point (.5) and I think that is probably within the margin of error. Maybe, like the other poster said, the test strips they had were too old or just a bad batch. Bad batches do happen I have read. When I was measuring mine though it was pretty close to the lab results. Might depend on what brand you use. THe one I bought was supposed to be only for sale to medical offices but I bought it on ebay and they didn't ask for credentials. Not sure if they are all like that.

Another thought

If you can establish for sure that yours is a couple of points too high then you could mentally adjust the reading downward by that much and just keep an eye on weather or not your values are going upward or downward over time. Watch the trends.

A few days ago I got blood work done including my hemoglobin. Then immediately afterwords I went to donate blood didn't drink any water eat anything I changed nothing. At Red Cross they pricked my finger and it showed my hemoglobin was 19.5. Two days later I get my blood results back and it shows my hemoglobin is 16.9. I talked to the lady at Red Cross and she said usually their device is not 100% accurate but it tends to read lower than what it really is but that is bullshit because it read way higher for me then what it truly is.

The red cross one has always always always tested high on me.....Ive done the same thing and they say "your iron is high" and then i get a labcorp bloodwork and hemoglobin is always 1-2 points lower....those little red machines are the devil.

I dont give blood anymore because extensive cardio (hikes) done every day at about 50 minutes a pop (or 6 times a week) keep my hemoglobin at 15.5 to 16.5 and hematocrit at 49 (but I told you guys that previously that all cardio fit athletes will have low hematocrit and hemoglobin almost universally)

The red cross one has always always always tested high on me.....Ive done the same thing and they say "your iron is high" and then i get a labcorp bloodwork and hemoglobin is always 1-2 points lower....those little red machines are the devil.

I dont give blood anymore because extensive cardio (hikes) done every day at about 50 minutes a pop (or 6 times a week) keep my hemoglobin at 15.5 to 16.5 and hematocrit at 49 (but I told you guys that previously that all cardio fit athletes will have low hematocrit and hemoglobin almost universally)

Dante do you mind sharing your RHR?

I have yet to see anyone with high hemo that have a low resting heart rate(high 40s, 50s, low 60s) I agree with Dante completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have yet to see anyone with high hemo that have a low resting heart rate(high 40s, 50s, low 60s) I agree with Dante completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just learnt this the hard way. Had a pulse of 92 because my lazy ass didn't want to do cardio and my HCT was a trainwreck. Getting it down to 65 now

the device of blood donation spot is always not accurate anywhere:confused:
having been stopped from donating by friends many times

Very interesting that you don't have to give blood any more - that was the one thing that worried me about aas because I knew I'd be on trt forever. I'm hoping that if I can gradually decrease the dose as I age and keep in cardio / green tea / IP-6 etc I can avoid it completely.

Some people, I am one, just taking TRT of 100mg/wk I still have to get a phlebotomy done once every 3 months or it starts to climb. Using more and I was looking at once a month.

This is a partial post I made in another thread awhile back.

For lack of better terms, deoxyhemoglobin is nonfunctional deoxygenated hemoglobin. Different degrees of deoxyhemoglobin is also seen in those with uncontrolled sleep apnea and polycythemia. Deoxyhemoglobin increases cell mass volume, therefore will show an increase in serum hemoglobin or by a B-hemoglobin photometer. Something he may or may not be aware of, with a finger prick method (B-hemoglobin photometer) this can, on occasion show false highs, if: (a) the machine isn't calibrated correctly and (b) if the phlebotomist takes their jolly time transferring the collection slide to the machine. Normally for a healthy person it takes around 2 to 6 minutes for blood to clot. If we was to quantify the measure of time of a finger puncture to the photometer from minutes to prolonged seconds we would see a gradual increase in hemoglobin. A photometer works by emitting light through the test slide to determine our hemoglobin levels. If partial coagulation has occurred this process will lead to the formation of clots on the slide, reducing the lightwaves, therefore show a falsely elevated hemoglobin.

Most places aren't doing the finger stick anymore due to it being inaccurate and more costly.

The new device that circles your finger(no blood) is more accurate and less invasive.

Blood one uses them now.I have been told everywhere will have them eventually.

Last edited:

DC do you or anyone else know the pathology of how this works? Just curious..thanks.

Some people, I am one, just taking TRT of 100mg/wk I still have to get a phlebotomy done once every 3 months or it starts to climb. Using more and I was looking at once a month.

Do you know your ferritin level?

Do you know your ferritin level?

My hematologist measures that once every 3 months to be sure it isn't too low but he has to keep it low otherwise my hemoglobin level goes out of control. It took us about 2 years to get it down, doing a phlebotomy once a month. What also helped me get it down was to stop taking a multi vitamin that has iron in it. Now my hemoglobin is under control and we are able to keep it around 15 by just doing a phlebotomy once every 3 months. Sometimes I don't even need one, its great. He does say that I need to keep my iron level borderline deficient. At first I was scared I would feel like shit, but I have zero ill symptoms and feel just fine. What does make me feel like shit though is getting my hemoglobin much under 15.

DC do you or anyone else know the pathology of how this works? Just curious..thanks.

Aerobic training (cardio) has been shown to increase the destruction rate of RBC's. Unlike sedentary individuals, cardio enthusiast red blood cells live for approximately 70 day vs 120 days.

My hematologist measures that once every 3 months to be sure it isn't too low but he has to keep it low otherwise my hemoglobin level goes out of control. It took us about 2 years to get it down, doing a phlebotomy once a month. What also helped me get it down was to stop taking a multi vitamin that has iron in it. Now my hemoglobin is under control and we are able to keep it around 15 by just doing a phlebotomy once every 3 months. Sometimes I don't even need one, its great. He does say that I need to keep my iron level borderline deficient. At first I was scared I would feel like shit, but I have zero ill symptoms and feel just fine. What does make me feel like shit though is getting my hemoglobin much under 15.

I'm the opposite. I've been iron deficient several times due to therapeutic phelbotomies.

My ferittin has been in the single digits and mid 20's and I feel like crap. Easily winded and discombobulated. My cognitive function is that of a moron, being in that state.

Last edited:
Speaking of theraputic phlebotomies...what exatly would one who is basically on "self administered HRT" in between their cycles do, if their hematocrit starts rising? I get my bloods done occaisionally through online discounts without a Drs. order, so I know that I'm succetible to this. However for reasons beyond my control I can't always just go donate...is this something I could just point out to the Dr. that I noticed and then request it, or what?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131