over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How to get sweat out of clothes? Laundry tips needed

superbigd

Registered
How are you guys making sure to get all sweat out of clothes? Sometimes I find that I have to wash my clothes twice, and even then they smell like mildew after.

There’s a lot of options from pinesol, to oxyclean, borax, baking soda, vinegar but I’m wondering what chemical or additive actually breaks down sweat and oil rather than mask it.

Here’s a Pinterest tip I’ve seen floating around for a long time…wash your towels in baking soda and vinegar to “refresh” them in order to:

1) get rid of that sour laundry smell that towels are a magnet for
2) strip them of all the fabric softener build up (from dryer sheets)

Refreshing towels – Over time, towels build up detergent and fabric softener, leaving them unable to absorb as much water and smelly. Recharge them by washing them once with hot water and 1 cup vinegar, then a 2nd time with hot water and half cup baking soda. This strips the residue and leaves them fresh and able to absorb more water again.

This works well for clothes, not just towels. I have done this, but just combined the vinegar and baking soda all at once. Worked well

Also liquid fabric softener works wonders

Run vinegar thru your washer on hot cycle. ** Front load washer seem more prone to cause the mildew smell as well.

Last edited:
Let it soak overnight in hot water, and of course detergent. You can add other stuff in, but you really need it to soak. I have 1 damn sweater i'm having problems with:banghead: It might just go in the trash. It smells good coming out and everything, but right when I put it on, it smells like shit.

Whites clothes are easy, as bleach helps. If you have a top loader, you can add a small amount of bleach to the water of color clothes. It doesn't work so well with front loaders from my experience:eek:

Last edited:
Vinegar didnt do shit for me to get rid of the smell of workout clothes. What helped was to 1) start washing gym clothes right after the workout, 2) Use lots of Vanish oxi action in addition to detergent, and 3) extra rinsing in the washing machine.

Just buy new clothes brother. Sometimes smells get locked into clothes and even if they smell fine out of the dryer, once you start sweating in them the smell comes right back.

Are you using one of those hitec efficient energy saver washers? They tend to use much less water than the older models.

vapor fresh.jpg

This stuff works great for my workout clothes! it's the only thing I have found that takes the smell out of my under armour stuff.

oxyclean (you can get off brands now, work just as good) I buy a huge thing of it at Sams. One to two scoops and let it soak. Works great. Also fabric softener for extra freshness!

How much do you use per load and how does it compare to OxiClean?

I just pour some in there without measuring, probably a cup or so.

Way better than oxiclean in my experience. Used it for years and years now after searching for something that would work.

Purcell detergent is the best for that...one wash

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Use fragrant laundry detergent and soak clothes

I always hang whatever gym clothes I wore for the day right after use to air dry then throw them in the hamper the next day. I hang them regardless if they seem dry. Moisture trapped Clothes for days before washing is one of the main reasons gym clothes stink even after washing.

When I wash them, I use a non bleach detergent, oxy clean powder, and half cup baking soda with cold water in the washing machine. I let it soak in the washer for at least an hour before washing. I hang and air dry the clothes after they're done washing. If I have time, I will toss them in the dryer on just the air setting for 15 minutes. Helps gets any lint or dust off the dry clothes and tightens up the material a little bit.

Seems like a lot of work but it's better then replacing dry fit gear all the time especially if you wear the more expensive brands.

Trisodium phosphate, soak your clothes in a mix of tsp and hot water.

They removed phosphates from detergents years ago due to possible algae build up in lakes and streams. Add this in for a few weeks of laundry.

I use vinegar i put some in before i start the machine and put a little in the fabric softener.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity