Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Look what I just came across...

32a36bc0b6a33303ab9725b74ae93199.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Professional Muscle mobile app

Pls get more sleep Dev...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Depends on the chickens diet, the darker one must have ate a better diet

I used to get free range eggs from a farmer , the chickens ate mostly greens and bugs and the yolks were very dark orange

Pls get more sleep Dev...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

i have slept 9 hours last night thinker. Thats how my wicked brain works lol :headbang:

Depends on the chickens diet, the darker one must have ate a better diet

I used to get free range eggs from a farmer , the chickens ate mostly greens and bugs and the yolks were very dark orange

yes i have read the darker more orange the yolk the more nutrient packed the egg yolk is..

When i was on holidays in Spain few years ago the resort served eggs they were so bloody deep rich orange colour and tasted something else. really impressive.

I mean I but the best eggs i can but they only looked this deep richer orange this time around. Never seen them like this before.

Actually, the natural color for egg yolks is yellowish. An orange, darker yolk indicates that the chickens were fed foods high in or enriched with carotenoids. That practice is very prevalent in industrial egg production. So if anything, an orange yolk indicates lower quality food.

All the organic eggs I ever ate had a light yellow yolk.

I recall living in Asia. They sold first time hen eggs in the supermarket. They always had darker/deeper yolk color than the rest

I get free range organic eggs all the time and the yolk is always darker.

OVOS.jpg

**broken link removed**

I cracked an egg and the yolk was grey and crumbled

made a 'hissing' sound when it hit the pan

not good.

I get free range organic eggs all the time and the yolk is always darker.

OVOS.jpg

**broken link removed**
Ok, apparently even the organic chicken feed in the US is enriched with carotenoids. Not the case in Europe... But I guess it makes business sense if people have the belief that the yolk color says something about quality or nutrient richness.

Ok, apparently even the organic chicken feed in the US is enriched with carotenoids. Not the case in Europe... But I guess it makes business sense if people have the belief that the yolk color says something about quality or nutrient richness.

Free range chickens here eat worms and bugs.

Free range chickens here eat worms and bugs.
Exclusively? Don't think that would supply enough calories, unless it's a super small farm. But then again I don't know the US market and its regulations. Maybe you can selectively breed chicken for yolk color... Still, the yolk color doesn't tell you much about nutritional value. Exceptions are of course if the yolk is grey or otherwise rotten.

Actually, the natural color for egg yolks is yellowish. An orange, darker yolk indicates that the chickens were fed foods high in or enriched with carotenoids. That practice is very prevalent in industrial egg production. So if anything, an orange yolk indicates lower quality food.

really ? u sure mate ?

well if it is then its actually good news for me cos i buy British blacktail Columbian hen free range eggs here in UK and they are always light yellow yolk. I always thought they were not so great cos they did not have dark rich orange colour yolk.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Exclusively? Don't think that would supply enough calories, unless it's a super small farm. But then again I don't know the US market and its regulations. Maybe you can selectively breed chicken for yolk color... Still, the yolk color doesn't tell you much about nutritional value. Exceptions are of course if the yolk is grey or otherwise rotten.

I may be getting lost in translation here. Not "production free range", just from friends who own a small farm with 10 or 15 chickens. The animals get around but they probably give them corn too... These are fertilized so every dozen has one or two that were probably forming a baby chicken, so we break them one by one when we cook them.

The egg industry uses the yolk color fan to zero in on and maintain the yolk color it desires for its eggs. Xanthophyll extracts like lutein, β-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin and canthaxanthin, derived from natural sources, are routinely used to micromanage yolk color. Such sources include marigold leaves, yellow maize, green feed like alfalfa, orange peels, algae, carrots, and annatto seeds. Synthetic pigments can be more powerful than naturally derived pigments, but consumer preferences for natural ingredients in feeds have kept the industry focused on natural sources, or liquid extracts thereof.

The manipulation of yolk color isn’t just something practiced by large-scale producers. At a farmers market in Santa Fe, vendor Matt Romero is frying purple Peruvian potato samples. When his friend stops by to say “hi,” Romero opens one of the egg cartons he has for sale, and cracks a pair into the pan. The yolks are a spectacular shade of dark, sunset-red.

“I save all the old red chile that doesn’t pass our cleaning stage,” Romero explains. “Any chile in the field that’s damaged , we feed it to our chickens. They eat the seeds first, then little by little they get to the flesh. The active dye [from chiles] is called zeaxanthin. We call them red chile eggs.”

Because of how easy it is to manipulate egg yolk color, a recent NPR story concluded that judging eggs by their yolks’ color “won’t tell you anything” about their nutrient content.
https://modernfarmer.com/2013/12/marketing-perfectly-colored-egg-yolk/

I remember watching a video where John Meadows said the more orange, the better. Never really looked into it any further. In any case, if I'm cracking open a free range egg, I'm eating it no matter what.

what i have found with the eggs I buy is the yolk is a brighter yellow and the shell is harder, I buy from someone with chickens, that have land to roam and eat on, I have been there several times and they are always out roaming.

I know evidence has been posted and I am sure they make some brighter to fool people they are better (people are very visual) but 100% in my experience the more orange the yolk the better it tends to be. I have bought eggs from many european countries and it's always the same. The darker the yolk the harder the shell usually. You can feel the difference when you crack them and they always taste so much better. The worst eggs tend to be an almost grey (with very light yellow) colour. The worst eggs also tend to crack very easily and are very thin. I have also learned you can't always go by packaging as many "free range" are utter crap. Dev in my experience the best supermarket eggs in the UK are happy egg co. or certain supermarket own free range ones.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131