over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Glycerol

emeric delczeg

IFBB PRO / Verified Customer
IFBB PROS
Registered
Verified Customer
Did you know that the glycerol component provides energy for cellular metabolism.

Glycerol can be converted to glucose by the liver that provides the energy for cellular metabolism.

Don't know the conversion of glucose is necessarily bad from glycerol use.

Glycerol turns over to 60% glucose conversion(gluconeogenesis) in liver/kidney, 30% goes to glycolysis for oxidation, while the token 10% remainder goes to triacylglycerol metabolism. Stanko et al(1993) used 100 grams DHA to 25 grams pyruvate for enhancing muscle glucose extraction during prolonged muscle exercise approximately 20%, and somewhat less effective using only DHA. Intake of 125 grams DHAP(Although optimal levels could also be achieved on 5 grams intake) significantly increased muscle glycogen stores in this study.

Marvin Riedesel (1980, MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS, April) showed that Glycerol metabolization to DHA metabolizes to glucose and increased byproduct water-volume either for storage, urination, tissue fluid stores, or skin cooling.

Last edited:
I have used it and it was a total wash for me NADA, Nothing from it:(

Glycerol can be converted to glucose by the liver that provides the energy for cellular metabolism.

Don't know the conversion of glucose is necessarily bad from glycerol use.

Glycerol turns over to 60% glucose conversion(gluconeogenesis) in liver/kidney, 30% goes to glycolysis for oxidation, while the token 10% remainder goes to triacylglycerol metabolism. Stanko et al(1993) used 100 grams DHA to 25 grams pyruvate for enhancing muscle glucose extraction during prolonged muscle exercise approximately 20%, and somewhat less effective using only DHA. Intake of 125 grams DHAP(Although optimal levels could also be achieved on 5 grams intake) significantly increased muscle glycogen stores in this study.

Marvin Riedesel (1980, MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS, April) showed that Glycerol metabolization to DHA metabolizes to glucose and increased byproduct water-volume either for storage, urination, tissue fluid stores, or skin cooling.

whoah whoah whoah. There is 5g glycerol per tbsp of LBA's. You tellin me that 60% of that becomes glucose? So if im takin 20g in, im getting 12g of carbs/sugar?

whoah whoah whoah. There is 5g glycerol per tbsp of LBA's. You tellin me that 60% of that becomes glucose? So if im takin 20g in, im getting 12g of carbs/sugar?
I don't think it works like that. It is not like eating or ingesting carbs. It only converts to usable glucose once your body processes it. Then it is glycogen stored in the muscle along with extra water it pulls in with it. I'm sure Emeric can explain this better than I can.

Glycerol can EITHER be used to re-esterify free fatty acids into triacylglycerols, or it can enter glycolysis as glycerol-3-phosphate at which point it will continue until it either undergoes gluconeogenesis and converted into glucose, or it will further follow the glycolytic pathway and be converted into pyruvate. What glucose is created, I believe is very small.

I've found that it never effected my blood sugar levels and i was able to use it while following ketogenic diets without it kicking me out of ketosis from what i remember. I don't go keto any more unless I have to.

It's superhydration effects are great and can be obtained with smaller amounts.

Glycerol really kicks ass from my experience. If you are lean, and in a hypocaloric state, it can bring out some vascularity (larger doses) and helps you get through the workouts easier.....much like Emeric stated. This is probably due to the increase in pyruvate and also strength will be up in a hydrated state.

I always enjoyed eating those EAS Advant bars as my pre-workout meal because they were full of glycerol, protein, fiber, fat, etc.

You have to play around with dosing as i've found it isn't going to be "cookie-cutter" each time you use it. Some people get no benefits at all with vascularity appearance, but that may be because of possible higher bodyfat percentages....

I use my protein scoopers to measure my glycerol. The key is to also drink a lot of water with it. There is a ratio or two that most follow, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

BMJ

Last edited:
Glycerol and glycerol monostearate.Are they the same?I think the latter converts to stearic acid ,a saturated fatty acid which does not affect cholesterol like other saturated fatty acids.A 5-10g dose with 1 litre of water is recommended.

What is Glycerol Monostearate?

Glycerol is a carbohydrate formed during the breakdown of fats in our body. Glycerol Monostearate is a fat which is formed when Glycerol is then esterified with Stearic Acid. Stearic Acid itself is a saturated fatty acid, however whereas in most cases saturated fat is bad for your cholesterol, Stearic Acid actually has a neutral or cholesterol-lowering effect on serum cholesterol levels in human studies.

Where to find Glycerol Monostearate:

Glycerol occurs naturally in the body. It can also be found in some foods where it is used as a sweetening agent, however this is in negligible amounts.

Glycerol Monostearate can also be referred to as:

Glycerol, Glycerin, Glycerine, GMS.

PERFORMANCE BENEFITS

Why use Glycerol Monostearate?

Athletes supplement with Glycerol Monostearate for a variety of reasons, including:

Increasing Energy and Endurance — Studies have shown that Glycerol draws water into our bloodstream and then holds it there, almost acting as a sponge. For anybody who exercises, in particular endurance athletes, this can be extremely beneficial. Our bodies rely on water to function, and during strenuous exercise we can lose as much as 2kg (4.4lbs) of water. Supplementing with Glycerol however has the potential to reduce this dramatically, allowing the user to delay the onset of fatigue thereby increasing output and performance. Studies have also shown that drinking a water/Glycerol mixture before training helps to maintain a lower body temperature. This can be beneficial for any kind of endurance athlete, or in particular anybody who is exercising in warm conditions.

Improving absorption of other supplements — The quick improvement in hydration when ingesting Glycerol in supplemental form results in a faster delivery of nutrients when and where you need them the most, and a prolonged "pump effect" during your workouts.

Increasing Fat Loss — Well technically Glycerol won’t reduce your body fat, however it can give this illusion! It is commonly used by models and athletes before photo-shoots or competitions, as it gives the impression of increased definition and vascularity. When taken before exercise it can also provide the user with a prolonged ‘pump’, making muscles appear bigger than they actually are.

health BENEFITS

Why use Glycerol Monostearate?

Glycerol has no real health benefits to note. However its ability to prevent dehydration and maintain a lower body temperature could be useful for those living or holidaying in warm climates.

Serving Size

For athletes we would recommend taking 5-10g, with at least 1 litre (1000ml) of water.

Timing

Glycerol is best consumed before, during and after exercise in order to maximise its effects. You could however just consume it during exercise, or just before and after exercise. It is best taken on an empty stomach, however please note that this could cause nausea.

Synergists

Glycerol can only function with water. Without water it can actually serve to dehydrate the body. Taking it with water is therefore absolutely essential.

Safety

Users have reported side-effects including nausea, bloating and light-headedness. The best method may be to see how you respond to supplementing with Glycerol at a lower dosage over the course of a few days. If you have an existing medical condition, including high blood pressure or diabetes then we would not recommend that you use this product.

Toxicity

There is no known toxicity of Glycerol.

Bans/Restrictions for Use

Glycerol has been banned by some USA sporting organizations, including the NCAA. If you are a competitive athlete then please check with your relevant authority before using this product!

Note

Glycerol MonoStearate is hygroscopic (it absorbs water from the air, so keep lid tightly closed at all times).

1 tea spoon = 27 calories and 60% as sweet as sucrose, has about the same food energy as table sugar, the good news is that is does not raise blood sugar levels.

Elmeric

1 tea spoon = 27 calories and 60% as sweet as sucrose, has about the same food energy as table sugar, the good news is that is does not raise blood sugar levels.

If I take 4 tablespoons of LBA's at a time, how much water should I use each time...I am using 16 oz right now.

Can it be used carb in carb laoding phase for a contest. i heard that it helps to suck the water under the skin.

I have used it and it was a total wash for me NADA, Nothing from it:(

What kind of feelable seeable effects did you expect? Its a hydration product----dehydration=catabolism.
Its not going to give you the effects of using trenbolone.

THANK YOU!

What kind of feelable seeable effects did you expect? Its a hydration product----dehydration=catabolism.

IT AMAZES ME THAT THESE GUYS THINK THIS WAY.......GREAT POST D. HOW MUCH WATER SHOULD ONE DRINK WITH 1 TBS LBA? DANTE CAN ANSWER THAT ONE........AT LEAST 1 CUP PER IMO

Can anyone tell me if using glycerol monostearate produces the same result?
Also for hydration purposes, can you take it with BCAA during training also?

that sounded kind of rude and i didnt mean it to come out like that----i feel a huge problem in the bodybuilding community is dehydration---it cannot be understated enough---I believe by and large most bodybuilders walk around dehydrated 24/7.......those 2 guys a couple years back that died of kidney failure on these boards....I theorize that was because of their chronic usage of ephedrine (they never trained without it)....which raised their blood pressure along with creating chronic dehydration = kidney failure....add up protein intake, higher body mass, training, cardio, other stimulants used that make you sweat (caffeine) etc......= bodybuilders do alot of things that the general public doesnt which creates an arena for dehydration. There is a soccer player in my town who I see alot that is on dialysis because of this very situation (chronic dehydration that lead to kidney failure).....

that sounded kind of rude and i didnt mean it to come out like that----i feel a huge problem in the bodybuilding community is dehydration---it cannot be understated enough---I believe by and large most bodybuilders walk around dehydrated 24/7.......those 2 guys a couple years back that died of kidney failure on these boards....I theorize that was because of their chronic usage of ephedrine (they never trained without it)....which raised their blood pressure along with creating chronic dehydration = kidney failure....add up protein intake, higher body mass, training, cardio, other stimulants used that make you sweat (caffeine) etc......= bodybuilders do alot of things that the general public doesnt which creates an arena for dehydration. There is a soccer player in my town who I see alot that is on dialysis because of this very situation (chronic dehydration that lead to kidney failure).....
Very good post DC. I couldn't agree more. Not far from here on a hot summer day a young, very healthy, very fit young man (19-20) walked into a gym. The gym was air conditioned and they had a water cooler. He got on a rowing machine and started to row. Within 5 minutes he keeled over off of the machine DEAD!! Yes dropped dead JUST LIKE THAT. Massive coronary on the spot, cause of death, dehydration and heat exhaustion. He was a local sports person, played for the local football team, cricket team and track athlete. Very sad and very avoidable.

SO I agree with you DC most people, let alone BBer walk around dehydrated. Drink more water guys. It will help with your gains and keep you alive longer!!!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear