over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

decided to start training calves for prep

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
started my prep this week (16 weeks) and decided to train calves once a week through the whole thing , I normaly don't train calves because they are naturaly big and respond very quick.

Pic didn't load

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180226-100832~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20180226-100832~2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 385
Must be nice....

Nice Ryders though

Last edited:
They look fantastic. It makes me laugh as I can't help but wonder what my calves would look like if I had your calf genetics. There you post with your great calves after deciding to train them once weekly for a short time :D I have trained them everyday for 1 year and well tried absolutely everything you could think of at other times. Now I am training them twice per week with relatively low volume but high intensity. It was only syntherol that made them transform. It's the same with all the guys I know who have great calves though. Most don't even train them and if they do it's a standard workout not pushing it much. Good luck for your show.

They look fantastic. It makes me laugh as I can't help but wonder what my calves would look like if I had your calf genetics. There you post with your great calves after deciding to train them once weekly for a short time :D I have trained them everyday for 1 year and well tried absolutely everything you could think of at other times. Now I am training them twice per week with relatively low volume but high intensity. It was only syntherol that made them transform. It's the same with all the guys I know who have great calves though. Most don't even train them and if they do it's a standard workout not pushing it much. Good luck for your show.

Just personal experience, but I found everyday was too much and once or twice a week was too little but found my optimal recovery time to be every other day. Heavy and train them first to have better intensity.

Edit tried to attach a pic of calves but pic was way too big lol

Last edited:
Just personal experience, but I found everyday was too much and once or twice a week was too little but found my optimal recovery time to be every other day. Heavy and train them first to have better intensity.

Edit tried to attach a pic of calves but pic was way too big lol

Done all that matey. The once per day for 1 year was just at the extreme. I have trained them eod for long periods. Trained them 1 day per week for long periods. They go at the start of my workout but I have also played about with timing. Then comes reps and anything from 5 to 100 reps. Obviously most of the time they are in the 10-20 rep range but I have had success with 30-40 rep routines in the past.

Most of the time they are trained 2-4 times per week with a mixture of reps but always super intense. The amount of hours I have spent researching form and well everything is very high. Point being I have put more into my calves than any other body part with subpar results. They are looking decent now though just would expect more from all the abuse I have given them over the years. They are also extremely strong and I train them brutally hard... again played about with intensity over the years too. I can transform most peoples calves but some people just have certain muscles that don't respond very well.

Done all that matey. The once per day for 1 year was just at the extreme. I have trained them eod for long periods. Trained them 1 day per week for long periods. They go at the start of my workout but I have also played about with timing. Then comes reps and anything from 5 to 100 reps. Obviously most of the time they are in the 10-20 rep range but I have had success with 30-40 rep routines in the past.

Most of the time they are trained 2-4 times per week with a mixture of reps but always super intense. The amount of hours I have spent researching form and well everything is very high. Point being I have put more into my calves than any other body part with subpar results. They are looking decent now though just would expect more from all the abuse I have given them over the years. They are also extremely strong and I train them brutally hard... again played about with intensity over the years too. I can transform most peoples calves but some people just have certain muscles that don't respond very well.

I have a friend that’s the same way , we have done everything (except synthol) to get them to grow , every weight and rep scheme , doing his injections there , IGF-DES at 100mcg in each calf (50mcg per head) and nothing has worked.
Genetics play a HUGE roll , my mom and dad both had nice calves even in their 60’s
I have a similar situation with my traps , as much as I have trained them they never respond like everything else.

I have a friend that’s the same way , we have done everything (except synthol) to get them to grow , every weight and rep scheme , doing his injections there , IGF-DES at 100mcg in each calf (50mcg per head) and nothing has worked.
Genetics play a HUGE roll , my mom and dad both had nice calves even in their 60’s
I have a similar situation with my traps , as much as I have trained them they never respond like everything else.

Exactly. Every body part is genetic but I think the difference can be seen in calves more than most simply due to the fact we walk on them all day. We all know people with good calves who don't even train. Some may play sports or ride a bike but others literally nothing and their calves are good. Certain bigger (fat) people have crazy calves as well from all the walking round at their body weight. It just shows me the differences in genetics. Look at Dennis Wolf. He is a complete freak all over and his calves are awful... looks like a shark has bitten them off! I am sure he done alsorts to them as well. Regardless your calves are looking great so well done.

Gunsmith I obviously wouldn't have trained my calves like I did if they responded like yours do. I also understand some guys need to hold off training certain bodyparts due to proportion and the fact they respond so well. Although I don't think calves is one of those so if I were you I would probably just go for it for about 1 year and see how freaky you can make your calves. If they respond like that you could have Ben Palulski calves in 1 year :)

By the way what do you think of the Ryders? I have 2 pairs (black and grey). They were amazing at first but I find over time they stretch quite a lot and get too loose. The reason they were so good to begin with becomes the reason why they aren't great later on. When I first used them they were so comfortable. I notice they have just brought out Red D-Mak's and of course they have the new Kai Greene as well.

By the way what do you think of the Ryders? I have 2 pairs (black and grey). They were amazing at first but I find over time they stretch quite a lot and get too loose. The reason they were so good to begin with becomes the reason why they aren't great later on. When I first used them they were so comfortable. I notice they have just brought out Red D-Mak's and of course they have the new Kai Greene as well.

I like them so far , haven't had them but a month or so.
I don't wear them tight at all but being all suede I can see how they would stretch over time.
The only reason I got them is because I've always squated bare foot and now the punk ass gym manager says I can't so I just wanted something as close to bare foot as possible. As for the color , I was thinking they were more pink and wanted a breast cancer support idea for a trainer at our gym.

man I would do anything to grow calves like that. talk about stubborn body part

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Freaking SOLID calves...I'm hitting them hard at 4x a week now and theyre finally responding

I like them so far , haven't had them but a month or so.
I don't wear them tight at all but being all suede I can see how they would stretch over time.
The only reason I got them is because I've always squated bare foot and now the punk ass gym manager says I can't so I just wanted something as close to bare foot as possible. As for the color , I was thinking they were more pink and wanted a breast cancer support idea for a trainer at our gym.

Yours are pink aren't they? Or do you mean they are not as pink as you thought when first ordering. They have brought out red ones but that was very recent so after you ordered yours. They are great when you first wear them especially when training legs. As you alluded to due to the suede they may stretch and that's what happened to mine. I ordered 3 pairs but don't like wearing the older ones now due to how much they have stretched. It only took about 20-30 gym days for me as well.

Yours are pink aren't they? Or do you mean they are not as pink as you thought when first ordering. They have brought out red ones but that was very recent so after you ordered yours. They are great when you first wear them especially when training legs. As you alluded to due to the suede they may stretch and that's what happened to mine. I ordered 3 pairs but don't like wearing the older ones now due to how much they have stretched. It only took about 20-30 gym days for me as well.

Ryder calls the color “fuchsia” , I was wanting more of a pink color because we have a friend in the gym that’s battling breast cancer and wanted to help show some support aside from the hats we had made

I've got the Kai greens and yes they do stretch over a period of time
My first ones were the cork looking ones
All and all they are a durable shoe and not bad for squating in

i wish i could get mine to grow. no matter what i do they don't respond to anything.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear