over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Steroid use and life expectancy?

DrivingForward

Registered
I've been searching and have been largely unable to find unbiased information linking Steroid use and Life Expectancy. Lately I've become alittle concerned as I look at a number of very well respected users who have died somewhere between 30 and 45 years of age. I suspect that a number of other factors contributed to their deaths, maybe recreational drug use, experimental supps/drugs/peptides, constant stress of binge eating to bulk, and then severe calorie restricted dieting back down to cut... etc

I look at some of the wrestling starts from the 80's and 90's (who I idolized as a kid), who died before hitting 40.

I see some very respected members of multiple boards (IE Swolecat, or Big Bapper, Brooklyn Juice, ETC) who died far too young. Keep in mind, I never knew any of these guys personally, and I don't know what led to their untimely passings. Am I incorrect to think maybe steroid usage contributed?

If infact the Steroid use contributed significantly, at what level of usage does juicing become significantly dangerous?

Anyone? This wasn't intended as a rant, I'm not anti-steroid! I'm just trying to see some sort of hard evidence linking the two, that wasn't put together by some joke of a public-service ad campaign!

I think its amazing how long the pros live to be with the things they do to themselves. So what would that mean for an average AAS user?

i think u need to consider other ppl too as stallone, even hogan, arnold...there has to many factors that link between early death and steroids im pretty sure use does not mean early death

I've been searching and have been largely unable to find unbiased information linking Steroid use and Life Expectancy. Lately I've become alittle concerned as I look at a number of very well respected users who have died somewhere between 30 and 45 years of age. I suspect that a number of other factors contributed to their deaths, maybe recreational drug use, experimental supps/drugs/peptides, constant stress of binge eating to bulk, and then severe calorie restricted dieting back down to cut... etc

I look at some of the wrestling starts from the 80's and 90's (who I idolized as a kid), who died before hitting 40.

I see some very respected members of multiple boards (IE Swolecat, or Big Bapper, Brooklyn Juice, ETC) who died far too young. Keep in mind, I never knew any of these guys personally, and I don't know what led to their untimely passings. Am I incorrect to think maybe steroid usage contributed?

If infact the Steroid use contributed significantly, at what level of usage does juicing become significantly dangerous?

I beleive that big bapper died of a blood clot that was in his leg, it was going to be operated on.

Big dogs don't generally live as long as little dogs. The impact of aas on life expectancy would be an extremely tough study. The impact of high blood pressure and atherosclerosis on heart attack and stroke are a lot easier. If you avoid the deadly side effects of aas and are not a 300 pounder it would be darn near impossible to trace mortality effects back to aas.

I agree a lot with what robot said.

Steroids can cause high blood pressure, kidney and liver problems. We all know this, and that's why we take extra steps to prevent those things. However you can't grow muscle without eating and it usually involves a lot of eating. I believe, that our diet can do much more harm to our bodies than steroids ever will so long as they are used correctly. I'm not saying if you over eat then your doomed, because I often eat more than I should. You just have to pick healthier foods is all I'm tryin to say.

While steroid use may have contributed somewhat to these guys' deaths, the fact is that the whole life style can be hazardous to your health. Eating massive amounts of food alone is not really all that healthy...even if the food itself is "good" for you. Too much of anything is a bad thing. AAS are mostly dangerous because alot of guys don't do the smart thing and get regular blood work or monitor their BP. Having high LDL and low HDL can wreck havoc on your body. Personally I just found this out with my last blood work...and I was feeling great but come to find out my cholesterol was all fucked up and my liver values were 4 to 5 times elevated above normal. And my blood pressure was hovering around 140/55. All of those combined over a long period of time may not kill you but they will certainly lead to problems down the road unless you keep your health in check.

Here's a study I found on calorie restricted diets and life expectancy. I've read another article about this before but they used mice. In this study they have used monkeys. I guess there working their way up to humans. Anyway here's the link. **broken link removed**

Also I should add that the shear massiveness of guys nowadays has really changed the whole game. Being 300 lbs of fat may be different than 300 lbs of muscle, but the fact is the the organs are still very much stressed even if you are 300lbs with 8% body fat. Many people think the body mass index is bullshit....and for bodybuilders it is BS, but for overall health and longevity it is probably the best thing to go by if you wanna live a long life (provided you actually take care of yourself...we all know super skinny dudes that treat their bodies like absolute shit). Back in the 70's and even 80's drug use amongst pro bodybuilders was substantially less than what it is nowadays and come to think of it I can't think of any guys that had an off season weight of over maybe 280 (I could be wrong though). Arnold I think competed at 235 and was around 260 in the off season...and that dude is 6'2"!!! He has had his share of health issues though, mostly heart related I believe.

This has been covered numerous times but I will tell you what I remember.
One of the most extensive studies on life extension was done by the World Health Organization and concluded from its study: the only way to extend life is a low calorie(1,200 kcals) diet.Not very condusive to bodybuilding ,huh? lol.

Not many studies have been done on AAS due to ethics and them being a controlled substance.There is a couple IE the 600mg testosterone study and one on Anadrol 50 and 100mg per day.

Those wrestlers you mentioned were a lot to do with substance abuse and hard living.

Also I should add that the shear massiveness of guys nowadays has really changed the whole game. Being 300 lbs of fat may be different than 300 lbs of muscle, but the fact is the the organs are still very much stressed even if you are 300lbs with 8% body fat. Many people think the body mass index is bullshit....and for bodybuilders it is BS, but for overall health and longevity it is probably the best thing to go by if you wanna live a long life (provided you actually take care of yourself...we all know super skinny dudes that treat their bodies like absolute shit). Back in the 70's and even 80's drug use amongst pro bodybuilders was substantially less than what it is nowadays and come to think of it I can't think of any guys that had an off season weight of over maybe 280 (I could be wrong though). Arnold I think competed at 235 and was around 260 in the off season...and that dude is 6'2"!!! He has had his share of health issues though, mostly heart related I believe.

i think kidney right?

I don't know if Arnold is 6'2" There was a whole thing about it on the news in CA while he was running for governor. I heard he's really 5'11

Last edited:
I find it funny when a wrestler with a coke habit, booze problem, pain killer addiction, and just happens to use steroids dies it's automatically blamed on steroids. These must be the best doctors in the world if they can automatically eliminate all the other causes.

I will also say that today's bodybuilders use so many other drugs that the chances steroids lead to their deaths is slim. I'm not saying they are healthy, but when you compare them with insulin and diuretics the risks are not quite the same.

I find it funny when a wrestler with a coke habit, booze problem, pain killer addiction, and just happens to use steroids dies it's automatically blamed on steroids. These must be the best doctors in the world if they can automatically eliminate all the other causes.

i was thinking the same thing, a lot of the wrestlers partied really hard and it had it's toll on them...

Alot of it probably has to do with how the BB world has changed. I'm sorry but I know for one I would NEVER wanna look like Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman. It can not be healthy to get this huge. I probably pissed off some ppl here saying that but hey to each their own man...

A nice 220-240 6'2 would be nice but fawk being 300+ with a six pack 5'10''. It just can not be healthy brother...Plus it def brings a lot of bad attention to the sport...kinda hard to deny or hide the use of drugs at that level being that big and lean........

Its not the aas its the lifestyle of pushing everything to the extreme that shortens lives.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear