over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Curcumin: Overhyped trend?

G.I.Bro

Banned
Registered
First, I will say I am a user and proponent of curcumin. But articles like this make me wonder if its as amazing as we all like to think it is.

Deceptive curcumin offers cautionary tale for chemists : Nature News & Comment

...Scientists have published the most comprehensive critical review yet of curcumin — concluding that there’s no evidence it has any specific therapeutic benefits, despite thousands of research papers and more than 120 clinical trials. The scientists hope that their report will prevent further wasted research and alert the unwary to the possibility that chemicals may often show up as ‘hits’ in drug screens, but be unlikely to yield a drug.

It's real, the bioavailability is just poor. This is quite common with many supplements.
Try taking with piperine.

As far as I know this injectable Curcumin makes my joints feel awesome and I have no aches or pains..

I have been on 1500mg a day for 3 months now,,it has helped a little.

I can't even begin to try to count the number of studies I've seen touting it's benefits. I find this strange. I hope it's wrong.

The biggest problem with these studies is they never tell us the method of administration and what form of curcumin they used.

I agree, form is huge. And a lot of the studies aren't using these proprietary deliver forms to increase bioavailability. I like LEF BCM-95. I wouldn't bother taking it unless it was Meriva, Longvida, BCM 95 or Sabinsa C3.

I took the oral version for quite a few years before switching to injectable. 600mg a week of the inj(taken 3-4 times per week) is wayyyyy more effective then the pills

Its night and day really.

Anyone ever see their CRP levels pre and post curcumin usage with bloodwork?

Virtually everyones CRP levels go down dramatically....

nevermind the arthritis help
nevermind the potential heart remodeling and anti cardiomyopathy effects
nevermind that India (with all the toxins and sewage etc etc in their lives) has a insanely lower rate of cancer compared to the United States. This is ridiculous because there are places in India that are so carcinogenic its ridiculous....but according to various sources

{ U.S. men get 23 times more prostate cancer than men in India. Americans get between 8 and 14 times the rate of melanoma, 10 to 11 times more colorectal cancer, 9 times more endometrial cancer, 7 to 17 times more lung cancer, 7 to 8 times more bladder cancer, 5 times more breast cancer, and 9 to 12 times more kidney cancer. This is not mere 5, 10, or 20 percent more, but 5, 10, or 20 times more. Hundreds of percent more breast cancer, thousands of percent more prostate cancer}

USA is 7th..India isnt even on that list! https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/24/worldwide-cancer-rates-uk-rate-drops

****There are places in India where they wash themselves in water supplies and there is sewage and dead animals in their waterways!

Yet the stats dont lie ALL CANCERS DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY

And they chalk this up time and time again to their incredibly high tumeric and curry usage.

If anything...in my opinion its underated.

Last edited:
It gets confusing on what one to purchase... There is the life extension bcm 95 that claims 7 times better absorbtion ( I use this one predominately) but I have also seen great studies saying the MERIVA version is much better absorbed than bcm95.. I might give the MERIVA version a try..

I'm a fan of curcumin, don't get me wrong. But I found the study and people talking about it concerning. They aren't exactly slouches and the study shows what it shows. It's like comparing overwhelming good anecdotal observations that are positive (and highly susceptible to placebo) and raw data that just isn't that hot. It sucks.

I'm a fan of curcumin, don't get me wrong. But I found the study and people talking about it concerning. They aren't exactly slouches and the study shows what it shows. It's like comparing overwhelming good anecdotal observations that are positive (and highly susceptible to placebo) and raw data that just isn't that hot. It sucks.

Agree.. But then again there is numerous other studies that show positive benefits.. It can get confusing but I can only go by the positive IVE experienced..

I can't even begin to try to count the number of studies I've seen touting it's benefits. I find this strange. I hope it's wrong.

The biggest problem with these studies is they never tell us the method of administration and what form of curcumin they used.

Yup, thats the big problem because they throw these "products" in the same bag. Same happens with vitamins and minerals for example. They take synthetic vitamin e from a $2 bottle from walmart, do studies and conclude its dangerous in high doses. When in reality, we know vitamin E is composed by multiple tocopherols and is poorly absorbed in synthetic form, even dangerous. But thats just an example. Like that, there are many complexities with micronutrients.

Anyone ever see their CRP levels pre and post curcumin usage with bloodwork?

Virtually everyones CRP levels go down dramatically....

nevermind the arthritis help
nevermind the potential heart remodeling and anti cardiomyopathy effects
nevermind that India (with all the toxins and sewage etc etc in their lives) has a insanely lower rate of cancer compared to the United States. This is ridiculous because there are places in India that are so carcinogenic its ridiculous....but according to various sources

{ U.S. men get 23 times more prostate cancer than men in India. Americans get between 8 and 14 times the rate of melanoma, 10 to 11 times more colorectal cancer, 9 times more endometrial cancer, 7 to 17 times more lung cancer, 7 to 8 times more bladder cancer, 5 times more breast cancer, and 9 to 12 times more kidney cancer. This is not mere 5, 10, or 20 percent more, but 5, 10, or 20 times more. Hundreds of percent more breast cancer, thousands of percent more prostate cancer}

USA is 7th..India isnt even on that list! https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/24/worldwide-cancer-rates-uk-rate-drops

****There are places in India where they wash themselves in water supplies and there is sewage and dead animals in their waterways!

Yet the stats dont lie ALL CANCERS DEATH RATE BY COUNTRY

And they chalk this up time and time again to their incredibly high tumeric and curry usage.

If anything...in my opinion its underated.

I've never had pre-curcumin CRP levels but on curcumin, the three times I've had them checked, they were 0.4, 0.3, and 0.2 respectively. There is virtually no way in hell I'm coming off curcumin if that is why I have virtually no inflammation at all.

Note: I was using BCM95, then Novasol, then Biomor for the 3 tests. Either all have worked or I just have low inflammation for good lifestyle habits (I haven't had sugar in almost two years).

Yup, thats the big problem because they throw these "products" in the same bag. Same happens with vitamins and minerals for example. They take synthetic vitamin e from a $2 bottle from walmart, do studies and conclude its dangerous in high doses. When in reality, we know vitamin E is composed by multiple tocopherols and is poorly absorbed in synthetic form, even dangerous. But thats just an example. Like that, there are many complexities with micronutrients.

Exactly!!! They never make it clear which form they use. It can be very misleading.

Curcumin has been proven over and over again to be effective

I've never had pre-curcumin CRP levels but on curcumin, the three times I've had them checked, they were 0.4, 0.3, and 0.2 respectively. There is virtually no way in hell I'm coming off curcumin if that is why I have virtually no inflammation at all.

Note: I was using BCM95, then Novasol, then Biomor for the 3 tests. Either all have worked or I just have low inflammation for good lifestyle habits (I haven't had sugar in almost two years).

I like it (curcurmin)...alot

but you forget India has a huge vegetarian population which in itself reduces cancer risk (especially colonic).... I mean its like 30-35% veggie (the biggest in the world as that 350 million odd people) .... so India has more vegetarians than the rest of the world combined !

still curcurmin is one of my 1st team supplements that's always present....

Last edited:
It shouldnt be a surprise that a clinical review suggest circumin is "bunk" for lack of a better term....hell, fish oil has been a staple in BBing and health conscious people for YEARS and every couple years a review comes out saying that it does more harm than good.

well . . .

I think, again this is my opinion, it that what we are seeing in some countries (often cited)
with low rates of disease (think cancers, etc.) is that many go undiagnosed, are under reported
and in many cases, sadly, go treated.

There are exceptions to this, I understand that, but those countries are not the ones I am
referring to.

In this country and in most ‘developed’ or ‘advanced’ societies we are far better at finding,
diagnosing these diseases, reporting them which may be why we such an uptick in the numbers.

It is human nature to look for the ‘secret’, magic supplement, ingredient, the silver bullet, that
will cure what ails you. It is much like bodybuilding where we think there is some perfect, secret
training routine, exercise, or supplement stack that will make us realize our dreams and aspirations.
It is unfortunate that the supplement companies prey on folks that are susceptible to that ideology
but again, that is just human nature at play . . .

we can often find studies to support both sides of various arguments.

as we all know the issue with many sups is HOW you take them....

antiox at this level are also sort of a new frontier.

for myself have tried many times with n without curc, and life is just better WITH. lol

:star-w:rs

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner