over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Very High Testosterone Levels on a very low dose

tigerlilyx61

Registered
I really need some advice here guys and gals.

I got some lab results back that said my total testosterone blood levels was 737 ng/dL.

I am 54 years old, been body building for about 5 years now.

I am 5'3" and 135 lbs, maybe 20% body fat. (pictures on here somewhere)

I had a hysterectomy but they left one ovary 5 years ago.

I have run a few supplements over the last couple of years in low doses like testosterone anavar, Tbol and HGH. I tried a few peptides also.

I lift probably 5 days a week for an hour to an hour and half with cardio in there as a warm up and sometimes on my off nights.

My diet is very clean with oat meal and eggs in the morning, salad and salmon for lunch, steak and green beans for dinner and chicken breast and blue berries post work out.

I have been using my husbands topical testosterone cream for the past few years to increase my blood levels and love the results. The cream is prepared by a compounding pharmacy so we are reasonably sure of the concentration. He uses .6 ml of the cream daily to increase his levels to the 600-800 ng/dL range. I have been using only .1 ml but for some reason that seems to have raised my level to 737 ng/dL.

I have also been taking 10 to 12.5 mg of Tbol a day.

So how did my blood levels for total testosterone get so high. I have used higher amounts like .2-.3 mg of the topical in the past and my numbers were in the 300 range so we cut it back to the .1mg.

It is possible that the Tbol is not really Tbol so if it is not, is there or are there other oral products that can be raising my testosterone levels this much. I don't know much about oral AAS so I have no idea if any of them are actually a form of testosterone that you can ingest or if they will show up in lab tests as high testosterone levels

The lab was Labcorp

I also ran Estradiol and it came back at 31 pg/mL

Total Estrogens was 77 pg/mL

Serum Estriol was <0.1 ng/mL

I feel fine with no ill side affects and plenty of positive affects.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

are you asking a serious question..???

is this a joke...???

test...and tbol...??? 2 compounds i would NEVER
recommend a female to run..

:cool:

Care to add something useful

Hi Tenny:

I have not seen your posts on here before, are you new to the board?

So how about providing something useful to the conversation other than your derogatory attitude.

It is clearly a question and the question was not "what do you think of my supplement protocol"

Do you have an education in Endocrinology. If so then maybe you could explain why you think woman should not run testosterone in low doses. And as far as the Tbol, it was actually recommended by a personal trainer rather than Anavar based on its likelihood of being what they claim it was and its low androgenic affect. I have followed up on this and agree that it probably is a safe choice.

Do you know of some magical amplifying affect of the Tbol on the testosterone that you are not sharing or do you just disagree with women doing any AAS supplements.

Maybe you were rubbing rubbing to the hubby hubby and absorbed some of his.

Test again.

My wife has just recently been prescribed a progesterone/testosterone cream therapy. They are still in the early stages, and working on dialing the dosage in. She goes back for testing on the 18th of Aug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a pre/perimenopausal female to use testosterone. It's recognition is becoming more of the norm with several different subclasses of women with sexual dysfunction and as an adjuvant to female HRT. My wife is prescribed androgel by her physician.

Nonetheless, I would ask.

1). Where are you applying the cream? Was it near the site of the veinpuncture in the bend of your elbow, median cubital vein?

2). The Tbol very well can have a cross-reactivity on a testosterone assay, thus giving false highs of serum testosterone.

3). Are you taking any of these Norethindrone meds;
Aygestin, Micronor, Errin, Heather, Jolivette, and Camila?

If I was to wager, given the high range of your testosterone and that your E2 and total estrogens are low (which by the way is too low and not healthy). I'm guessing it's a cross-reactivity from the Tbol.

I agree with Stewie, many labs use a cheap testing method for most hormone tests that will pickup anything similar also. I actually posted some in depth info a while back if you are interested, but suffice it to say if it will fool the receptor it will probably fool the test.

Hi Tenny:

I have not seen your posts on here before, are you new to the board?

So how about providing something useful to the conversation other than your derogatory attitude.

It is clearly a question and the question was not "what do you think of my supplement protocol"

don't know how i missed this. yeah what tigerlily said. i've not seen this Tenny either. he's probably some lurker noob.
post intended to boost search on sponsor tmtprepandtraining.

Just checking in after being shamed by Tenny

I did check and Tenny is legit, he has been on here for some time and has enough experience to speak from a knowledgeable place. That being said I still don't think it excuses his "I'm smarter than you attitude", especially since he is now trying to launch a personal training business. I have had a similar experience with another online trainer so I am a bit sensitive to on line trainers expressing themselves inappropriately on line. Specifically saying things in emails and forums that they would never say to someone face to face.

I greatly appreciate the responses from you guys who have some experience with this. I should have retested by now but I have been too busy. The lab I use is an hour away.

So if you followed the questions here are my answers for what it is worth.

As far as where I am applying the small amount of topical testosterone cream, it definitively was now where near where the blood draw was from. I let you guys guess where I am putting it. I don't know if makes a difference but my boyfriend and I have been definitely enjoying the side affects of added testosterone.

If anyone is really interested in the health benefits of women also managing their testosterone levels I highly recommend you find a copy of a book called "The testosterone syndrome" by Dr. Eugene Shippen. It clearly documents the value of women as well as men keeping their testosterone levels where they should be.

So I think it is reasonable to assume the tbol is showing up as testosterone in the blood test. I have tried to self educate myself on what the various AAS will do to blood lab tests levels but have not found much.

I have since started a different source of tbol and again it is only 12.5 mg a day. This with the very small amount of topical testosterone still has me wondering how I got such a high test result so retesting is really necessary before any definitive conclusions are drawn.

As far as the estrogen levels, this is another area that has me wondering. I was surprised at the low levels. I would have thought the aromatization? of the testosterone would have resulted in higher levels but obviously is has not. (I am not taking any AIs) Maybe that is suggestive of the tbol showing up as testosterone and the testosterone levels are actually lower than the the lab test levels suggest. As far as them being too low for good health or good sexual function, I have not noticed any negative affects. I have a great sex drive and have no dryness issues. I really have been lucky in that I really have not had any post menopausal issues. No hot flashes, no weight gain. So what does cause woman's post menopausal issues. I always thought it was the loss of estrogen or progesterone since the treatment was to supplement these hormones.

I have run HGH in the past along with Novedex and got really good results with the diet and training. I got really cut on that but was also running the low test and tbol. I had to stop the HGH because the side affects of numbness in my arms and tendinitis were so bad.

I like the HGH but the sides are just too debilitating for me. My boyfriend had the same problem after his IGF-1 levels were elevated for a long time. He really had a serious tendinitis problem for a while that cleared up completely 4 months after stopping the HGH.

So it is a learning processes and anyone that has something constructive to add to the discussion, please feel free to chime in. And thanks to those that have.

Tigerlily

don't know how i missed this. yeah what tigerlily said. i've not seen this Tenny either. he's probably some lurker noob.
post intended to boost search on sponsor tmtprepandtraining.

Attachments

• IMG_1635[1].jpg
    IMG_1635[1].jpg
    282 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:
lol....its fuckin common sense.

don't fuck around with male hormone
and then bitch your test is too high....
the same amount on him wont be the same
for you....Toms amount wont work for Dick and Harry.

and 700s is not that high....you should be feeling great with that.

ive seen females with 1800s:eek:

and i confused tbol with sdrol....that amount of tbol should be fine for you.

so sorry about that.

i would stop the tgel.....stick with the tbol if you like it so much.
im not sure how long the gel stays active....at least maybe switch
to everyother day. then get tested

lol....its fuckin common sense.

don't fuck around with male hormone
and then bitch your test is too high....
the same amount on him wont be the same
for you....Toms amount wont work for Dick and Harry.

and 700s is not that high....you should be feeling great with that.

ive seen females with 1800s:eek:

and i confused tbol with sdrol....that amount of tbol should be fine for you.

so sorry about that.

i would stop the tgel.....stick with the tbol if you like it so much.
im not sure how long the gel stays active....at least maybe switch
to everyother day. then get tested

My God Tenny, can you compose a response to a post without coming off obnoxious. Just putting "lol" in front of a comment does not hide the fact that it is still a smart ass comment. Your first response here started out as "Is this a joke" without the "lol" so I think we really know what your trying to say and it is not respectful in the least and helpful to no one but maybe yourself.

So you misread my first post and that is supposed to explain why you came off as rude that time. So now what is your excuse? What should have started out as an apology actually is another cut. Do you have a problem with women or do you address men's posts on here in the same manner?

I mentioned that I previously had an experience with an online trainer that had trouble with online communication and maybe that was your problem also. Well I guess we have an answer to that question.

You have responded twice now and you still have not understood the questions but provided overly confident advice.

So, now that you have at least comprehended the compounds involved here, lets look at the response. "don't fuck around with male hormones and then bitch about your test is too high". It sounds like you are trying to say that these are somehow "your hormones" and that I should not be using them because I am not a male. And what, only men know how to use male hormones? First of all I am far from "fucking around with" this product. And second, I am not bitching about the results. Do we need to have a discussion about how hormone replacement therapy, which is widely practiced by the medical community, understands that supplementation of testosterone in men and testosterone and estrogen in women is common practice? I know exactly how much testosterone I am using and I know what to expect in the way of blood levels. I don't consider that "fucking around". The tbol is another issue which you did not mention. One, I don't really know that it is tbol (but I believe it is more likely tbol than Anavar is to actually be Anavar). I also really don't know the concentration but I do not suspect it to be several times more concentrated than the stated 50 mgs per tablet.

I asked a very simple question without over simplifying it since I expected "experienced, educated, respectful participants" to read, understand and contribute to the discussion. So here is that simplified question for you or anyone else.

Have you ever run just tbol and had a lab test result for testosterone show up elevated? Yes or no? Simple enough.

The second question is have you ever ran testosterone and tbol together and seen abnormally high lab results for total testosterone?

Tenny, you have provided answers to neither of these two questions. You have, however, clearly felt the need to provide answers in the form of your opinion on several other topics, none of which were asked about, and done so in a condescending way.

I know people use this forum to ask advice on cycles and that seems to be what you have directed your final response towards. To that end, let me clarify this, I like the results of the testosterone, both physical and psychological. I know that the supplement is exactly what it is supposed to be and there is a ton of research that verifies that both women and men need to have specific blood levels to maintain good health. I would have to say I disagree on the advice to drop it (and I was not asking for an opinion on the matter). The tbol makes much more sense to drop, if that was the question we are discussing (again, which we are not). Getting retested, I do agree with, but again, that also was not the question.

You know after all this, Tenny, maybe it would be best for you to just ignore this thread as I don't think it is going to help sell your online training service.

Tiger... I spoke with my spouse as she has very extensive knowledge of this. Using a low dose of your boyfriends or husbands Gel says that you don't have a prescription for it. That's not to say that you couldn't get one but something different is prescribed to females such as 10mg Android and a few other brands. Men's test is made for men, thus it is more potent as it does different things for a male as opposed to a female. Not sure how long post menopausal you are but normally a doc wants to wait 3-5 years post. So it's possible that even in a what may be conceived as a harmless dose of Test Gel is just a little too much for you or some females. Also wanted to recommend even if there is a remote chance you may get pregnant again a female child will have problems if conceived with a lot of male traits. Otherwise I am told there is no real problem with doing what you are doing if you are ok with some of the consequences but look into the methyl testosterone instead.

Tiger... I spoke with my spouse as she has very extensive knowledge of this. Using a low dose of your boyfriends or husbands Gel says that you don't have a prescription for it. That's not to say that you couldn't get one but something different is prescribed to females such as 10mg Android and a few other brands. Men's test is made for men, thus it is more potent as it does different things for a male as opposed to a female. Not sure how long post menopausal you are but normally a doc wants to wait 3-5 years post. So it's possible that even in a what may be conceived as a harmless dose of Test Gel is just a little too much for you or some females. Also wanted to recommend even if there is a remote chance you may get pregnant again a female child will have problems if conceived with a lot of male traits. Otherwise I am told there is no real problem with doing what you are doing if you are ok with some of the consequences but look into the methyl testosterone instead.

This could not be further from the truth. Please don't pass off false information on a topic you have no understanding of.

tigerlilyx61, I'm a member at excelmale. Nelson Vergel has compiled a tremendous amount of information on this particular topic.

**broken link removed**

And further reading on testosterone usage with females.

Effects of transdermal testosterone in poor responders undergoing IVF: systematic review and meta-analysis. - PubMed - NCBI

Testosterone therapy for reduced libido in women

Benefits and risks of testosterone treatment for hypoactive sexual desire disorder in women: a critical review of studies published in the decades preceding and succeeding the advent of phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors

Are you a Dr?
Having limited knowledge on only what was written here I passed most of it on. If you read it all tell me what is wrong with what I was relaying? I could give you scores of writing from real books that support what I said. Endocrinologists won't prescribe treatment unless both ovaries are out OR they are post menopausal... Maybe you should do some more reading into methyl testosterone... Which by the way I said was fine... Furthermore if you think the part about if giving birth to a female child while using testosterone gives them male traits and could have other serious side effects than you are the one who is clueless

Are you a Dr?
Having limited knowledge on only what was written here I passed most of it on. If you read it all tell me what is wrong with what I was relaying? I could give you scores of writing from real books that support what I said. Endocrinologists won't prescribe treatment unless both ovaries are out OR they are post menopausal... Maybe you should do some more reading into methyl testosterone... Which by the way I said was fine... Furthermore if you think the part about if giving birth to a female child while using testosterone gives them male traits and could have other serious side effects than you are the one who is clueless

I'm I a Dr. No, actually I'm in pursuant of being a P.A (physicians assistant).

I have no clue of what I'm talking about either.

Hey guys please don’t fight on here on my behalf. I’m doing enough of that with Tenny LOL.

So for starters; thanks to both of you for chiming in with respectful responses.  While we might be on a different subject, I think there is still something to be learned here.  I do believe Stewie is correct regarding HRT for females.  Retired, I think you might want to look into what you wife is being told or reading because the following is what I found when I looked up “Anadroid”. First of all, Anadroid is the product name for Methyltestosterone.

Methyltestosterone is one of the oldest available oral steroids. It is produced by many various manufacturers and sold in a number of countries including the U.S.. It is quite androgenic, with minimal anabolic effects. For athletic purposes, methyltestosterone is generally only used to stimulate aggression among power lifters and those looking to boost up their workouts.Many methyltestosterone tablets are sublingual (to be placed under the tongue) for faster absorption. These tabs can generally be identified by a notable citrus flavor to them. A couple tabs placed under the tongue before a visit to the gym may make for an aggressive workout. Aside from this, methyltestosterone offers little except androgenic side effects. It is quite toxic, elevating liver enzymes and causing acne, gynecomastia, aggression and water retention quite easily. Were one to tolerate these side-effects, methyltestosterone will offer little more than some slight strength gains. One looking for quality muscle mass from a steroid cycle should be looking elsewhere. Counterfeit steroids sometimes contain only methyltestosterone in an effort to deceive the buyer. This is due to the fact that it is very cheap in bulk and obviously may fool an inexperienced user.  (this was taken from a website called “thinksterioids.com” It is simply a form of testosterone that can be taken orally and the methyl addition allows it to pass through the liver to the blood like the rest of the oral steroids.  There is no difference in the testosterone circulating in your blood from it other than the fact that you stressed your liver to get it.

I think many doctors prescribe it because they are unfamiliar with topical and do not want to prescribe injections.  While HRT is more common today, there are plenty of doctors out there that really don’t understand it well enough to be prescribing it or they are concerned about the liability of patients self-injecting.  Do you have any idea how many doctors are prescribing Androgel without prescribing an estrogen control like arimidex or a luteinizing hormone like HCG?  My boyfriend’s doctor said she was prescribing Androgel to many of her patients but was not prescribing the Arimidex or HCG.  All of them eventually stopped seeing the positive results of the added testosterone and stopped the treatment.  We suspect they all ended up with elevated E2 levels.  I would like to see what is published about women’s E2 levels on testosterone replacement therapy.

I do have to say that you may have helped uncover what is actually going on here.  As the article states above, Methyltestosterone is often substituted for other oral steroids because it is cheap and available.  So I suspect we may have a possible source.  However, I am not convinced since I am only taking a small amount early AM and I gave the blood sample late in the afternoon.  If you have to take this product 4 times a day that suggests it does not have a long half-life and should not have shown up at 4 pm.

So don’t let your wife or you be fooled, there is no female testosterone or male testosterone.  It is all the same just configured for different means of delivery.  Your blood level is what is important and while we are on the subject, the previous recommendation by Tenny to use the topical every other day further suggests he has little understanding of the subject since the everyday application is what makes topical’s preferable to injection.  You get more even blood levels closer to your natural production.  Lowering your dose is an option.  I also see that I clearly stated what my levels were on a higher dose in that first post.

One more thing I had to point out is Retired you must not have read my first post since I clearly stated I have had a hysterectomy five years ago.  I don’t think there is any question about getting pregnant.  I also think the recommendation to wait 3-5 years is to reduce the doctors liability not health based.

So now the question is, what other oral forms of testosterone are there and so any of them have longer half-lives.  I guess I need to do some more research.  

Also, thank you again Stewie for your input and the links.    

jeez you women can just find anything to bitch about
its unreal..

yes tbol WILL raise test.....do you know how to use google...???

everybody else does.....does this answer your question sweetheart../??

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Are you a Dr?

Testosterone therapy in women: Myths and misconceptions

I got your PM. I prefer to keep a logical fact based debate in the open forum.

This dispells each and every-one of "your" misconceptions and myths. You my friend, are the one that needs to "read-up on hormone replacement therapy.

Just so you're aware. Post graduate I'll be working for a OB-GYN just south of you in Peoria, IL. That's very well versed with Male and Female hormone replacement.

Testosterone therapy in women: Myths and misconceptions
Rebecca GlaserConstantine Dimitrakakis
Show more
Abstract
Although testosterone therapy is being increasingly prescribed for men, there remain many questions and concerns about testosterone (T) and in particular, T therapy in women. A literature search was performed to elucidate the origin of, and scientific basis behind many of the concerns and assumptions about T and T therapy in women.

This paper refutes 10 common myths and misconceptions, and provides evidence to support what is physiologically plausible and scientifically evident: T is the most abundant biologically active female hormone, T is essential for physical and mental health in women, T is not masculinizing, T does not cause hoarseness, T increases scalp hair growth, T is cardiac protective, parenteral T does not adversely affect the liver or increase clotting factors, T is mood stabilizing and does not increase aggression, T is breast protective, and the safety of T therapy in women is under research and being established.

Abandoning myths, misconceptions and unfounded concerns about T and T therapy in women will enable physicians to provide evidenced based recommendations and appropriate therapy.

Abbreviations
T, testosteroneE2, estradiolDHT, dihydrotestosteroneU.S., United StatesAR, androgen receptorER, estrogen receptor
Keywords
TestosteroneImplantsWomenTherapySafetyMisconceptions
1 Introduction
Testosterone (T) therapy is being increasingly used to treat symptoms of hormone deficiency in pre and postmenopausal women. Recently, especially with the advent of the T patch, additional research has been, and is currently being conducted on the safety and efficacy of T therapy. However, particularly in the United States (U.S.), there still exist many misconceptions about T and T therapy in women. This review addresses, and provides evidence to refute, some of the most common myths.

A major source of misconceptions regarding T therapy in women arises from epidemiological studies implicating elevated (endogenous) T levels with certain diseases. This data is misleadingly delivered to produce a pathogenic model of these diseases without enough evidence or plausibility to support a causative role. False conclusions repeated often enough, especially when supported with anecdotal observations, create ‘myths’ that become widely accepted, even in the absence of any biological or physiological rationale.

Another source of confusion concerning the safety of T therapy in both men and women is the extrapolation of adverse events (e.g., mental status changes, aggression, cardiac and liver problems, endocrine disturbances, abuse potential) from high doses of oral and injectable anabolic-androgenic steroids to T therapy, despite a lack of evidence. In this review, testosterone (T) refers only to bio-identical (human identical molecule) testosterone, not to oral, synthetic androgens or anabolic steroids.

In England and Australia, T is licensed and has been used in women for over 60 years. However, as of 2013, in the U.S., there is no licensed T product for women and human/bio identical T is regulated as a ‘schedule 3’ drug and included as a ‘class X’ teratogen.

2 ‘Top 10’ myths about testosterone use in women

2.1 Myth: Testosterone is a ‘male’ hormone
Even in scientific publications, T has been referred to as the ‘male hormone’. Men do have higher circulating levels of T than women; however, quantitatively, T is the most abundant active sex steroid in women throughout the female lifespan (Fig. 1) [1]. T is measured in 10-fold higher units than estradiol (E2), i.e., nanograms/dl or micromolars compared to picograms/ml or picomolars for E2. In addition, there are exponentially higher levels of proandrogens: dihydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS), dihydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and androstenedione, supplying significant amounts of T to the androgen receptor (AR) in both sexes. In fact, the measured ranges of androgen precursors are similar in men and women.

Fig. 1. Throughout the female lifespan, testosterone (T) is the most abundant active steroid. T levels are significantly higher than estradiol (E2) levels, adapted from Ref. [1].

Despite any clear rationale, estrogen was assumed to be the hormone of ‘replacement therapy’ in women. However, as early as 1937, T was reported to effectively treat symptoms of the menopause [2]. From a biologic perspective, women and men are genetically similar, having both functional estrogen receptors (ERs) and functional androgen receptors (ARs). Interestingly, the AR gene is located on the X chromosome. T, in balance with lower amounts of E2, is equally important for health in both sexes. In addition, T is the major substrate for E2 and has a secondary effect in both sexes via the ER.

Fact

Testosterone is the most abundant biologically active hormone in women

2.2 Myth: Testosterone's only role in women is sex drive and libido
Despite many recent publications, T's role in sexual function and libido is only a small fraction of the physiologic effect of T in women. Functional AR's are located in almost all tissues including the breast, heart, blood vessels, gastrointestinal tract, lung, brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, bladder, uterus, ovaries, endocrine glands, vaginal tissue, skin, bone, bone marrow, synovium, muscle and adipose tissue [3] and [4].

Testosterone and the pro-androgens decline gradually with aging in both sexes. Pre and post-menopausal women, and aging men, may experience symptoms of androgen deficiency including dysphoric mood (anxiety, irritability, depression), lack of well being, physical fatigue, bone loss, muscle loss, changes in cognition, memory loss, insomnia, hot flashes, rheumatoid complaints, pain, breast pain, urinary complaints, incontinence as well as sexual dysfunction. These symptoms of androgen deficiency are becoming increasingly recognized in women, and treated with T therapy [5], [6] and [7]. Rating scales for symptoms of androgen deficiency have been developed in an effort to standardize severity of symptoms and to measure treatment effectiveness. Functional, biologically active, ARs are located throughout the body in both sexes: to assume that androgen deficiency does not exist in women, or that T therapy should not be considered in women, is unscientific and implausible.

Fact

Testosterone is essential for women's physical and mental health and wellbeing

2.3 Myth: Testosterone masculinizes females
It has been recognized for over 65 years, that T effect is dose dependent and that in lower doses, T ‘stimulates femininity’ [8]. Although pharmacologic doses of T and supra-pharmacological doses of T used to treat female to male transgender patients, may result in increased facial hair growth, hirsutism, and slight enlargement of the clitoris; true masculinization is not possible. Unwanted androgenic side effects are reversible by lowering the T dose: however, because of the dose dependent beneficial effects of T, many women prefer to treat the side effects rather than lower the dose [9] and [10].

As previously mentioned, in the U.S. androgens are listed as a ‘class X’ teratogen. Although 400–800 mg/d of danazol, a potent synthetic androgen, can result in clitoromegaly and fused labia (without long term effects) in some female fetuses; there is no evidence that T, delivered by pellet implant (i.e., a daily dose of 1–2 mg) or topical T has any adverse effect on a fetus, even in animal studies [11] and [12]. Animal studies have shown that virilization of a female fetus requires extremely high doses of T (>30 times normal maternal levels, >50–500 times ‘human’ T doses) administered over an extended period of time [12], [13] and [14].

There is a significant rise in (endogenous) maternal T levels during pregnancy, up to 2.5–4 times non-pregnancy ranges. However, the placenta buffers hormone diffusion and is a source of abundant aromatase, which metabolizes maternal T [15] and [16]. T stimulates ovulation, increases fertility and has been safely used in the past to treat nausea of early pregnancy without adverse effects [8].

Fact

Outside of supra-pharmacologic doses of synthetic androgens, testosterone does not have a masculinizing effect on females or female fetuses

2.4 Myth: Testosterone causes hoarseness and voice changes
Hoarseness is common, affecting nearly 30% of persons at some point in their life, with 6.6% of the adult population affected at any given time. Hoarseness is more prevalent in women than men. Most common causes of hoarseness are inflammatory related changes due to allergies, infectious or chemical laryngitis, reflux esophagitis, voice over-use, mucosal tears, medications and vocal cord polyps. There is no evidence that T causes hoarseness. In addition, there is no physiological mechanism by which T could be expected to do so. T deficiency is listed as a ‘cause’ of hoarseness [17]. Physiologically, this is consistent with the anti-inflammatory properties of T.

Although a few anecdotal case reports and small questionnaire studies have reported an association between 400 and 800 mg/d of danazol and self-reported, subjective voice ‘changes’ [17] and [18]; a prospective, objective study demonstrates the opposite. 24 patients receiving 600 mg of danazol therapy daily were studied at baseline, 3 months and 6 months. The authors reported that there were no vocal changes that could be attributed to the androgenic properties of danazol [19]. This is consistent with the findings of our current, 1 year, prospective study examining voice changes on pharmacologic doses of subcutaneous T implant therapy in women (under publication).

Although high doses of anabolic steroids in female rats can cause irreversible vocal cord changes, there is no evidence that this is true for T replacement doses in humans. If a patient experiences voice changes or hoarseness on T therapy, a standard workup should be performed.

Fact

There is no conclusive evidence that testosterone therapy causes hoarseness or irreversible vocal cord changes in women

2.5 Myth: Testosterone causes hair loss
There is no evidence that T or T therapy is a cause of hair loss in either men or women. Although men do have higher T levels than women, and men are more likely to have hair loss with age, it is unreasonable to assume that T, an anabolic hormone, causes hair loss. Hair loss is a complicated, multifactorial, genetically determined process that is poorly understood. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), not T, is thought to be the active androgen in male pattern balding. Female ‘androgenic’ alopecia refers to a (male) pattern of hair loss in women, rather than the etiology.

Although some women with PCOS and insulin resistance have higher T levels, and do have hair loss, this does not prove causation. Hair loss is common in both women and men with insulin resistance [20] and [21]. Obesity and insulin resistance increase 5-alpha reductase, which increases conversion of T to DHT in the hair follicle [22]. Also, obesity, age, alcohol, medications and sedentary lifestyle increase aromatase activity, lowering T and raising E. Increased DHT, lowered testosterone, and elevated estradiol levels can contribute to hair loss in genetically predisposed men and women; as can many medications, stress and nutritional deficiencies.

Approximately one third of women experience hair loss and thinning with aging, coinciding with T decline. We have previously reported that two thirds of women treated with subcutaneous T implants have scalp hair re-growth on therapy. Women who did not re-grow hair on T were more likely to be hypo or hyperthyroid, iron deficient or have elevated body mass index. In addition, none of 285 patients treated for up to 56 months with subcutaneous T therapy complained of hair loss, despite pharmacologic serum T levels on therapy [10].

Fact

Testosterone therapy increases scalp hair growth in women

2.6 Myth: Testosterone has adverse effects on the heart
Men have higher levels of testosterone than women: men have a higher incidence of heart disease; however, it is illogical to assume that T causes or contributes to cardiovascular (CV) disease in either sex. Unlike anabolic and oral, synthetic steroids, there is no evidence that T has an adverse effect on the heart. In addition, it is not physiologically plausible.

There is overwhelming biological and clinical evidence that T is cardiac protective [23]. T has a beneficial effect on lean body mass, glucose metabolism and lipid profiles in men and women; and has been successfully used to treat and prevent CV disease and diabetes [24]. T acts as a vasodilatorin both sexes, has immune-modulating properties that inhibit atheromata, and has a beneficial effect on cardiac muscle [25], [26] and [27].

Low T in men is associated with an increased risk of heart disease and mortality from all causes [28] and [29]. In addition, low T is an independent predictor of reduced exercise capacity and poor clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure. Similar to men, T supplementation has been shown to improve functional capacity, insulin resistance and muscle strength in women with congestive heart failure [30].

Testosterone is a diuretic. However, T can aromatize to E2, which can have adverse effects including edema, fluid retention, anxiety, and weight gain. Medications, including statins and anti-hypertensives, increase aromatase activity and elevate E2, indirectly causing side effects from T therapy.

Fact

There is substantial evidence that testosterone is cardiac protective and that adequate levels decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease

2.7 Myth: Testosterone causes liver damage
Although high doses of oral, synthetic androgens (e.g., methyl-testosterone) are absorbed into the entero-hepatic circulation and adversely affect the liver; parenteral T (i.e., subcutaneous implants, topical patch) avoids the entero-hepatic circulation and bypasses the liver. There are no adverse affects on the liver, liver enzymes or clotting factors [31]. Non-oral T does not increase the risk of deep venous thrombosis or pulmonary embolism unlike oral estrogens, androgens and synthetic progestins.

Despite the concern over liver toxicities with anabolic steroids and oral synthetic androgens, there are only 3 reports of hepatocellular carcinoma in men treated with high doses of oral synthetic methyl testosterone. Even benign tumors (adenomas) were exceedingly rare with oral androgen therapy.

Fact

Non-oral testosterone does not adversely affect the liver or increase clotting factors

2.8 Myth: Testosterone causes aggression
Although anabolic steroids can increase aggression and rage, this does not occur with T therapy. Even supra-pharmacologic doses of intramuscular T undecanoate do not increase aggressive behavior [32].

As previously mentioned, T can aromatize to E2. There is considerable evidence in a wide variety of species, that estrogens, not T, play a major role in aggression and even hostility through action at ER alpha [33] and [34].

In women, we previously reported that subcutaneous T therapy decreased aggression, irritability and anxiety in over 90% of patients treated for symptoms of androgen deficiency [5]. This is not a new finding: androgen therapy has been used to treat PMS for over 60 years.

Fact

Testosterone therapy decreases anxiety, irritability and aggression

2.9 Myth: Testosterone may increase the risk of breast cancer
As early as 1937 it was recognized that breast cancer was an estrogen sensitive cancer; that T was ‘antagonistic’ to estrogen and could be used to treat breast cancer as well as other estrogen sensitive diseases including breast pain, chronic mastitis, endometriosis, uterine fibroids and dysfunctional uterine bleeding [8]. However, some epidemiological studies have reported an association between elevated androgens and breast cancer. Notably, these studies suffer from methodological limitations, and more importantly, do not account for associated elevated E2 levels and increased body mass index. In addition, the ‘cause and effect’ interpretation of these inconsistent observational studies conflicts with the known biology of T's effect at the AR. AR signaling exerts a pro-apoptotic, anti-estrogenic, growth inhibiting effect in normal and cancerous breast tissue [35] and [36].

Clinical trials in primates and humans have confirmed that T has a beneficial effect on breast tissue by decreasing breast proliferation and preventing stimulation from E2 [37] and [38]. It is the T/E2 ratio, or the balance of these hormones that is breast protective. T does not increase, and likely lowers the risk of breast cancer in women treated with estrogen therapy [39]. Although T is breast protective, it can aromatize to E2 and have a secondary, stimulatory effect via estrogen receptor (ER) alpha.

T combined with an aromatase inhibitor (subcutaneous implant) has been shown to effectively treat androgen deficiency symptoms in breast cancer survivors and is currently being investigated in a U.S. national cancer study as potential therapy for these symptoms, as well as, aromatase induced arthralgia [40] and [41].

Fact

Testosterone is breast protective and does not increase the risk of breast cancer

2.10 Myth: the safety of testosterone use in women has not been established
There are many excellent reviews on the safety of parenteral T therapy in women [6] and [7]. Testosterone implants have been used safely in women since 1938. Long-term data exists on the efficacy, safety and tolerability of doses of up to 225 mg in up to 40 years of therapy [9] and [42]. In addition, long term follow up studies on supra-pharmacologic doses used to ‘female to male’ transgender patients report no increase in mortality, breast cancer, vascular disease or other major health problems [43] and [44].

Many of the side effects and safety concerns attributed to T are from oral formulations, or are secondary to increased aromatase activity, subsequent elevated E2 and its effect at the ER. Aromatase activity increases with age, obesity, alcohol intake, insulin resistance, breast cancer, medications, drugs, processed diet and sedentary lifestyle. Although often overlooked or not addressed in clinical studies, monitoring aromatase activity and symptoms of elevated E2, is critical to the safe use of T in both sexes.

Fact

The safety of non-oral testosterone therapy in women is well established, including long-term follow up

3 Conclusion
Adequate T is essential for physical, mental and emotional health in both sexes. Abandoning myths, misconceptions and unfounded concerns about T and T therapy in women will enable physicians to provide evidence based recommendations and appropriate therapy.

Contributors
Rebecca Glaser and Constantine Dimitrakakis contributed equally to the research and the writing of the manuscript.

Competing interest
Neither author (RG, CD) has any competing interests.

Funding
None was secured or received for writing the review.

Provenance and peer review
Commissioned and externally peer reviewed.

References
[1]
C. Dimitrakakis, J. Zhou, C.A. Bondy
Androgens and mammary growth and neoplasia
Fertility and Sterility, Volume 77, 2002, pp. 26–33
Article | PDF (258 K)
[2]
U.J. Salmon
Effect of testosterone propionate upon gonadotropic hormone excretion and vaginal smears of human female castrate
Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine (New York, NY), Volume 3, 1937, pp. 488–491
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (2)
[3]
H. Takeda, G. Chodak, S. Mutchnik, T. Nakamoto, C. Chang
Immunohistochemical localization of androgen receptors with mono-and polyclonal antibodies to androgen receptor
Journal of Endocrinology, Volume 126, 1990, pp. 17–25
View Record in ScopusCiting articles (173)
[4]
C.M. Wilson, M.J. McPhaul
A and B forms of the androgen receptor are expressed in a variety of human tissues
Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, Volume 120, 1996, pp. 51–57
Article | PDF (915 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (167)
[5]
R. Glaser, A.E. York, C. Dimitrakakis
Beneficial effects of testosterone therapy in women measured by the validated Menopause Rating Scale (MRS)
Maturitas, Volume 68, 2011, pp. 355–361
Article | PDF (498 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (19)
[6]
K. Maclaran, N. Panay
The safety of postmenopausal testosterone therapy
Womens Health, Volume 8, 2012, pp. 263–275
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (5)
[7]
D.A. Davey
Androgens in women before and after the menopause and post bilateral oophorectomy: clinical effects and indications for testosterone therapy
Womens Health, Volume 8, 2012, pp. 437–446
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (3)
[8]
A.A. Loeser
Male hormone in gynaecology and obstetrics and in cancer of the female breast
Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey, Volume 3, 1948, pp. 363–381
View Record in ScopusCiting articles (1)
[9]
R. Glaser, S. Kalantaridou, C. Dimitrakakis
Testosterone implants in women: pharmacological dosing for a physiologic effect
Maturitas, Volume 74, 2013, pp. 179–184
Article | PDF (531 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (6)
[10]
R.L. Glaser, C. Dimitrakakis, A.G. Messenger
Improvement in scalp hair growth in androgen-deficient women treated with testosterone: a questionnaire study
British Journal of Dermatology, Volume 166, 2012, pp. 274–278
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (6)
[11]
P.J. Brunskill
The effects of fetal exposure to danazol
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Volume 99, 1992, pp. 212–215
View Record in ScopusCiting articles (24)
[12]
M.F. Tarttelin
Early prenatal treatment of ewes with testosterone completely masculinises external genitalia of female offspring but has no effects on early body weight changes
Acta Endocrinologica, Volume 113, 1986, pp. 153–160
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (2)
[13]
C.J. Wolf, A. Hotchkiss, J.S. Ostby, G.A. LeBlanc, L.E. Gray
Effects of prenatal testosterone propionate on the sexual development of male and female rats: a dose–response study
Toxicological Sciences, Volume 65, 2002, pp. 71–86
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (99)
[14]
A.K. Hotchkiss, C.S. Lambright, J.S. Ostby, L. Parks-Saldutti, J.G. Vandenbergh, L.E. Gray
Prenatal testosterone exposure permanently masculinizes anogenital distance, nipple development, and reproductive tract morphology in female Sprague-Dawley rats
Toxicological Sciences, Volume 96, 2007, pp. 335–345
View Record in ScopusCiting articles (51)
[15]
M. Mizuno, J. Lobotsky, C.W. Lloyd, T. Kobayashi, Y. Murasawa
Plasma androstenedione and testosterone during pregnancy and in the newborn
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 28, 1968, pp. 1133–1142
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (43)
[16]
M.R. Syme, J.W. Paxton, J.A. Keelan
Drug transfer and metabolism by the human placenta
Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Volume 43, 2004, pp. 487–514
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (246)
[17]
S.R. Schwartz, S.M. Cohen, S.H. Dailey, et al.
Clinical practice guideline: hoarseness (dysphonia)
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Volume 141, 2009, pp. S1–S31
Article | PDF (1054 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (117)
[18]
M.A. Pattie, B.E. Murdoch, D. Theodoros, K. Forbes
Voice changes in women treated for endometriosis and related conditions: the need for comprehensive vocal assessment
Journal of Voice, Volume 12, 1998, pp. 366–371
Article | PDF (418 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (18)
[19]
F. Nordenskjöld, S. Fex
Vocal effects of danazol therapy
Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, Volume 63, 1984, pp. 131–132
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (4)
[20]
S. Arias-Santiago, M.T. Gutiérrez-Salmerón, L. Castellote-Caballero, A. Buendía-Eisman, R. Naranjo-Sintes
Androgenetic alopecia and cardiovascular risk factors in men and women: a comparative study
Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Volume 63, 2010, pp. 420–429
Article | PDF (194 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (54)
[21]
V. Matilainen, M. Laakso, P. Hirsso, P. Koskela, U. Rajala, S. Keinänen-Kiukaanniemi
Hair loss, insulin resistance, and heredity in middle-aged women. A population-based study
European Journal of Cardiovascular Risk, Volume 10, 2003, pp. 227–231
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (36)
[22]
J.W. Tomlinson, J. Finney, B.A. Hughes, S.V. Hughes, P.M. Stewart
Reduced glucocorticoid production rate, decreased 5α-reductase activity, and adipose tissue insulin sensitization after weight loss
Diabetes, Volume 57, 2008, pp. 1536–1543
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (41)
[23]
T.H. Jones, F. Saad
The effects of testosterone on risk factors for, and the mediators of, the atherosclerotic process
Atherosclerosis, Volume 207, 2009, p. 318
Article | PDF (232 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (86)
[24]
J. Møller, H. Einfeldt
Testosterone treatment of cardiovascular diseases: principles and clinical experience
1984, Springer-Verlag pp. 1–83
[25]
G.M.C. Rosano, F. Leonardo, P. Pagnotta, et al.
Acute anti-ischemic effect of testosterone in men with coronary artery disease
Circulation, Volume 99, 1999, pp. 1666–1670
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (268)
[26]
S. Worboys, D. Kotsopoulos, H. Teede, B. McGrath, S.R. Davis
Evidence that parenteral testosterone therapy may improve endothelium-dependent and-independent vasodilation in postmenopausal women already receiving estrogen
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 86, 2001, pp. 158–161
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (114)
[27]
C.J. Malkin, P.J. Pugh, J.N. West, E.J.R. van Beek, T.H. Jones, K.S. Channer
Testosterone therapy in men with moderate severity heart failure: a double-blind randomized placebo controlled trial
European Heart Journal, Volume 27, 2006, pp. 57–64
View Record in ScopusCiting articles (222)
[28]
C.J. Malkin, P.J. Pugh, P.D. Morris, S. Asif, T.H. Jones, K.S. Channer
Low serum testosterone and increased mortality in men with coronary heart disease
Heart, Volume 96, 2010, pp. 1821–1825
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (119)
[29]
G.A. Laughlin, E. Barrett-Connor, J. Bergstrom
Low serum testosterone and mortality in older men
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 93, 2008, pp. 68–75
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (427)
[30]
F. Iellamo, M. Volterrani, G. Caminiti, et al.
Testosterone therapy in women with chronic heart failure: a pilot double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study
Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Volume 56, 2010, pp. 1310–1316
Article | PDF (272 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (83)
[31]
D.J. Handelsman, A.J. Conway, C.J. Howe, L. Turner, M.A. Mackey
Establishing the minimum effective dose and additive effects of depot progestin in suppression of human spermatogenesis by a testosterone depot
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 81, 1996, pp. 4113–4121
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (120)
[32]
D.B. O’Connor, J. Archer, F.C.W. Wu
Effects of testosterone on mood, aggression, and sexual behavior in young men: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 89, 2004, pp. 2837–2845
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (72)
[33]
B.C. Trainor, H.H. Kyomen, C.A. Marler
Estrogenic encounters: how interactions between aromatase and the environment modulate aggression
Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, Volume 27, 2006, pp. 170–179
Article | PDF (278 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (78)
[34]
M. Giammanco, G. Tabacchi, S. Giammanco, D. Di Majo, M. La Guardia
Testosterone and aggressiveness
Medical Science Monitor: International Medical Journal of Experimental and Clinical Research, Volume 11, 2005, p. RA136
View Record in ScopusCiting articles (85)
[35]
T.E. Hickey, J.L.L. Robinson, J.S. Carroll, W.D. Tilley
Minireview: the androgen receptor in breast tissues: growth inhibitor, tumor suppressor oncogene?
Molecular Endocrinology, Volume 26, 2012, pp. 1252–1267
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (82)
[36]
N. Eigėlienė, T. Elo, M. Linhala, S. Hurme, R. Erkkola, P. Härkönen
Androgens inhibit the stimulatory action of 17β-estradiol on normal human breast tissue in explant cultures
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 97, 2012, pp. E1116–E1127
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (13)
[37]
M. Hofling, A.L. Hirschberg, L. Skoog, E. Tani, T. Hägerström, B. von Schoultz
Testosterone inhibits estrogen/progestogen-induced breast cell proliferation in postmenopausal women
Menopause, Volume 14, 2007, pp. 183–190
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (66)
[38]
C. Dimitrakakis, J. Zhou, J. Wang, et al.
A physiologic role for testosterone in limiting estrogenic stimulation of the breast
Menopause, Volume 10, 2003, pp. 292–298
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (117)
[39]
C. Dimitrakakis, R.A. Jones, A. Liu, C.A. Bondy
Breast cancer incidence in postmenopausal women using testosterone in addition to usual hormone therapy
Menopause, Volume 11, 2004, pp. 531–535
View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (89)
[40]
R. Glaser
Subcutaneous testosterone-anastrozole implant therapy in breast cancer survivors
American society of clinical oncology breast cancer symposium, 2010 D:221
[41]
A221102, Randomized Double-Blind Placebo Controlled Study of Subcutaneous Testosterone in the Adjuvant Treatment of Postmenopausal Women with Aromatase Inhibitor Induced Arthralgias.
[42]
R.D. GambrellJr, P.K. Natrajan
Moderate dosage estrogen-androgen therapy improves continuation rates in postmenopausal women: impact of the WHI reports
Climacteric, Volume 9, 2006, pp. 224–233
[43]
A.M. Traish, L.J. Gooren
Safety of physiological testosterone therapy in women: lessons from female to male transsexuals (FMT) treated with pharmacological testosterone therapy
The Journal of Sexual Medicine, Volume 7, 2010, pp. 3758–3764
Article | PDF (94 K) | View Record in Scopus | Full Text via CrossRefCiting articles (18)
[44]
T.P. Van Staa, J.M. Sprafka
Study of adverse outcomes in women using testosterone therapy
Maturitas, Volume 62, 2009, pp. 76–80
Article | PDF (243 K) | View Record in ScopusCiting articles (25)

Corresponding author at: 228 E. Spring Valley Road, Dayton, OH 45458, USA. Tel.: +1 937 436 9821; fax: +1 937 436 9827.

Last edited:
LMAO....Stewie you expect me read all that...???

:eek:

LMAO....Stewie you expect me read all that...???

:eek:

Well. Not necessarily, although when this individual wants too PM me trying to undermined me on a subject he nor his "wife" are not well versed in.

I'll provide facts to him and his Dr. "wife"

Seems funny his Dr. "Wife" is so well versed in hormones, this individual reached out to Dr Kim Crawford for a free consultation.

Yeah, I'm on a rant.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity