YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

OT: Putting a pet down, getting over it?

Anubis

Registered
Sorry to be debby downer here but my best friend of the last 11 years, my Rotti mix has been diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. We thought initially it'd be operable and Id pay anything to get more time with her but the doc says the cancer it ended up being, her quality of life would be terrible and I can't do that to her, it'd be evil and selfish. I know what I need to do and logically I know it's the best friend I can be to her and the only way to repay her for the best friend she's been to me. Fuck me tho, I'm wrecked, how'd you guys who did this do this, how do you come to terms with having to do it. How'd you get over it. She's been my shadow, sleeps on my feet when we're chilling or at work, crawls on the bed every night, pushing my girl out of the way lol, first one out the door whenever I open the door, hard times ugly times there... shes still with me, I meet the doctor tmw to see how long she's got and talk when it'd be best but seriously feels like part of me is dyin here.

Attachments

• BeFunky_dar cord.jpg.jpg
    BeFunky_dar cord.jpg.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 189
No advice here but sorry for your circumstance bro. Dogs are really a man's best friend and their unconditional love is so real. All I can think of telling you is tha your dog loves you for all that you've done for her and you should just cherish the great life you've given here this remaining time you have with her. miracles happen and I hope they do in your case

take solace in knowing that you're doing what's best for her.

you wouldn't want her to live in pain.. that's a life that's not worth living

I cannot relate to how you feel, because ive never really had a meaningful attachment to an animal, but I imagine it would be like losing a close loved one..

in which case, at the end of the day, all it will take is time. be sure to mourn the loss, but know that the sun will continue to rise and set just as it did before.

in time, the pain and sadness will fade away, and will be replaced by smiles - as all that will be left is the fond memories that you have of her for the time you two spent together.

cheers brobro

Im sorry to hear that bro. I just went through that last year with both my dogs. They were brothers and I had them for almost 15 years. It was so hard. I don't ever really cry but this did it to me. Like little slice said just know what you are doing is best for your dog. It's still going to hurt like hell and nothing anyone has to say will help. Only time will make you feel better. It does get easier. I still miss them a lot but I'd never want them to suffer. Hold your head bro and know you are doing the right thing.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I worked at animal hospital while going through college…euthanizing a pet was never an easy task, but I believe it's the right and decent thing to do, once the creature is unable to have any form of quality of life. Unfortunately, my Saint Bernard (Sebastian) was diagnosed with cancer at 8 years of age…unfortunately he was too old for the treatment, which he would not have likely survived. He was okay for the first 6 months, but I had to make the hard decision to do the right thing shortly after.

You're dog is a beautiful looking pup…just remember the wonderful life and care you provided him and the amazing companionship he gifted you in return. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

Brother I feel for you man. I really do. I cannot even imagine the pain. I have my girl and it frightens me to think of a day without her. She is the best thing that has happened to me in my life in a very long time. The joy they bring you and the love is immeasurable. I do not have children so for me she is my child. As has been said already time will help. But nothing can ever take away the memories. So take solace in that. And remember all the love you gave her in return. It meant the world to her and made you a better person for it. The absolute worst will be having to give the vet the order to administer the injection. I am nearly certain if it ever comes to that with my girl I simply will not be able to do it. If you think it might be that way with you then consider taking someone with you who can do that part. I've seen it done and it SUCKS. I will say a prayer for you man. Try and be strong.

sorry to hear the cancer news, miracles can and do happen so dont think for one second they dont. My best advice is dont jump the gun too soon, when its obvious nothing can be done , sure, if she improves then Rejoice that God has healed her.

Ive had dogs since a kid and been though four close dog deaths,my last 2012. Been though a few cat deaths to the past three years-parents have cats. I say lots of petting and spending time with your dog , talking to it bc i do beleive animals can understand you and letting them know how you feel about them

Hey Brother,
Sorry to hear about this. Its tuff. My pit is my family. Theres no easy way to move on especially from a loved one. Time will heal this. On a side note. I copied my dogs paw print and had it tattooed on me. Shell be with me for as long as im on this earth.

Only prayer.

I hard a similar situation and Jesus healed her. It was a miracle.

Sorry about this man. I just had to put down my dog Missy weiner dog chihuahua mix. I've had her since I was like 9 we had almost 18 us together. She was getting so bad she was just in able to control her self and would go to the bathroom anywhere I did everything I could to help and save her. But in the end the vet said that she would just be suffering and I had to out her down. It is amazingly hard to say good bye to such a special member of the family. I got even more attached to her a few years ago when my little brother past. But just remember all the good your pet did and all the time you did share. You will always carry the memories with you and love them. And with the lose of one life it brings a new beginning.

take solace in knowing that you're doing what's best for her.

you wouldn't want her to live in pain.. that's a life that's not worth living

I cannot relate to how you feel, because ive never really had a meaningful attachment to an animal, but I imagine it would be like losing a close loved one..

in which case, at the end of the day, all it will take is time. be sure to mourn the loss, but know that the sun will continue to rise and set just as it did before.

in time, the pain and sadness will fade away, and will be replaced by smiles - as all that will be left is the fond memories that you have of her for the time you two spent together.

cheers brobro

Wow this was the most sincere thing Ive seen u write Slice. Very well said brother.

I can completely understand.... it will be a year this July 31 that my Boston terrier passed. She was napping in my wife and I's bed when I went to go back there to take her and my other dog out for a walk.
She was only 11yo but had alot of problems. She passed in her sleep. I guess it's been especially hard since I have been outta work the past few years so we spent alot of time together.

thank you all for your words and advice. I met with the vet and he says that shes very healthy otherwise and seems to be in no pain so that I don't need to rush this moment. I can take a little time to say goodbye. He said she will be very good about showing me its time by pulling away, and not eating but at the moment she's wanting to be here so to let her be.

Sorry brother. Had to put my Scotty down a while back, was the hardest thing to do. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your dog, I have three dogs and it would be the hardest thing to do but like you said can't be selfish and enjoy the time you have left and make more good memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only say that I feel your pain my friend it has been exactly one week since my girl of 16 years pased. The best Dog I could ever have. She waited for me to come home, and did her usual climb on the bed and never woke up

Si Vis Pacem

I've had my boy Titus die in my hands at home, trachea ruptured and he bled out... pink foam coming out his nose and me screaming... since I've put down 3 more, just good dogs who were too sick too go on. One of my girl dogs, they had problems with the vein they were injecting kept blowing out. My wife just held her hand over her tiny nose and away she went.... sucked hard.
I usually sit down with them and tell them what a great life we had together and how much I'll miss 'em.... silly, but it feels right, who doesn't talk to their dogs? Also, I usually give them a pint of ice cream for their last meal. Don't seem to matter much that its not good for them.
I miss them each and every day, they were good beasts that never did nobody wrong.... Sissy, Titus, Bella, Mattie, and fat Vinny, and 3 more at my side right now. My best friends.

I can only say that I feel your pain my friend it has been exactly one week since my girl of 16 years pased. The best Dog I could ever have. She waited for me to come home, and did her usual climb on the bed and never woke up

Si Vis Pacem

I'm so sorry to hear it brother. She must've been one very happy girl to have lived such a long great life, she was in no hurry to leave you till she had no choice, that's a testament to the bond you had and life you gave her.

I've had my boy Titus die in my hands at home, trachea ruptured and he bled out... pink foam coming out his nose and me screaming... since I've put down 3 more, just good dogs who were too sick too go on. One of my girl dogs, they had problems with the vein they were injecting kept blowing out. My wife just held her hand over her tiny nose and away she went.... sucked hard.
I usually sit down with them and tell them what a great life we had together and how much I'll miss 'em.... silly, but it feels right, who doesn't talk to their dogs? Also, I usually give them a pint of ice cream for their last meal. Don't seem to matter much that its not good for them.
I miss them each and every day, they were good beasts that never did nobody wrong.... Sissy, Titus, Bella, Mattie, and fat Vinny, and 3 more at my side right now. My best friends.

I talk to mine all the time, they are the best listeners. They may not understand but they sense emotion and respond better than the overwhelming majority of humans. I can't tell ya how many times I've been stressed/pissed/sad whatever that I went and sat with her and got up feelin better about the situation... Your stories got me, you've been thru some hell and still sharin love, respect, thank you for sharing them.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws