over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any of you guys eat salmon everyday?

thethinker48

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I've been eating 2+ lbs a day for a while now; it's a easily digestable nutrient dense protein source; my worry is mercury poisoning even though it's one of the smaller less mercury dense fish.

I really need to add more chicken and beef to diversify the protein choices. And maybe pull a mercury panel :eek:

I guess being a creature of habit isn't a good things sometimes :)

I highly suggest you get tested for heavy metals, you can't eat fish more than a couple times per week without getting toxic levels of mercury and other heavy metals, pollution sucks...

https://youtu.be/Fx5Z6CuSKt4

Last edited:
I highly suggest you get tested for heavy metals, you can't eat fish more than a couple times per week without getting toxic levels of mercury and other heavy metals, pollution sucks...

https://youtu.be/Fx5Z6CuSKt4

I've seen that interview; kept it in the back of my head. But Jason was eating all kinds of seafood which was known to have higher amounts of mercury.

Salmon doesn't have those amounts and is one of the safer ones.

"As a physician, I recommend that people eat fish,” says Dr. Oken. Choose different types, and stay away from high-mercury species. If you eat canned tuna, look for chunk light, which is lower in mercury than other varieties. Don’t be overly concerned about salmon; the increased mercury level attributed to salmon consumption was quite small, and it’s possible that salmon eaters also ate more of the other high-mercury fish that contributed to the elevated level, says Dr. Oken. The table below, adapted from a study she led to promote healthy fish consumption in pregnant women, can help you make choices. It features low-mercury varieties and includes how much to eat to get suggested levels of omega-3 fatty acids."

(https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/make-smart-seafood-choices-minimize-mercury-intake-201404307130)

Not that any of this is taking into consideration how much bodybuilders eat. I know Evan Centopani eats a LOT of fish in both off season and pre-contest, but he sticks to lower mercury ones as well. Dave Palumbo did this during his bodybuilding days as well.

The caveat is that mercury levels can be elevated up to a certain point, and you wouldn't have many symptoms. Once you get to a certain point, it's basically a point of no return, and you will need to eliminate seafood and hop on chelation therapy if your physician feels you need it.

Still though, scary stuff. I'm going out to buy more chicken and eye round beef today :)

I totally agree with salmon being the safest, but I would still get tested for heavy metals a couple times a year if I ate that much. I have a 'holistic' type doctor (still an MD) who says he loves fish but doesn't recommend more than a couple times per week, he does recommend salmon.

I usually eat some Salmon twice a week.

I can't eat the same thing day in and day out, so I mix my Protein Sources quite a bit................................... JP

For several months (this was many years ago), I was eating 2 cans of tuna every mon - fri (bad idea!). But I now eat salmon ~4-5 days per week. I eat fillets on occasion, but my goto is patties:

one can de-skinned and de-boned
one egg
lots of onions
~20g of bread crumbs
Cajun seasoning & coarse pepper to taste

We make a white sauce from the liquid in the can: liquid + a little water + 1 tbs of Ky Colonel flour + parsley and bring to a boil after whisking together.

Jason Huh talked about heavy metal poisoning destroying him for a while. He blamed the high fish dieting.

For me salmon can beat up my stomach if I eat it constantly. 1-2x/week and I'm fine.

Im thinking that if you want to eat that much fish it might be better to stick to species that are farm raised. I think stuff like Tilapia and Catfish are. I cant think of any others.

Article on farm vs wild Salmon. So there are farmed salmon. Apparently both are low in mercury, but farm is better. If you read on though you see that farmed have higher levels of PCBs.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20080605/mercury-low-in-wild-and-farmed-salmon#1

Last edited:
Just rotate your salmon meals with beef every other week. Highly unlikely you have mercury poisoning.

Im thinking that if you want to eat that much fish it might be better to stick to species that are farm raised. I think stuff like Tilapia and Catfish are. I cant think of any others.

Article on farm vs wild Salmon. So there are farmed salmon. Apparently both are low in mercury, but farm is better. If you read on though you see that farmed have higher levels of PCBs.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20080605/mercury-low-in-wild-and-farmed-salmon#1

I have read that farmed salmon has half the amount of omega-3s, I have also read that they have the same level of mercury, I don't know why farmed would have less mercury, they are farmed in the ocean. WebMD is notorious for false information...

edit: further research shows that study was done by the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheries_and_Oceans_Canada and definitely has a conflict of interest.

Last edited:
EVERY DAY WITHOUT FAIL
Goldfish crackers aren't salmon slicey...

Just because they are shaped like a fish don't make them fish...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

what about herring though? that harvard website says one portion a week and 2 or more for the mackerel(not the king mackerel). I was always under the impression it was the other way around. same for anchovies

I can't see eating tilapia any more. I don't remeber exactly what grossed me out about them but I think they have a diet of fish crap and hold a lot of toxins.

Kind reminds me when I got on a grouper kick and was eating it all the time until I seen a picture of a grouper. Those things look gross.

My understanding was that Huh was eating an extraordinary amount of sea bass, not salmon. I'm not an expert but I didn't think they had equivalent Mercury levels at all?

My understanding was that Huh was eating an extraordinary amount of sea bass, not salmon. I'm not an expert but I didn't think they had equivalent Mercury levels at all?

here you go

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 110

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members