over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What happened to our gyms?

graybass

Registered
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but as you age you don't give a shit.
When I grew up in the gym (been lifting 40 years) It was a small community and very intimidating to just walk into a hard core gym. I'm a musician too so back in the day when I first started going I was super skinny with long hair. All the vets looked at me like here's another loser who's going to last 2 weeks. Well I stayed and stayed.
My complaint is back then you learned proper lifting/form/dieting etc. by listening to and talking to the vets if they would accept you. I'd see someone with killer chest and arms and I'd hang around when they were benching or whatever, and eventually ask questions. As they got to know me it was a very social environment. These guys became my lifting buddies. We all learned together and made progress together.
Now even the greenest guys and gals walk around with headsets on every second. I feel like saying "Yo boy, take that shit outta your ears and maybe you'd learn something" I'm talking 98lb weaklings. How you going to learn anything listening to bullshit and watching youtube on your phone in the gym. Plus what if I'm about to lose a plate on my curling bar and it falls on your foot cause you could not hear me say "look out!" I love music, I'm a musician on weekends. Head sets have a place in the gym (cardio) but not on the weight floor. I see this couple come in all the time and they both wear phones and train together but never speak to each other. Really?
WTF? Guess I'm just a dinosaur but I miss being social at the gym. Plus these youngsters if they want to learn hire some 20 year old trainer to teach them how to stand on a Bozu ball while doing one arm overhead presses. Fucking yikes, get in the Goddamn shoulder rack and learn militaries. OK I vented enough. I know all you badasses are going to say "I wear earbuds so no one will talk to me" Well good for you LOL

What are people supposed to do? Not go to the gym so they don't upset the angry old "hardcore" guys?

Public gyms are the reason I have had a home gym since the summer of 2010.
I can’t imagine going back now!
The only downside is that my 24x30 garage isn’t temperature controlled, only a problem when it’s 105 or -5 outside!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you Gray guy. We're the same age. My first gym was a shitty YMCA. The weight room was in the subbasement. A lot of the weights were homemade. There was a leather heavy bag in the center of the gym and some ape was going on it all the time. No air conditioning. Musty smell. Our cardio was a basketball court on the other side. It was close to an Italian neighborhood so a lot of the guys were from there. I am Italian but from a different part of town. No steroids. When I started it was 1975. No women. No earbuds. There was an older guy that was on the 1956 Oly lifting team. If he liked you he would teach you about just about every lift. Everybody got big. In the summer you walked in there and there was a fog from everyone sweating. I loved the atmosphere. There was also wrestling mats so you could wrestlt if you are a wrestler.

The scene walking in was firt you heart the pop pop pop of the heavy bag being hit. Then the heat hit you and the fog you'd see. It would be packed with about 3/4 Italian kids and 1/4 other kids. Everyone got along. About 1/3 of the guys would shave their heads before summer as a sacrifice that they were ging to train balls to the wall all summer. Training sessions were like 3 hours. Everyone did bench, squat, deadlift, clean and press from the floor. Like I said, everyone got big.

Steroids came later... way later and only for some. Other gyms sprung up. Bodybuilding got popular. One gym that I didn't belong to was a key club gym. It was mostly older guys than me. Joenthe owner kept a jar of dianabol by the door. You can bet everyone there was jacked. Everyone already had a strong base of 4,5 6 or so year or so drug free. The Joe opened the Steel Pier Athletic club and the juice started roling in. After a few years guys were competing at nationals. One guy won the Junior Nationals. It was hardcore. Women started showing up and getting jacked, I'm sure some were juiced. You walke in and you heard clanging of weights on the squat raak and big weights being dropped from deadlifts. Lots of jacked dudes and a few jacked chicks. A lot of hot chicks that were being phucked by somebody in the gym at all times.

today it's hard to find those gyms. It's a fashion show with ear buds and skinny trainers that never did a squat with 4 plates on a side. vEry soft.

What are people supposed to do? Not go to the gym so they don't upset the angry old "hardcore" guys?

No, but they should at least learn some gym etiquette. :)

Gyms are much more of a business now. I miss the old school gyms where everyone knew each other and helped one another. Nowadays people get pissed off if they can’t get a WiFi connection or the TVs aren’t working. I guess just like everything else, times change.

Damn..."GET OFF OF MY LAWN", lol. BTW, gyms aren't social centers, you're supposed to go, focus, and lift your ass off. I'm 55, but I'm not going to worry about pissing off some old dude that misses 1965, because I want to listen to my hair-band tunes and lift.

Much of what the OP is describing could be applied to any traditional physical meeting-place as it is gradually superceded by connections made in cyberspace. That skinny backwards kid lifting weights wrong may not be asking you a question in the gym, but he will go back to his Mancave, log on as LittleSlice and ask you questions here on this very board.

Last edited:
Many people just want it quick fast and easy. Putting in years is not in the cards for most people. Big and strong is out of style. I see very few people actually pushing themselves. And those that ar , are usually women working on their butts and I am all for that!

dudes doing sets on machines who sit there between sets not letting anyone work in.
kids who dont say thanx when u hold the door open for them.
people who ask if ur using this, you say yeah, u can work in if u want, they give u a dirty look and harumphh off for whatever reason, cunt,
nowadays i see people doing things wrong and i dont say shit to them. even a trainer there says he's tried helping people and they act like he's a jefkoff who needs to mind his bidness,

my biggest pet peeve and i see this fucking EVERYWHERE by the majority (the baloonheads and the apes alike), is everyone NEVER putting their fucking weights away. Never ever! it infuriated me when i was in gyms. even almost came to blows with a guy once after he threatened me because i asked him to re-rack his weights. I blame the gyms for not enforcing the rule just as much, though.

When i was growing up and in high school and even at the beginning of college no one pulled this shit. even the assholes with plastic lat syndrome put their shit back when they finished with their sets. Maybe it was the gyms i was in (one was hardcore, the other was a Gold's).

Most of the people i see now are selfish pricks who can't stand to put their phones down for more than a minute. I could tolerate the selfies and the idiots who get in the way because they're pre-occupied with their phones more than the fuckos who leave the plates on or all over the place.

why so serious.
i cant believe anyone cares about this....
kid listening to headphones minding his own business pisses guys off? LMAO you guys really dont know what real problems are lmao...
-F2S

Last edited:
Damn..."GET OFF OF MY LAWN", lol. BTW, gyms aren't social centers, you're supposed to go, focus, and lift your ass off. I'm 55, but I'm not going to worry about pissing off some old dude that misses 1965, because I want to listen to my hair-band tunes and lift.

Hey sorry man. Were you the hair band bass player in the back of the gym doing cable curls and walking lunges? We did like you but we were to busy doing deads and eating D-bols to say hi.

its all about the home gym.. i have a 3 car garage and the 3rd bay has everything i need... i work from home, and time is crucial... so whenever i get a break from conference calls and other household duties, i just crank out an hour workout.
for my heavy bench days, i work out with my neighbor.. but outside of that i can workout by myself... highest i go on squat these says is 365, but usually do high reps at 275.. stan efferding style. i'm much taller than the avg person and im over my mid40s, so these days its all about maintaining..

One reason might be that the lifters today THINK they know what they're doing due to all of the internet gurus--I wrote "think" because of course they might be listening to the wrong guru ;) Before the internet, you had to rely on magazines, or BETTER YET, ask the big dudes in the gym!

Being out of the gym for 10 years

Now that I am back in the gym for the first time in 10 years I have to say that people at the gym have gotten worse as far as these behaviors. I have been going at a time of the day though where most of the people there are as old or older than me and they are ok. It is the young people that behave like this. One girl today was on her cell phone while she was doing the leg abductor machine. The weight must have been very light because she was going slow and not straining at all, looking at her phone the whole time and texting.

Gyms are much more of a business now. I miss the old school gyms where everyone knew each other and helped one another. Nowadays people get pissed off if they can’t get a WiFi connection or the TVs aren’t working. I guess just like everything else, times change.

Bro, cmon WiFi a must..

Serious

1st world problems... “people piss me off, I should live on an island and build a gym”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There certainly was a social aspect to it all. We would bullshit some between sets sometimes but always got a good workout. I made a lot of friends at the gym and on quite a few occasions we would meet up on the weekend and hangout at a bar or something.

Now it seems like everyone is so self absorbed that they don't talk to anyone, just listen to their music and text. Times have changed. The gym I go to I have already met some cool dudes that are about my age, they grew up back when we did and things were different.

No, but they should at least learn some gym etiquette. :)

This is what I can’t fucking stand now a days and I’m young. People touching my personal shit, they can’t wait for something your using because they are more important, people who act oblivious to take your equipment, people who ask how many sets you have but never want to work in just give dirty looks, people who abuse the machine to not even get a real rep, The characters that are just there to creep, get away from something and not workout, the pacers/floaters, AND PPL WHO MAKE YOU TAKE OUT YOUR HEADPHONES. I go to a commercial chain gym and the atmosphere sucks(beside the old timer lifters where respect is everything) so I put my shit as loud as it gets do my own thing.

I was just talking about this today from another older bodybuilder. My original gym, when I had a show the entire gym would show up to cheer me on, it was like family. You use to have to know someone to get gear back then so the big guys were everyone's friend. Now gear is very readily available and with the internet, information is a finger tip away.
I hate the young guns at the gym today, I sit there and I can't believe it when I see them taking videos and pictures of themselves posing in the mirror in between their sets so they can post them on instagram all while supersetting with 4 different machines of all cable exercises....really? When I was a teen, if I did that, they would have punched me in the face and threw me out the door. Can't do that now with all the cameras filming everything.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear