over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Shredded Glutes...

megarips250

Registered
What's up yall. So I'm 12 weeks out from a state championship. I have been doing my own diet since the beginning of my off season. I weigh myself every morning, measure my food, and have all the peds i need. My question to you good people is this... do I need to hire a prep coach to get me in shredded glute conditioning? I know a good coach who gets all of his clients peeled but it's pretty expensive. Last year I did my own prep and won my class in the overall but this is a bigger show. My goal is to win the state championship and then go to Junior Nationals.

Shredded glutes are a function of having the glute muscle developed enough and having body fat low enough to see that development.

If you've prepped yourself before but never had shredded glutes, you probably just need to reduce calories more / increase cardio / diet for even longer. Whether you hire someone or do it yourself, it just comes down to working harder than you have before.

Hiring a good coach is worth the money.

But if your cheap like me, aim to be ready 4 weeks out, you won’t be. But then you still have a month to figure it out.

And glute development is huge. I know a few guys with feathered asses in there off-season. And I know a ton of national level guys who can’t even get feathered glutes on stage day due to the lack of training it.

Diet diet diet. Train abs and train glutes, train forearms train obliques. Don’t be lazy

As stated above, it really does come down to a combination of having both the muscle mass and the leanness necessary to have striations.

That said though, when attempting to compete at a higher level, having another set of eyes can be very useful even if it's just to keep you from going crazy and doing too much (or give you the kick in the ass if necessary to keep pushing). I see a lot of guys that focus too much on the scale and come in with a layer of fat because they just get too hung up on that number.

What's up yall. So I'm 12 weeks out from a state championship. I have been doing my own diet since the beginning of my off season. I weigh myself every morning, measure my food, and have all the peds i need. My question to you good people is this... do I need to hire a prep coach to get me in shredded glute conditioning? I know a good coach who gets all of his clients peeled but it's pretty expensive. Last year I did my own prep and won my class in the overall but this is a bigger show. My goal is to win the state championship and then go to Junior Nationals.
Post current pics at 12 weeks out and lets go from there. Most people underestimate just how much bodyfat they have and dont allow themselves enough time to diet it off

I've prepped myself and gotten shredded glutes. You just need to stay on top of it--you say you've done a show before, how were your glutes then? How is your overall bodyfat NOW compared to the same timeline THEN?

That's how I do mine--I keep all my pics weekly in separate folders, then when I take my current week's photos I compare against previous versions of myself to see if I'm on an acceptable timeline. If not, I get more aggressive. If I'm ahead, I can either dial it back if I'm way too far ahead or just let it stay its course.

Just out of curiosity, do you keep journals or logs of your meals too? Doing that helped me a lot in finally getting striated glutes on stage, along with what you said as well about comparing pics.

The body can change a lot from prep to prep, so a journal of meals and whatnot may not always work favorably, but for me it gave me a solid jumping off point at least.

I've prepped myself and gotten shredded glutes. You just need to stay on top of it--you say you've done a show before, how were your glutes then? How is your overall bodyfat NOW compared to the same timeline THEN?

That's how I do mine--I keep all my pics weekly in separate folders, then when I take my current week's photos I compare against previous versions of myself to see if I'm on an acceptable timeline. If not, I get more aggressive. If I'm ahead, I can either dial it back if I'm way too far ahead or just let it stay its course.

Just out of curiosity, do you keep journals or logs of your meals too? Doing that helped me a lot in finally getting striated glutes on stage, along with what you said as well about comparing pics.

The body can change a lot from prep to prep, so a journal of meals and whatnot may not always work favorably, but for me it gave me a solid jumping off point at least.

So I never really keep a log of meals per se, but this is what I do (bear with me while I go through a little backstory).

Last time I prepped I wasn't originally going to do any contests so I started dieting kind of wacky for BBers. I told myself I was going to experiment and see what foods I could get away with and whether you had to eat traditional BB diets to get shredded or not. Keep in mind this wasn't IIFYM, but many assumed it was at the time--I was eating wheat of any kind (pasta, tortillas, bread, bagels on higher carb days, low-sugar cereal, and so on), dairy (2% or fat-free as I got deeper in the diet--stuff like cheese, light yogurt, and light / FF sour cream...burritos taste better with these two things), lots of protein shakes, etc. Found out that for ME it didn't make any difference (ended up doing two shows that year and winning my class of 14 at the first and taking 2nd in the other one (similar amount of competitors). So with that being said...this is what I did / continue to do and I'll continue to eat like this until I find I have issues with it.

Anyways, I start my diet by writing out my macros and giving myself a sample "diet" for each day with macros listed beside each food item. However...it's just a general guideline--if I don't feel like eating whatever I wrote on there, I simply switch it out for something similar i.e. 25g of carbs from rice can easily become a burger bun.

Then I just log my weekly calories / macros (and the different days and how they're structured when carb cycling) and adjust that weekly. The original list is just glanced at and altered to make it work for each week--if this gets too difficult because something has dropped too much, I just write out a new "sample" list and continue on.

I log the calories, macros, supplements, weight changes, cardio amounts, and FEELINGS for the week into a text file that I put into each week's folder with the pics taken, as well as adjustments I might have made that week and ones I intend to make for the next week and what reasons I'm making them. For example "lost 2.5lbs this week, felt like crap, added extra 100g carbs to high day, keeping calories same next week"

Hope this makes sense. Worked for me but may not for others. Keep in mind there was no "junk" eaten at any point even though I was just fitting the macros and calories.

Kind of rambled here, hope it's clear!

Last edited:
I really appreciate you taking the time to go through this all and makes perfect sense, and it very very close to what I did myself! Basically started off when a target macro, ate clean foods to hit those macros (minus dairy because I'm lactose intolerant, lol) and noted weight change, appearance and how I felt and would change the next week accordingly.

I think doing something like this is just a very underrated and underused tool. People will make arbitrary (or worse, unknown) changes and have no idea why their body responded the way it did.

So I never really keep a log of meals per se, but this is what I do (bear with me while I go through a little backstory).

Last time I prepped I wasn't originally going to do any contests so I started dieting kind of wacky for BBers. I told myself I was going to experiment and see what foods I could get away with and whether you had to eat traditional BB diets to get shredded or not. Keep in mind this wasn't IIFYM, but many assumed it was at the time--I was eating wheat of any kind (pasta, tortillas, bread, bagels on higher carb days, low-sugar cereal, and so on), dairy (2% or fat-free as I got deeper in the diet--stuff like cheese, light yogurt, and light / FF sour cream...burritos taste better with these two things), lots of protein shakes, etc. Found out that for ME it didn't make any difference (ended up doing two shows that year and winning my class of 14 at the first and taking 2nd in the other one (similar amount of competitors). So with that being said...this is what I did / continue to do and I'll continue to eat like this until I find I have issues with it.

Anyways, I start my diet by writing out my macros and giving myself a sample "diet" for each day with macros listed beside each food item. However...it's just a general guideline--if I don't feel like eating whatever I wrote on there, I simply switch it out for something similar i.e. 25g of carbs from rice can easily become a burger bun.

Then I just log my weekly calories / macros (and the different days and how they're structured when carb cycling) and adjust that weekly. The original list is just glanced at and altered to make it work for each week--if this gets too difficult because something has dropped too much, I just write out a new "sample" list and continue on.

I log the calories, macros, supplements, weight changes, cardio amounts, and FEELINGS for the week into a text file that I put into each week's folder with the pics taken, as well as adjustments I might have made that week and ones I intend to make for the next week and what reasons I'm making them. For example "lost 2.5lbs this week, felt like crap, added extra 100g carbs to high day, keeping calories same next week"

Hope this makes sense. Worked for me but may not for others. Keep in mind there was no "junk" eaten at any point even though I was just fitting the macros and calories.

Same here! At the end of the day....it's all about total calories for me with a good macro ratio.

I don't typically eat bad foods anyways....so it wasn't like I tested it while trying to get away with poor food choices. But just used "moderation" with everything.

Doing this....I could still eat foods I wanted occasionally as long as I had my average deficit by the end of the week.

BUT.....I do not compete and don't think I've ever been at a body fat level (Truly) acceptable to compete.

So getting below 8%-9% may be a totally different game....but I have never had the need to go any lower with what my goals are.

I applaud anyone who goes that low as I can imagine it is a whole different level of discipline then myself just getting ready for our beach trip!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Post current pics at 12 weeks out and lets go from there. Most people underestimate just how much bodyfat they have and dont allow themselves enough time to diet it off

Thnx for the response. Question, as an IFBB Pro do you think that you could have got your pro card (win nationals) without a prep coach?

Thnx for the response. For my last (only) show I didn't have very much glute muscle to begin with so when I slimmed down my ass disappeared and there was a decent amount of fat in the area because I had no lines. My overall body fat now is lower then where I was last year at 12 weeks out and my weight is up. My overall aesthetics have improved a lot from last year and I have put on a lot of muscle, especial in my legs and glutes.

I measure and weigh my food. Started out at 1000g of carbs primarily from white rice. 400g of protein from chicken and egg white, and 60g fat from ground beef or whole eggs. I slowly tapered my carbs down to where I am currently at which is 648g of carbs primarily from white rice, 400g of protein from chicken and egg whites, and 40g of fat from whole eggs. I train 6 days on 1 day off and I do 3 days of steady state cardio post workout. All my carb and protein meals are eaten throughout the day and my fats are all consumed at night.

I didn't use any clen last year. This year with my diet being on point I feel like using clen would get my dick skin. Idk when to start it though. I also am considering using Helios with Injec L-Carnitine.

Its a baaaaadddd feeling to get 4 weeks out and have "reality" slap you in the face about your bodyfat... Then the stress comes and the cortisol dump - and you damn near have no chance.

Its worse if you listen to the knuckleheads in the gym constantly telling you how "ripped" you are..

PM wasn't here when I last competed - but the best thing you can do is post pics here and listen to some of the guys here who have decades of experience.

You have a great physique man - don't take anything personal here. Take advice and then just grind it out and you will do awesome.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws