over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Pnuemonia and Pleural Effusion

Getnbiggger

Featured Member
Featured Member
Registered
My wife and I had a nice 5 day trip planned to Cabo to celebrate my birthday. We left our home and when I arrived in Cabo I was experiencing shortness of breath and the feeling of a knife jabbing me in my left side every time I breathed. The pain became unbearable and my breathing was very labored. I was rushed to the ER in cabo where after a number of tests and a CT scan I was diagnosed with left lung pnuemonia and pleural effusion. I was freaking out since I had never experienced anything like this and I was in a foreign country. I was required to stay in the hospital for four days on IV antibiotics, IV pain meds and IV anti inflamatories. I was discharged to fly home after day 5 and I am now at home taking oral antibiotics, pain meds and nsaids for the next 10 to 14 days. I will be seeing a pulmonologist this morning.

I will say however that despite my preconveived notions of what it would be like in a foreign ER hospital, I was pleasantly suprised to find that where I was , was just a nice, clean and professional as any US hospital, so that was that was comforting.

Ill update as the days go by but I can say that this pnuemonia kicks your ass and your energy is definitely in the shitter!!!

Welp hares the update:
Saw the pulmonologist tgis morning and Im back in the hospital. Seems i was not properly diagnosed in Cabo and I do not have pnuemonia.
I have been diagnosed with a Pulmonary Embolism. Apparently the clot is large and is in my left lung. I am now in blood thinners and will be have a scan of my body to determine if there are any other clots. Best case scenario there are no more clots and i am on blood thinner s for the next 3 months.

Cant help but think this clot issue is related to my AAS use .....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Very smart of you to get to a hospital asap! Keep us posted how did your blood work look were your levels elevated? Hematocrit, hemoglobin, RBC ECT...
I'm curious as to what would cause this?

Very smart of you to get to a hospital asap! Keep us posted how did your blood work look were your levels elevated? Hematocrit, hemoglobin, RBC ECT...
I'm curious as to what would cause this?
All blood markers were in normal range.

I came down with pneumonia while backpacking three years ago and did not receive medical treatment for two weeks. On multiple occasions I thought I would die from the intense coughing. Chills and night sweats were unbearable. IIRC my lungs are permanently scarred and I still feel it now and then. Good luck lol

Just throwing this out as a plausible situation. I would suspect rather than (ab)use of anabolics, it may be more so related to your flight triggering the DVT--PE.

Any calf cramps the day before or day of your flight?

However the situation may have been that sent you into a hypercoagulable state, you are very fortunate. I'm surprised they didn't pick it up on a CT or a D-dimer that you had full-blown PE.

Keep us updated!

^^ Had both of those tests done on me when they thought i had a DVT/embolism.

Keep us updated. Hope you get healthy!

Stewie, with a PE being in the lungs. Are blood thinners the best and only option w/o a stint? What are the odds of it dislodging and continuing to the heart?

Last edited:
Welp hares the update:
Saw the pulmonologist tgis morning and Im back in the hospital. Seems i was not properly diagnosed in Cabo and I do not have pnuemonia.
I have been diagnosed with a Pulmonary Embolism. Apparently the clot is large and is in my left lung. I am now in blood thinners and will be have a scan of my body to determine if there are any other clots. Best case scenario there are no more clots and i am on blood thinner s for the next 3 months.

Cant help but think this clot issue is related to my AAS use .....

What happened to me, only in a coronary artery. Make sure you get your DNA tested for clotting disorders. Things like factor 2 and 5. I have factor 2, prothrombin mutation. I am on coumadin for life now. Oh, Emeric on here had this happen to him and he found he has factor 5. You might chat with him, he is a great guy and very smart.

Last edited:

Stewie, with a PE being in the lungs. Are blood thinners the best and only option w/o a stint? What are the odds of it dislodging and continuing to the heart?

I don't think it is really possible to get to the heart unless it formed somehow on the venous side. If it did end up in the heart then it would enter the left atrium then ventricle. It would then get pumped out to either the body or the head and cause a stroke. It most likely formed in the lower limb and traveled up into the lungs from there.

Just throwing this out as a plausible situation. I would suspect rather than (ab)use of anabolics, it may be more so related to your flight triggering the DVT--PE.

Any calf cramps the day before or day of your flight?
Thanks Stewie. No cramps however, they just dud a ultra sound of both my legs to determine any DVT or clots. I should get results shortly.

Yea. I rarely seen surgery performed on PE to take it out or dissolve it. I think the risks out way the benefits. what I see the most is a Vena cava filter so the clots won’t travel to the lungs and heart and blood thinners ..

-stewie [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. I rarely seen surgery performed on PE to take it out or dissolve it. I think the risks out way the benefits. what I see the most is a Vena cava filter so the clots won’t travel to the lungs and heart and blood thinners ..

-stewie [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good news, ultra sound of my legs shows no evidence of further DVP. Already had 80mg shot of Lovinox when i was admitted to ER. . Having echo cardiogram performed shortly.

Good news, ultra sound of my legs shows no evidence of further DVP. Already had 80mg shot of Lovinox when i was admitted to ER. . Having echo cardiogram performed shortly.

Wondering if they will put you on a heparin drip. That is what they did to me to break up whatever clot was still in my coronary artery after they sucked it out.

It is scary to me that the hospital on your vacation mistook a pulmonary embolisim for pneumonia. Im thinking about going on vacation to Italy and now I am a bit scared of going, worried I might have trouble while I am there.

I guess when you are overseas like you were that your health insurance doesn't pay a dime? Just wondering. I never asked mine. I wonder if it is just considered out of network and they still pay?

Wondering if they will put you on a heparin drip. That is what they did to me to break up whatever clot was still in my coronary artery after they sucked it out.

It is scary to me that the hospital on your vacation mistook a pulmonary embolisim for pneumonia. Im thinking about going on vacation to Italy and now I am a bit scared of going, worried I might have trouble while I am there.

I guess when you are overseas like you were that your health insurance doesn't pay a dime? Just wondering. I never asked mine. I wonder if it is just considered out of network and they still pay?
Just got another shot of Lovenox 80mg.

Just got another shot of Lovenox 80mg.

I wonder why they are using lovenox and not heparin. Maybe the clot isn't too bad.

I wonder why they are using lovenox and not heparin. Maybe the clot isn't too bad.
Lovenox is a low molecuoar weight heparin. Works much faster and is a newer generation blood thinner.
I have been relaesed from ICU, still feeling low grade left side pain but O2 saturation is 98, bp is normal and pulse is 78..
Looks like they are starting novel blood thinners called Eloquis tonight and i will be discharged home tomorrow morning.

Lovenox is a low molecuoar weight heparin. Works much faster and is a newer generation blood thinner.
I have been relaesed from ICU, still feeling low grade left side pain but O2 saturation is 98, bp is normal and pulse is 78..
Looks like they are starting novel blood thinners called Eloquis tonight and i will be discharged home tomorrow morning.

Ok, so the clot must have broke up fast. With me they used the heparin because my clot was bad and I was in the hospital ICU for 5 days. I use lovenox at home now if I have to undergo surgery. I must stop my coumadin about 5 days prior to surgery and then go on lovenox. I was taking 1 shot every 12 hours for 5 days. It sucks, get bruises all over my abdomen.

For you the eloquis should be fine for a few months. Did they run any DNA tests on you to be sure you don't have a clotting disorder? I hope they do if they haven't. It isn't as rare as you think. We didn't know it was in my family until me. I had my parents tested when I found I have it.

Ok, so the clot must have broke up fast. With me they used the heparin because my clot was bad and I was in the hospital ICU for 5 days. I use lovenox at home now if I have to undergo surgery. I must stop my coumadin about 5 days prior to surgery and then go on lovenox. I was taking 1 shot every 12 hours for 5 days. It sucks, get bruises all over my abdomen.

For you the eloquis should be fine for a few months. Did they run any DNA tests on you to be sure you don't have a clotting disorder? I hope they do if they haven't. It isn't as rare as you think. We didn't know it was in my family until me. I had my parents tested when I found I have it.
They took 40 vials of blood when i was checked in prior to admin of any blood thinners so they could run all the genetic testing as welll as any other tests to help determine the cause.

Last edited:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear