over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Figuring Macros- HELP!

MarineWifey

Registered
i've been eating a healthy diet. but i'm really interested in what my macros should be. as far as how much protein, carbs, fats i should have each day. i'm 5'3 127lbs 20yrs. been doing great on diet and training just wondering how much of each thing i should be eating per day! advice greatly appreciated thanks in advance :)

though this is an old thread, i figured id offer some advice since no else has.

after figuring your basal metabolic rate (BMR) with the stats you posted on jan 23, you should be consuming between 2775 to 3100 kcals a day assuming you work out 3-5 days a week.

a general rule of thumb for dividing macros would be 20/40/40 = 20% kcals from fat, 40% from protein and 40% from carbs.

an example would be

2775 kcals/day
fat / pro /carbs
61.6/277.5/277.5 =grams
555/1110/1110 = kcals

3100 kcals/day
fat / pro /carbs
68.9/310/310 = grams
620/1240/1240 = kcals

though this is old, i hope it helps you out

you can use this in the future as your stats change to help with your dieting. this is the base for where your calories should start

First of all you need to calculate your theoric daily caloric need, more precisely the total calories your body uses to produce energy for your daily activities.
This comprehends working, training, eating, having sex and even sleeping.

We're gonna use the most common formula to calculate it, the Harris Benedict Formula for Calorie Calculations:
“The Harris Benedict equation is a calorie formula using the variables of height, weight, age, and gender to calculate basal metabolic rate (BMR).
This is more accurate than calculating calorie needs based on total body weight alone. The only factor it omits is lean body mass and thus the ratio of muscle-to-fat a body has.
Remember, leaner bodies need more calories than less leaner ones. Therefore, this equation will be very accurate in all but the very muscular (Harris-Benedict will under-estimate calorie needs) and the very fat (Harris-Benedict will over-estimate calorie needs).”

Let's have a peek on a few things before starting to explain the formula:

1. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is the total amount of calories the body needs while in a vegetative state.
So we need to multiplicate it to a certain factor based on the level of daily activity of an individual (from sedentary to extra active).

2. The formula is based on European units (Kg, cm):
1 Kg = 2.2 lbs / 1 lbs = 0.45 Kg
1 cm = 0.39 inches / 1 inch = 2.54 cm
1 foot = 12 inches

Harris Benedict Formula for Men:
BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kilos) + (5 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age in years)

Example for a 200lbs man, 6 feet tall at 25yo:
BMR = 66 + (13.7 x 200 x 0.45) + (5 x 6 x 12 x 2.54) - (6.8 x 25) = 2043 calories

Now that we have our BMR we should multiply it to the appropriate factor referring to the activity level:

1. Sedentary - Office job, no exercise = BMR x 1.25
2. Lightly Active - Office job, sport 3 days a week = BMR x 1.375
3. Moderately Active - Light manual job, sport 3-5 days a week = BMR x 1.55
4. Very Active - Manual job, sport 5 days a week = BMR x 1.725
5. Extra Active - Heavy manual job, sport 6-7 days a week = BMR x 1.9

Example for our 2043 BMR male:
Assuming a moderately active life, his daily caloric expenditure should be: 2043 x 1.55 = 3167 calories.
THIS IS THE THEORIC CALORIC AMOUNT AN INDIVIDUAL NEEDS TO MAINTAIN HIS WEIGHT.

thanks for that detailed in depth response! this was a few months back when i was just getting back started after my baby. definitely in beginner mode at the time. done lots and lots of research since then, got my diet and training in check!

you can check out my recent progress in the members photos.. title recent progress over the last 2 1/2 months.

thanks again! :)

yeah, i had saw your progress and assumed you had already figured it all out by now but i just went ahead and threw it out there for future reference. not all people know about using the formula for aiding in their diet needs.

Marinewifey - I assume you are doing fine since this is an old thread, BUT DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE THIS GUY HAS GIVEN. Clearly he didn't look at your stats. Some people should not be giving advice. If you need further help, PM me.

Last edited:
Marinewifey - I assume you are doing fine since this is an old thread, BUT DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE THIS GUY HAS GIVEN. Clearly he didn't look at your stats. Some people should not be giving advice. If you need further help, PM me.

:yeahthat:

I don't know about that formula decadick is using but 3000 calories is a whole lot of food for a 127lb female

wow is all i can say!!!

I know 150 pound woman that dont bulk of 3000 cals a day!!!

Tell ya what MarineWifey , rather than have us take shots in the dark as to what you need , why dont you tell us what you have been eating and we can try to figure adjustments from that.

thanks flex! :)

:yeahthat:

I don't know about that formula decadick is using but 3000 calories is a whole lot of food for a 127lb female

lol i was thinking the sameeee thing haha.

wow is all i can say!!!

I know 150 pound woman that dont bulk of 3000 cals a day!!!

Tell ya what MarineWifey , rather than have us take shots in the dark as to what you need , why dont you tell us what you have been eating and we can try to figure adjustments from that.

lol yeh 3000cals is wayyyyy too much. my macros and cals differ depending on what i'm doing.. like right now i'm trying to lean out as much as possible.. so i'm almost dieting like most girls would for a show. but this week i am eating about 1200 cal per day haven't been calculating my macros but i make sure i have protein in every meal and i'm keeping my carbs around 10g total a day..really low right now trying to really lean out and tighten up more.. i'll calculate everything today.

also i started intermittent fasting monday. i'm gonna be doing this for a few weeks. 16 hour fast, 8 hour feeding window.

also i started intermittent fasting monday. i'm gonna be doing this for a few weeks. 16 hour fast, 8 hour feeding window.

EEEEWWW , good luck with that

If you are getting 1200 cals a day with somthing like Dave Palumbo's diet , you should be getting around 180g protein , trace carbs and 54 grams fat
thats only

30g protein , trace carbs and 9g fat per meal for 6 meals a day.

If you are realy training hard i think you may be over dieting , being young and reasonably lean now you are gonna burn plenty calories. I might add 5g coconut oil to your first 3 meals , it will add some cals and give the body some energy

EEEEWWW , good luck with that

If you are getting 1200 cals a day with somthing like Dave Palumbo's diet , you should be getting around 180g protein , trace carbs and 54 grams fat
thats only

30g protein , trace carbs and 9g fat per meal for 6 meals a day.

If you are realy training hard i think you may be over dieting , being young and reasonably lean now you are gonna burn plenty calories. I might add 5g coconut oil to your first 3 meals , it will add some cals and give the body some energy

well i haven't been on my diet and consistent training for the last week and a half before monday.. so i'm kinda compensating for that now. i just feel like i should like like girls do on stage.. but they don't look like that year round i have such a bad mind/body complex of myself. but don't we all. those macros sound right! i will calculate mine throughout the day. my last meal was at 9pm after the gym last night so i will break my fast at 1pm today. it would be better if my last meal could be at 7 then i could break the fast at 11am but we don't get to the gym until 6-630 due to my husband's work schedule so we eat supper about 9 every night.

oh and i have my cheat meal on the weekends.. or two lol ;)

but yeh i am on a pretty strict diet.. wouldn't hurt to loosen it up a bit.. i'm just so OCD about it ahhh

Ugghh, fasting blows! Good luck with that! LOL

Ugghh, fasting blows! Good luck with that! LOL

lol it actually doesn't bother me.. 16 hours is pretty easy for me but i'm usually ready to eat by the 14th hour then i just have to find something to do for the next two hours so i won't cheat myself ha

I don't know what you use to get your info but I use fitday.com it's free it gives you all information based on your profile. Caloric intake, goal to loose weight percentage you should be eating as far as fat protein carbs to loose maintain weight. You can put goals in for a specific time period. They also have a calorie count meaning any macro you eat it can find out to the oz what's in it as at as sodium, fat protein etc good site. It will def help you

I don't know what you use to get your info but I use fitday.com it's free it gives you all information based on your profile. Caloric intake, goal to loose weight percentage you should be eating as far as fat protein carbs to loose maintain weight. You can put goals in for a specific time period. They also have a calorie count meaning any macro you eat it can find out to the oz what's in it as at as sodium, fat protein etc good site. It will def help you

Im pretty sure tge fitday macros are off for several foods.

imo, fasting is a fast way of getting an eating disorder. if you decide to stick with it remember to eat only until ur satisfied not full/stuffed. this means even if you didnt eat 1200 cals dont push urself to do so.

imo, fasting is a fast way of getting an eating disorder. if you decide to stick with it remember to eat only until ur satisfied not full/stuffed. this means even if you didnt eat 1200 cals dont push urself to do so.

I usually do a 16 hour fast, 8 hour deeding window. I eat 4 meals in that time..divided equally to get my calories. I don't gorge and binge, no where near an eating disorder.

I usually do a 16 hour fast, 8 hour deeding window. I eat 4 meals in that time..divided equally to get my calories. I don't gorge and binge, no where near an eating disorder.

sounds like your going about it the best way. would like to add tho that it also raises your blood pressure when on this type of diet for long periods of time. since your only going to be on it while ur dieting for the show it shouldnt be a problem. on a side note a 24 hour fast every month or so is very beneificial if done correctly.

. on a side note a 24 hour fast every month or so is very beneificial if done correctly.

What benefits does it have? Ive heard its actualy healthy to eat this way

I tried the intermintant fast thing for a few days and by 10 AM i was a raging asshole with a head and stomach ache by 1pm i was nausous and had a miagrane that dident quit till i went to bed

They say you get used to it but i dont know how long that takes

Last edited:
sounds like your going about it the best way. would like to add tho that it also raises your blood pressure when on this type of diet for long periods of time. since your only going to be on it while ur dieting for the show it shouldnt be a problem. on a side note a 24 hour fast every month or so is very beneificial if done correctly.

yes i wouldn't do it the wrong way and jeopardize all the fat i've lost and muscle i've gained. i'm not doing a show though..just like looking like i am

What benefits does it have? Ive heard its actualy healthy to eat this way

I tried the intermintant fast thing for a few days and by 10 AM i was a raging asshole with a head and stomach ache by 1pm i was nausous and had a miagrane that dident quit till i went to bed

They say you get used to it but i dont know how long that takes

definitely know what you mean here! when i first started the fasting, it made me so irritable fatigue and tired..it takes a good 2 weeks for your body to adjust, well it did mine anyways.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws