over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Putting a dog down, and second dog help

ouija

Registered
So I rescued two dogs a few years back from different places (even though the dogs were mother/son). Since adopting each they've lived together for about 3 years with me, and sadly yesterday I had to put the older one down.

So I was wondering if anyone else ever had two dogs and had to put one down and could offer some insight as to what to expect with the remaining dog? He hasn't really been sniffing around or looking for the other dog, but I'm worried about him being home alone during the workday being bummed out or picking up destructive habbits.

I'm not really in a position to adopt another dog right now. The soonest I'd be doing that would be this fall.

Just curious is it a inside dog? Small, med,large breed? ...my personal experience happened a little different. I had a pit bull and a boxer in the same pen for a couple years. While I was at work the pit tried jumping the pen and hung his collar in the fence hanging himself which really messed me up coming home to your dog hanging from the top of the pen. Neways my boxer which was female didn't understand the whole thing I'm guessing. She was not as playful as she used to be. She missed her buddy I'm sure. I just had to interact with her more and take her with me when running to town. My brother has a boxer so I took her over to play and run. Also started making her an inside dog she addapted and is fine now. Some dog actually will get really depressed. Just spoil yours and it will be fine eventually if it feels down and out.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear about your dog man..

Both mine were Springer Spaniels (38 and 48lbs). Lazy couch dogs by day, amazing hunting dogs (one was a national field champ) and tons of energy for walks/fetch games etc and there is a doggy door so they would go in and out as they please.

I know they used to play together (only when nobody was watching, sometimes I would park a few houses down and catch them lol) but for the most part the older one slept on the couch or on my bed while the younger one was posted up at the window all day watching the street.

I'm currently at my parents until my gf and I get our house this summer, so getting spoiled is an automatic.

I do think that dogs actually miss their companions, but I also think they tend to get over events much quicker than humans.

It is my opinion that most of what people perceive as sadness by the surviving animal, is them picking up on cues from the human being emotionally wrecked. I would try to be as business as usual; though I admit it would be hard.

I also don't expect this post to be a really popular one :D but it is just my opinion.

I currently have 4 dogs. I'm 50 and have had multiple dogs my whole life. 3 of mine are now geriatric.

My condolences to you, and my respect to you for rescuing those dogs and giving them a great life.

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with this. Not once have I ever noticed a dog missing another who is gone. I currently have a 15 year old mutt and I need to stand guard over her when she eats because two of the others, who have each lived with her for 5-10 happy years, will steal all of her food. They'd let her starve, and they all get along great.

Go save another dog. :love:

I currently have 4 dogs. I'm 50 and have had multiple dogs my whole life. 3 of mine are now geriatric.

My condolences to you, and my respect to you for rescuing those dogs and giving them a great life.

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with this. Not once have I ever noticed a dog missing another who is gone. I currently have a 15 year old mutt and I need to stand guard over her when she eats because two of the others, who have each lived with her for 5-10 happy years, will steal all of her food. They'd let her starve, and they all get along great.

Maybe they do miss their brethren, you just don't know it.

Unless you are the dog whisperer, then you do know.

Thanks for the replies. So far the dog has been ok, but he hasn't been home alone yet so I'll see how he does tomorrow.

I had to put down one of my dogs. Stella was the best thing in the world, and she had a litter of 10 pups, and we kept the pic male. When we put her down, he was very lonely and despondent, refused to eat and very depressed. We ended up getting another dog and in a matter of a week he became a new dog.

Dogs thrive when they are in pairs and are more relaxed and less stressed...in the case of my guy, he lost his best friend that he knew since he was born.

You can expect some loneliness to manifest itself in your dog, and some depression also, hopefully it only lasts for a short spell.

Oh, and with regard to the the fella with the pack, it's alot different dynamic than with a pair...pack dogs despite being in home create a pack dynamic that absorbs the loss of a dog easier..it is missed but in a pack dogs rebound faster due to having additional outlets (other dogs to latch on with).

I had 4 dogs for 6yrs at one point and you could see which ones were closer to each other than the others...they do have their own favorite's and buddies.

Last edited:
I do think that dogs actually miss their companions, but I also think they tend to get over events much quicker than humans.

It is my opinion that most of what people perceive as sadness by the surviving animal, is them picking up on cues from the human being emotionally wrecked. I would try to be as business as usual; though I admit it would be hard.

I also don't expect this post to be a really popular one :D but it is just my opinion.

I agree with you on both fronts...they do miss their companions and they do rebound better if the owner rebounds better as well...dogs feed off body language, facial expressions and tone...if you look, sound, and move depressed they will feel it and act accordingly...usually in a stressed manner that gets manifested in weird ways...ie: chewing of things\ peeing in the house etc....

Also, having other dogs around makes the rebound faster...

neighbor lost one of a pair

the surviving dog would bring his bone treat from the back room and lay it by the front door in hopes his buddy would return one day, he did it for a few weeks, he is 12 years old and suffered some declining health immediately after the death of the other.
I let my remaining dog go about three months before I added another to the house and it has really helped him. my old dog taught him so much and he is the only one (have three now) allowed to go out front yard as he knows where the boundaries are thru being taught from the old gal. my best friend, sammie. she would "die" on command as I shot her with my finger. she learned that in 20 minutes one night.

I've been through this, getting a puppy wasn't the best solution for me. Different energy levels, and a puppy tends to get more attention in a household. The best solution I think would have been to adopt a dog of the same age. Save an older dogs life and everyone is happy.

My uncle had a brother sister pair and around ten years old, the one died.

The other one was destroyed. They took it to the vet and the vet put it on puppy prozac. Helped a lot. They just showered her with attention and eventually he got back to normal. But they did need the meds.

Sorry for your lost and thank you for adopting.

My uncle had a brother sister pair and around ten years old, the one died.

The other one was destroyed. They took it to the vet and the vet put it on puppy prozac. Helped a lot. They just showered her with attention and eventually he got back to normal. But they did need the meds.

Sorry for your lost and thank you for adopting.

:(:(

Sorry to hear about your dog man..

Both mine were Springer Spaniels (38 and 48lbs). Lazy couch dogs by day, amazing hunting dogs (one was a national field champ) and tons of energy for walks/fetch games etc and there is a doggy door so they would go in and out as they please.

I know they used to play together (only when nobody was watching, sometimes I would park a few houses down and catch them lol) but for the most part the older one slept on the couch or on my bed while the younger one was posted up at the window all day watching the street.

I'm currently at my parents until my gf and I get our house this summer, so getting spoiled is an automatic.

My first dog as a kid was an English Springer Spaniel...Patches...She was a beautiful, loving dog. She got along great with the cat...Hulk. He would hang from her snout and they would play.

My last two dogs were English Bulldogs...Frankie and Hailey. I posted about losing Frankie in this section about 4 or 5 years ago. I lost Hailey a year later. In the time after Frankie's death, Hailey didn't skip a beat...She just stretched out farther on the couch..LOL! I think it may depend on the breed too.

I had Frankie for a couple of years and I was looking for a second dog. The vet told me that if I was looking for a second dog as companion to him, not so fast! She said Bulldogs are more about their people than other dogs. I eventually rescued Hailey and they got along but I don't they needed one another to be happy. Each one was happy with their human family.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity