alfresco

Featured Member / Kilo Klub Member
Staff member
Super Moderators
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
I am a bit behind in my reading, but the ‘food issue’ of The New Yorker Magazine, November 2, 2015 issue
has this great article on fast food, and is still available online. I’m sure much of the info will not be ‘new news’
to those of us who visit this site regularly but it is a great / informative read; a revealing look behind the scenes
of the fast food industry.

If you have the time, it is worth the time to read. It is that good. And I rarely recommend reading material.

Just to whet your appetite (no pun intended) . . . and trust me I have no axe to grind on this subject but here
is just a taste (again, not pun intended) . . .

Freedom from Fries . . . Can fast food be good for you?
By Michael Specter

Can Fast Food Get Healthy? - The New Yorker

“Fast food has become a synonym for bad food. Yet, the industrial farm system that has made it possible
for McDonald's and many other chains to sell cheeseburgers for a dollar has also enabled Americans to
spend a smaller percentage of their income on food than people do in any other country. At the start of
the First World War, food purchases consumed half the average paycheck; today the figure is six per cent.
According to federal statistics, an American in 1919 had to work for two and a half hours to earn enough
money to buy a chicken; these days it would take less than fifteen minutes of labor.”

“For years, public health officials and food scientists have noted that, as long as gallons of sugary soda
and vats of French fries are cheap and readily available, poor eating habits will be hard to change.” . . .
"In 2012, companies produced enough regular soda to supply every single person in America, regardless
of age, with nearly thirty gallons"

“People throughout the world are getting fatter. The World Health Organization refers to the epidemic
as "globesity."Yet nowhere is the trend as pronounced as it is in this country. In the United States,
per-capita calorie consumption rose from 2,109 calories a day in 1970 to 2,568 calories in 2010,
according to the Department of Agriculture. That's equivalent to adding two slices of Domino's pizza
to the daily diet of every American. The average man today weighs a hundred and ninety-five pounds,
thirty pounds more than in 1960. Seventy-eight million people were considered obese in 2012, twice
the rate of forty years ago.”

“"The data is so overwhelming the field has to accept it," Nora Volkow, the director of the National
Institute on Drug Abuse, said recently. "We are finding tremendous overlap between drugs in the
brain and food in the brain." . . . "The human body has evolved a sophisticated regulatory system to
protect against weight loss but not against weight gain," Kelly Brownell, dean of the Sanford School
of Public Policy at Duke University and an expert on obesity, told me recently. "Our bodies perceive
a diet as a form of starvation, and your metabolism will slow accordingly." "That made sense in the
Pleistocene Era, when it was essential to find, consume, and store calories for as long as possible,
but it does not make sense in our essentially sedentary society.”

"The single most important problem with food in this country is that it is vastly overproduced, and the
single most important nutritional problem is obesity," Nestle said. "These issues are clearly related,
and cheap food is a factor in both. Food companies compete fiercely for our food dollars and do
everything they can to induce us to eat their products and to eat more food, regardless of the
effects on waistlines and health."

watch Food Inc. good documentary pretty much unless you have your own garden and eat all natural meat that you have watched and fed yourself you really don't know what your getting

from my understanding the amount of calories and nutrition vs the dollar amount that a person gets from a cheeseburger at McDonald's can't be matched in the store of if you have the cow yourself

not near as healthy but dollar wise better on the wallet

I am a bit behind in my reading, but the ‘food issue’ of The New Yorker Magazine, November 2, 2015 issue
has this great article on fast food, and is still available online. I’m sure much of the info will not be ‘new news’
to those of us who visit this site regularly but it is a great / informative read; a revealing look behind the scenes
of the fast food industry.

If you have the time, it is worth the time to read. It is that good. And I rarely recommend reading material.

Just to whet your appetite (no pun intended) . . . and trust me I have no axe to grind on this subject but here
is just a taste (again, not pun intended) . . .

Freedom from Fries . . . Can fast food be good for you?
By Michael Specter

Can Fast Food Get Healthy? - The New Yorker

“Fast food has become a synonym for bad food. Yet, the industrial farm system that has made it possible
for McDonald's and many other chains to sell cheeseburgers for a dollar has also enabled Americans to
spend a smaller percentage of their income on food than people do in any other country. At the start of
the First World War, food purchases consumed half the average paycheck; today the figure is six per cent.
According to federal statistics, an American in 1919 had to work for two and a half hours to earn enough
money to buy a chicken; these days it would take less than fifteen minutes of labor.”

“For years, public health officials and food scientists have noted that, as long as gallons of sugary soda
and vats of French fries are cheap and readily available, poor eating habits will be hard to change.” . . .
"In 2012, companies produced enough regular soda to supply every single person in America, regardless
of age, with nearly thirty gallons"

“People throughout the world are getting fatter. The World Health Organization refers to the epidemic
as "globesity."Yet nowhere is the trend as pronounced as it is in this country. In the United States,
per-capita calorie consumption rose from 2,109 calories a day in 1970 to 2,568 calories in 2010,
according to the Department of Agriculture. That's equivalent to adding two slices of Domino's pizza
to the daily diet of every American. The average man today weighs a hundred and ninety-five pounds,
thirty pounds more than in 1960. Seventy-eight million people were considered obese in 2012, twice
the rate of forty years ago.”

“"The data is so overwhelming the field has to accept it," Nora Volkow, the director of the National
Institute on Drug Abuse, said recently. "We are finding tremendous overlap between drugs in the
brain and food in the brain." . . . "The human body has evolved a sophisticated regulatory system to
protect against weight loss but not against weight gain," Kelly Brownell, dean of the Sanford School
of Public Policy at Duke University and an expert on obesity, told me recently. "Our bodies perceive
a diet as a form of starvation, and your metabolism will slow accordingly." "That made sense in the
Pleistocene Era, when it was essential to find, consume, and store calories for as long as possible,
but it does not make sense in our essentially sedentary society.”

"The single most important problem with food in this country is that it is vastly overproduced, and the
single most important nutritional problem is obesity," Nestle said. "These issues are clearly related,
and cheap food is a factor in both. Food companies compete fiercely for our food dollars and do
everything they can to induce us to eat their products and to eat more food, regardless of the
effects on waistlines and health."

Sounds about right to me. Between automation, availability of different types of food, climate control and less physical movement the obvious result is obesity. I see many people in the gym who train everyday and eat a pretty healthy diet and they still look fat.

Fast food is bad for you watch supersize me...you won't eat at McDonalds again

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Food documentaries are biased towards the beliefs of the creators. Foods are not good or bad. Eating habits are what can be good or bad.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Food documentaries are biased towards the beliefs of the creators. Foods are not good or bad. Eating habits are what can be good or bad.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I would say that traditional fast "food" restaurants like McDonalds challenge the definition of "food"

Our entire food supply is not what it was in the past, you combine that with some other factors that you guys mention (people are less active) and thats the obesity epidemic.

They mess with the seeds that grow the food, the soil is not as rich as it once was. Animals are not fed properly, they just feed them what is cheap and will bulk them up, but not what is best to make the animal good for eating. Plus they give them all kinds of antibiotics and hormones. There is also a much larger variety of processed foods that are available now that were not in the past, and processed food is not good for the waist line.

Its no longer farming, its like a science experiment, and the food ends up not being good for us. I started buying organic a while back and you can taste the difference especially in the meats. Im actually not crazy about the taste of organic meat because I am so used to eating the shit meat. Its a fact that one organic apple has the same amount of nutrients as 5 non organic apples, I mean that is just a staggering statistic.

Then you have fast food, and thats the worst of the worst. I dont even know what that shit is that they can charge $1 for a "burger" thats got virtually no meat on it (the meat that is on it is Grade D) and is all bun and ketchup with pickles.

Fast food is junk. Look at the macro count. Since when does a burger contain such little protein? As far as organic food goes I'm sure it good but I keep hearing people say how much healthier they are for you but every single study I've read shows similar levels of vitamins and nutrients between organic and conventional. Organic does have its benefits. Less pesticides, less hormones. I don't eat organic because I don't think the benefits are worth the cost. I can wash my fruits and veggies and it's pretty easy to choose certain meats that don't have the bullshit additives without "organic " label. As for fast food joints we all have our cravings and deserve a massive cheat meal on occasion but there are much better choices than McDonald's or Burger King. God I hate those places.

I never buy the argument that cheap food ls what makes people fat. Costco I get 10 lbs of chicken for 23 dollars. Large bags of red skin and sweet potatoes for a few dollars. The rare occasion that I eat at a fast food place it still will cost me more then cooking. I should know because I used to eat fast food almost everyday for years. Lol Being lazy is what makes people fat.

As for fast food joints we all have our cravings and deserve a massive cheat meal on occasion but there are much better choices than McDonald's or Burger King. God I hate those places.

No doubt. I probably have never went more then a month without chicken wings and beer. Lol That Ice cold beer after long work day when it's 98 degrees out.

No doubt. I probably have never went more then a month without chicken wings and beer. Lol That Ice cold beer after long work day when it's 98 degrees out.

Nothing beats a cold one. I go so long in between drinks now that when I finally do i swear it's the best drink I ever had.

I work on the road a lot so for lunch it's almost always fast food

it gets old after a while but don't have much of a choice-I look at the guys on the job site eating the same shit...some guys are skinny some are fat fucks

guess who the lazy ones are? Genetics plays a big role in it too...

I work for construction company operating heavy equipment don't have luxury of brining meals to work always on the go. So for lunch I been eating at the publix grocery store deli and the got some the best fried chicken tenders!!! With high metabolism to I need some extra calories!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
rarely ever eat fast food anymore. Even the burger's I'm more partial to like five guys, in n out and carls jr (think their 6 dollar thickburger is underrated for a decent quality fast food burger) don't tempt me like they used to. Prefer going to a real restaurant for a burger and making my own now.

Some places make some decent quality food though. I work next to a which wich and go there for lunch maybe once a week and get a large double turkey or buffalo chicken sandwich. They slice the meats before making it (tastes much more fresh than subway or jimmy johns meats) and almost always get them without cheese or mayo so the macros end up being roughly 70 grams of protein 8 grams of fat and 100 grams of carbs.

Even places like chipotle cook their rice with oil in it, so hard to find places that are completely clean. Also most places use a mix of breast and thigh/rib meat when they say chicken and don't indicate chicken breast (which is why the steak option is usually lower fat than the chicken at a lot of places).

I quit fast food a few years ago. Once every blue moon I may get forced to eat it. That's when I realize why I gave it up in the first place. It goes down tasting good but soon after I feel sluggish/lethargic and then typically have some type of stomach discomforts like bloat and/or diarrhea.

Nothing goes down faster than a protein drink. I stick to those during my work hours, and have a real nutritious breakfast, preworkout meal, and post workout meal.

Simple answer......NO.

If you eat like shit, you look like shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple answer......NO.

If you eat like shit, you look like shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed! Fast food is unhealthy in the short and long term.

Nothing goes down faster than a protein drink. I stick to those during my work hours, and have a real nutritious breakfast, preworkout meal, and post workout meal.

Same here. If I don't have access to a solid meal than a shake it is with a handful of almonds. Some nights at work it's so dead I can easily get 4 meals in on a 12 hour shift. Other nights are just crazy and I can sit for 10 min.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131