over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Strength gains the older you get

thehazzle

Kilo Klub Member
Years ago when I jumped on cycle I'd get insanely strong week in week out. Nowadays even on cycle strength doesn't fly up and still isn't near the number it used to be. Still gain size though. Kind of feels like my CNS is toast. Whereas before I'd literally feel like superman in the gym and everything felt light.
Calories are high, sleep is plenty and only in the gym 5x a week with no cardio so doesn't seem like I'm over training.

Volume is higher nowadays. Before I used to train Dorian Yates style training but now beats my joints up too much.

Anyone else experience this?

I get like that from time to time 2-3 weeks off and I feel like new. Sometimes just a break is all you need. But as I age my strength doesn't seem to increase as much as it used to either.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

After 7yrs of strait lifting I hit my strongest last winter.
I was on less gear than previous yrs and even now when just runnin test base and primo I get close to my personal best often.
Normally I only hit one major bodypart per week and then still only max when feeling it.
At 48 I need to listen to what the body wants and not some Log book I need to beat on a weekly bases.
Still looking forward to this winters Blast but shit seems like it is getting easiear to Tear.

Sooner or later you could get stronger than your body can handle!
Size is what really matters....I keep telling myself.lol

Years ago when I jumped on cycle I'd get insanely strong week in week out. Nowadays even on cycle strength doesn't fly up and still isn't near the number it used to be. Still gain size though. Kind of feels like my CNS is toast. Whereas before I'd literally feel like superman in the gym and everything felt light.
Calories are high, sleep is plenty and only in the gym 5x a week with no cardio so doesn't seem like I'm over training.

Volume is higher nowadays. Before I used to train Dorian Yates style training but now beats my joints up too much.

you can't expect it to last forever, sounds like you should quit.

I don't gain strength gains as easily as when I was younger but weight goes up fast when it never used to

Last edited:
Light to moderate cycles definitely help with the physique but strength is something I care less about these days. What do I care if I use 70 lb dumbbells or 110's as long as the thickness and response in appearance is there?

I think its all mentality and less motivation. Its kinda like over training. Sometimes all you need is to give your mind and body a break.

Just because you feel strong...doesn't mean you should max out. Be safe...take your time.....and pack on slow steady gains in a manner sustainable without injury.

If you're feeling insanely strong because you're on a mass cycle that you started a week or two prior.....it doesn't mean all of a sudden your tendons increased in size.

Case in point.....I was in my mass cycle...insane strength gains....I didn't listen to my normal motto of safety first. I maxed out my squat....Strength wise I could handle it, but my tendons couldn't. Thus, bam...both tendons and quads ruptured.

My point is: you may be stronger on a cycle; however, your tendons aren't going to grow to match your strength that you newly acquired from starting a mass cycle. Just keep that in mind and don't make strength gains your number 1 priority.

Last edited:
don’t know if this answers or addresses your Q . . .

For what it’s worth . . . I am 62. Been lifting since I was 18. Long time.
I am on TRT, doctor supervised, @ 200mg per week of Mr. C. Was not
on anything when I was younger. I waited until about 10 years ago
to dabble with anabolics, of which testosterone is all I have known.

I was stronger in some movements at a younger age and stronger at
some movements now. Go figure. I don’t think it is specialization as
I am more of a ‘generalist’ in the gym. No doubt the extra testosterone
is responsible for any strength gains above and beyond what I could
do when younger. That strength (and size) change was extremely fast
and unexpected with a definite cause and effect relationship between
dosage and strength and size.

I have no desire go back and attempt duplication of what I did when younger.
What’s the point? I am, by and large, injury free and hope to stay that way.
And I don't look half bad If I do say so myself. Some body parts are better
now, some were better way back when . . . I did abuse myself in the youth
for which I am paying for now but nothing that is not surmountable.

Hope this helps.

I went through the same shit. I have old injuries besides the the joints and tendons giving me trouble.

I had to put my pride in my back pocket and come up with an injury prevention type of training routine. It was for the injuries at first but it ended up being everything. I really wish I would have taken this approach when I was younger.

It wasn't easy at first using what I would have called "sissy" weights. But, in the end I could get just as much out of the new routine as the heavy routine. It's just a matter of learning what it takes to make us grow with the different approach.

For me it was 1 step back to take 3 steps forward.

H

This is a hard thing for many to do that I know but it helps. Take at least a month or two off the gym get deep tissue massages and go to physical therapy. If you can during this time get on hgh,

I totally agree with using some good gh.

I've been on for two years and recovery of everything has been fantastic.

Good stuff for us older gents.

H

you know i was kidding on earlier reply, at least i hope you do. how old are you?

i agree with the others here, put your pride in your back pocket. take things week by week as i'm sure it will go back and forth till the day you can't or won't feel like lifting every week.

but don't ever quit. science shows we can still build muscle well into our last years. happy lifting.

I'm kind of in limbo right now when I train. I don't really care too much about how much i'm lifting, I care way more about actually feeling the weight and getting a great pump. Today for example, felt super strong box squatting 315 for reps. Could have gone quite a bit heavier, but was like for what? So I could have lower back pain for the next 2 days.

I'll be starting a cycle by the end this month, haven't used anything in 5 years. It will be interesting to see if I keep the same mindset of going for reps/volume instead of going heavy for 2-3 reps.

I'm kind of in limbo right now when I train. I don't really care too much about how much i'm lifting, I care way more about actually feeling the weight and getting a great pump. Today for example, felt super strong box squatting 315 for reps. Could have gone quite a bit heavier, but was like for what? So I could have lower back pain for the next 2 days.

I'll be starting a cycle by the end this month, haven't used anything in 5 years. It will be interesting to see if I keep the same mindset of going for reps/volume instead of going heavy for 2-3 reps.
Funny but whenever I start using more gear I use more weight. But I try to not let it go to my head if you know what I mean.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've been doing low weight - high rep for awhile and can lift no where near what I did even 7-8 years ago.... but no aches and pains and still looking good is it's own reward lol

After yrs and yrs of training, My Mind Muscle connections are peaking.
Using less weight and perfect form, targeting A precise muscle contraction that reaches deeper than Ever!!!

I got sick of the high rep lower weight style of training. Sessions just kept getting longer and longer it seemed in order to continue progressing. Instead I moved to a heavy weight low volume style and love it. I am in and out in an hour, the heavy weight feels like much more of an accomplishment. I'm doing 3-4 exercises for legs, chest, shoulders, and back. 2 exercises for arms. Sets are 22reps, 16-18reps, 14-16reps, 10-12reps. 4 sets per exercise. As heavy as I can hitting those rep ranges. 3 day split, chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs/shoulders.

Still seems very high in Reps!
I have always pyramided.
1st of 15 reps than work down in reps as adding weight to 6 reps or even lower on certain exercises, than lower weights and add reps back in working back up to 15 for my last burnout.
2nd exercise I start heavy with a set around 10-12 reps and drop weight for prior sets still hitting around 8- 10reps till I'm spent.
Then off to my 3rd exercise in the same fashion.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws