YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What do you guys keep your heart rate (BPM) at when doing cardio?

superbigd

Registered
I’ve been doing elliptical for past couple months everyday fasted in the morning at 135-145 BPM. 5’11 206lbs now.

I like to get to 120s, then pick up the pace until I hit 140s then slow down until I get down to 120 then repeat. Keeps me from getting bored to death

I use the stair master or bike , I’ll run it up to 150bmn of 3-4 min then let it fall back to 120 and as soon as it does ramp it back up again I can generally get this done 3 times in a 15 min session

42yr old , 260-270lbs

The elliptical is my preferred cardio machine. I aim for mid-130s and often hit mid-140s by the time I've really hit my stride. I'd have to start sprinting to get to the 150s.

31, ~215lbs.

Arc trainer. 130ish for steady or I do 1-2 minutes of a resting pace followed by deads/ball slams/ jump squats/pushups/pullups/whatever I'm using for high intensity

The elliptical is my preferred cardio machine. I aim for mid-130s and often hit mid-140s by the time I've really hit my stride. I'd have to start sprinting to get to the 150s.

31, ~215lbs.

Nearly identical to this. Do you think it’s too high? My fear is that I might be tapping into some muscle stores. On the other hand I feel that this is a better health approach vs keeping it lower at say 120

Nearly identical to this. Do you think it’s too high? My fear is that I might be tapping into some muscle stores. On the other hand I feel that this is a better health approach vs keeping it lower at say 120

I don't think it's too high, otherwise I wouldn't do it. It's definitely better for cardiovascular health. Ideally, we should be getting our HR into the 140s - 150s and keeping it there for a while for peak cardio health.

Cardio isn't going to eat muscle unless you're in a severe caloric deficit and doing tons of it. Given that you're on this board you probably use some performance enhancers which will protect against muscle loss. Don't worry about it.

I don't think it's too high, otherwise I wouldn't do it. It's definitely better for cardiovascular health. Ideally, we should be getting our HR into the 140s - 150s and keeping it there for a while for peak cardio health.

Cardio isn't going to eat muscle unless you're in a severe caloric deficit and doing tons of it. Given that you're on this board you probably use some performance enhancers which will protect against muscle loss. Don't worry about it.

Going 5-6 days a week in the AM fasted trying to get down to 195 and stay there. Think I should cut back to 3x a week?

Impressive.

I use the stair master or bike , I’ll run it up to 150bmn of 3-4 min then let it fall back to 120 and as soon as it does ramp it back up again I can generally get this done 3 times in a 15 min session

42yr old , 260-270lbs

You are a big dude

I like to get it up to 120-125 right away, then work it up to 130-140 before I finish.

I'd say anything 120+ is going to get the job done for heart health, the mistake a lot make is to not monitor your heartrate at all.

What BPM are you guys seeing for resting heart rate

I like to get it up to 120-125 right away, then work it up to 130-140 before I finish.

I'd say anything 120+ is going to get the job done for heart health, the mistake a lot make is to not monitor your heartrate at all.

the mistake a alot make is not knowing your max hr, resulting in either not going hard enuff, or going too hard.
im 48 and if i used some generic useless formula 220-age i'd be at 172 max. i can still hit 186 doing hit on the last couple intervals so no way is 172 my max.
christ, i just got done on a road ride and was at 160 no problem.
i operate at a high hr with a low resting hr tho, in the 50's.
low and slow, 114-132.
intervals up to 174-180.

Going 5-6 days a week in the AM fasted trying to get down to 195 and stay there. Think I should cut back to 3x a week?

I don't think you should cut back if you're not at your goal weight.

You get your weight down by being in a caloric deficit, period. Whether you do that through tons of cardio or consuming less calories is personal preference. But one or both have to be in play.

I think we need to ask why were are doing cardio.

For me I only do cardio 3 times or so a week for heart health.

If I were going to do cardio for fat loss I'd do longer sessions with a lower heart rate.

Here is my Cardiogram recap for yesterday

Attachments

• 576876FB-5FFD-4764-88DD-7171D1B719DC.jpg
    576876FB-5FFD-4764-88DD-7171D1B719DC.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 207

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members