over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Let's talk.. Insulin Sensitivity !!

Killer.7

Registered
Sup brahs. Just want to compile some info for maximizing insulin sensitivity using supplements (not metaformin)

So far I have

300mgs R-Ala
2 tablespoons of pure Apple Cider Vinegar
chromium picolinate(dose?)
cinnamon (dose?)

Please share your stacks or input your opinions !

this is a great thread... I took am some what insulin resistant.. my best ratio for cutting is 40%pro/ 20%carb/ 40%fat of total calories.

I have dabbled with metformin in the past but nothing consistant or long term after reading about its effect on igf1 and lowering ATP making it not useful for bodybuilding (or maybe it was for bulking and still ok for cutting) cant remember will have to read back up on it to refresh my memory.

Ive used r ala in high doses and felt low bg so it does work but how well not sure both times were deep into a diet.

There's a whole category of supplements called GDAs (glucose disposal agents). Some ingredients in the products mimic the effect of insulin -- shuttle glucose into cells, and others interfere with carbohydrate absorption.

I wish they would separate these as they do very different things and serve different purposes. The main thing to understand about the "insulin mimics" (this includes Na-R-ALA) is that they have not been shown to have any preferential distinction in terms of muscle or fat cell uptake. On the other hand, neither does insulin itself.

Some brands include Anabolic Pump, Glycobol, and SlinSane. You could look these up and research the ingredients.

We are naturally more insulin sensitive in the morning. Other than that, the only true way to improve insulin sensitivity to use a very low carb diet for a period of time.

As someone who uses insulin to build muscle I am interesting in maintaining good insulin sensitivity. I suppose I should look into metaformin.

Sup brahs. Just want to compile some info for maximizing insulin sensitivity using supplements (not metaformin)

So far I have

300mgs R-Ala
cinnamon (dose?)

You might want to check the scientific literature on most of the things that have claimed benefits on insulin sensitivity and blood glucose. Most of them are worthless or have very minimal effects.

Eat clean, lift intensely and stay lean and as a rule insulin sensitivity looks after itself. I can use slin and g with next to no impact on moderate doses of I eat good. As soon as I start overeating and gaining visceral fat it decreases some what. Luckily I drop visceral fat real easy and the sensitivity comes straight back.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
There's a whole category of supplements called GDAs (glucose disposal agents). Some ingredients in the products mimic the effect of insulin -- shuttle glucose into cells, and others interfere with carbohydrate absorption.

I wish they would separate these as they do very different things and serve different purposes. The main thing to understand about the "insulin mimics" (this includes Na-R-ALA) is that they have not been shown to have any preferential distinction in terms of muscle or fat cell uptake. On the other hand, neither does insulin itself.

Some brands include Anabolic Pump, Glycobol, and SlinSane. You could look these up and research the ingredients.

We are naturally more insulin sensitive in the morning. Other than that, the only true way to improve insulin sensitivity to use a very low carb diet for a period of time.

Are you saying that supplements/drugs don't work for improving sensitivity and diet is the only solution, or are you saying that supps-drugs AND diet both work?

I am asking because I know with certainity that certain supps-drugs do a wonderful job of increasing insulin sensitivity. In addition to senstizers, many mimetics will also improve sensitivity indirectly.

Last edited:
Yes, you should--great drug.

can you elaborate on this mike? how you would use it. Benefits and risks. I read on johns site something about amp k? or something like that and protein sythethis

Yes, you should--great drug.

It's a great drug for insulin sensitivity, but I don't think everyone should run out and start taking it. I find digestion gets a lot worse on metformin. Additionally, it increases levels of homocystine which is especially bad for those in our sport as it can lead to increased likelihood of heart attack. Finally I've also read that it reduces circulating TSH levels, which can lead to a "slower metabolism" or less T3/T4 production.

I have a huge stack of metformin here, got it for free years ago (long story).

I take one every now and then, mainly after those huge meals on the weekends or after pizza. It usually gives me the shits, though.

I agree with the guy that said "stay lean". Best thing...

So far I have

300mgs R-Ala
cinnamon (dose?)

Bump for suggested doses of Chromium picolinate, cinnamon as well as D-chiro-inositol and vanadyl sulfate!

With all the respect, why he should use a drug when he can do it naturally.
His not obese or diabetic.

Let me rephrase. If he wants to get as much benefit from insulin as he can, while still maintaining a normal level of insulin sensitivity, he will not only need metformin, but several other insulin sensitizers as well. If he is also using GH, he is going to need it all the more.

So, my recommendation was directed towards those people who wish to take full advantage of insulin without damaging their metabolic health. Many insulin & GH using BB'rs are severely insulin resistant...and no amount of leaness is going to correct it. Unfortnately, GH and insulin, when used at even moderate BB'ing doses, can cause insulin resistance. The higher the dosages the worse the problem gets.

I would never recommend using insulin or GH or the point of insulin resistance...and if the BB'r wants to use higher dosages of these 2 drugs than what the body will tolerate (tolerate= maintaining normal sensitivity), then insulin sensitizers are going to have to play a role. The right combination of sensitizers (supps & drugs) used properly can work wonders for increases sensitivity.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase. If he wants to get as much benefit from insulin as he can, while still maintaining a normal level of insulin sensitivity, he will not only need metformin, but several other insulin sensitizers as well. If he is also using GH, he is going to need it all the more.

So, my recommendation was directed towards those people who wish to take full advantage of insulin without damaging their metabolic health. Many insulin & GH using BB'rs are severely insulin resistant...and no amount of leaness is going to correct it. Unfortnately, GH and insulin, when used at even moderate BB'ing doses, can cause insulin resistance. The higher the dosages the worse the problem gets.

I would never recommend using insulin or GH or the point of insulin resistance...and if the BB'r wants to use higher dosages of these 2 drugs than what the body will tolerate (tolerate= maintaining normal sensitivity), then insulin sensitizers are going to have to play a role. The right combination of sensitizers (supps & drugs) used properly can work wonders for increases sensitivity.

Hi Mike,

Could you tell us what supplements and at what doses you would recommend for this issue?

Thank you :)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner