YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do you count your carbs for insulin?

crunchy

Registered
Verified Customer
Alright so everyone gets one dumb question right? Well here's mine; I have been working my way up with novo rapid(humalog). I started @4 iu and worked my way up to 10iu. while I am working out I drink 1 scoop intra md with 20 grams added carbs from Karbolyn, for a total of 50gm carbs. Post workout take 10 iu insulin I drink 50 grams carbs from muscle meds secret sauce with an additional 50 from karbolyn. So I count all my carbs for my insulin after I take the shot. In this scenario do you believe I am taking to much carbs? Do you count your intra workout carbs towards what you need for insulin? Yes I could start over at 2 iu and work up, And I might. Just trying to get some opinions and some insight. Thanks

Last edited:
Alright so everyone gets one dumb question right? Well here's mine; I have been working my way up with novo rapid(humalog). I started @4 iu and worked my way up to 10iu. while I am working out I drink 1 scoop intra md with 20 grams added carbs from Karbolyn, for a total of 50gm carbs. Post workout take 10 iu insulin I drink 50 grams carbs from muscle meds secret sauce with an additional 50 from karbolyn. So I count all my carbs for my insulin after I take the shot. In this scenario do you believe I am taking to much carbs? Do you count your intra workout carbs towards what you need for insulin? Yes I could start over at 2 iu and work up, And I might. Just trying to get some opinions and some insight. Thanks

if taking insulin pre-workout, yes.

you are supposed to adjust your insulin according to how many carbs you eat..not the other way around.

if you ordinarily consume 40g carbs pre-workout, 60 during workout, and 60 post workout, and want to add insulin, do so according to how many carbs are included during the time when the insulin is active.

From what I read I decided to take it post workout since its my first time. That does make sense to me. Thank you for the answer

if you use a rapid acting insulin then look up the peak time curve first and go from there. humalog (or any other rapid insulin) peaks from about minute 40 after injection until about minute 120 after injection and then starts to drop again and is pretty much nil at minute 240

after various experiments with blood sugar measuring on myself for me novolog (humalog should be the same) hits me hard exactly at minute 50, so i need to consume a good amount of fast carbs at about 30-40mins after injection (or slower carbs earlier, shortly after injection)... at about minute 90-100 after injection it hits me again, so again a couple minutes before that i need to have consumed some carbs

the total amount of carbs - to be safe - consumed during the active time should be about 10g per 1iu

if you use 10iu pre workout then consume about 100g carbs over the 3 hours after injection.

it takes a lot of experimenting though.
some people slam a shake with dextrose the same time they inject. for me i would go hypo FAST with that because the dextrose would already be cleared from my blood when the insulin would hit me. dextrose pretty much goes into my blood instantly and is pretty much out after an hour. i concluded that from various blood sugar tests.
since insulin peaks after about 50mins for me i would go hypo then, so i have to consume the carbs later.
very individual though.
it also depends on if theres food in your stomach, how fast you digest etc etc.

As stated, with slin you have to look at the window of activity, not just the time you take it.
If you work out at 5PM and take slin pre or post then your 4PM pre workout meal, your intra workout consumption, your post workout shake and subsequent meal all have carbs that affect the equation.
Fit ur slin to ur carbs NOT ur carbs to ur slin is very good advice from Slice.

First, thanks everyone for the answers. I believe I heard the fit the insulin to the carbs before. However I've also heard the start low work up, which seemed more safe for me to begin with, also why I am starting with post workout.

What I posted originally is what I do eveyday I'm working out. 50gm during and 50 post. Although lately I added carbs to the post for the sake of playing it safe. I have felt like it was a little much. But I have a base line now to go from.

I pretty much use as many carbs as I can. That combined with good quality protein means I am getting the most out of the slin I use. On my phone now but Jizzmo pretty much covered most things in his reply. I forgot to add I dose mine pre workout so that's changes thing significantly. If I have slin any other time the dose depends upon my carbs but I usually follow the simple guideline of 1IU equals 10g. Post workout you should be extra sensitive to the slin so be careful if you start upping the dose more. I see no need in using more than 10IU each time (short acting slin). I would much rather inject twice daily than take 1 big shot.

Last edited:
Personally I feel very sensitive to slin post workout. For me taking slin pre workout has been easier to control the peaks and increases my pumps like nothing else. I do 2 scoops of glycofuse( 50g carbs )mixed with 20oz of Gatorade(34g carbs). I take 10iu as soon as I walk into the gym and sip on my carb drink during the workout. So about 8g of carbs per iu. Everyone is different and handles doses differently. Just thought I'd share.

dont know if this is true or not, but a guy at my gym who has experience with slin told me, just make it to the peak ,so lets say your running fast humalog ,peaks at 45 to 90 min, after that, even though it has a 3 to 5 hour life, you wont go hypo after the peak, so even if you dont take in another carb after peak, you wont go hypo ,like i said, dont know if thats true and wouldnt want to risk it anyway, maybe some of you experienced slin guys can shed some light on that

Last edited:
dont know if this is true or not, but a guy at my gym who has experience with slin told me, just make it to the peak ,so lets say your running fast humalog ,peaks at 45 to 90 min, after that, even though it has a 3 to 5 hour life, you wont go hypo after the peak, so even if you dont take in another carb after peak, you wont go hypo ,like i said, dont know if thats true and wouldnt want to risk it anyway, maybe some of you experienced slin guys can shed some light on that

definitely not true

definitely not true

yeah sounded fishy to me to, first question was why would anyone want to do that in the first place, he said if your worried about fat gains, the dumb ass is gonna end up dead

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner