lynx

IFBB PRO/ NPC Judge / TRIPLE Featured Member/Verif
IFBB PROS
JUDGES
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I met Dr. Baruch Blumberg today at the Astrobiology conference. He discovered the Hepatitis B Virus and then later the vaccine for it. He's the reason that Astrobiology is what it is today. If a Nobel Laureate says it's important, hard to argue with that. :D

He had a hard time going anywhere, people line up to talk to him and get pictures. He is SO nice and takes time to talk to everyone, including little ol' me! :eek:

Attachments

• DSC01749_1.jpg
    DSC01749_1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 326
Look at my cheesy grin! :rolleyes: I don't care! :D

Attachments

• DSC01751_1.jpg
    DSC01751_1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 298
He even wanted to get a picture with me! Awww! :eek:

He was so sought after people didn't even care if he was looking at them, they just wanted to be in the same frame as him! LOL! :D

Attachments

• DSC01752_1.jpg
    DSC01752_1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 300
He even wanted to get a picture with me! Awww! :eek:

He was so sought after people didn't even care if he was looking at them, they just wanted to be in the same frame as him! LOL! :D

LOOOOOL

it must've been such an honor meeting him... from the pics, it looks like he had very interesting things to say :D

And then we (Dyana, myself and Michael) took a picture with him as a group at the poster session. I told Dyana about how I met him and why he was so important here. She was just giddy that she was able to meet him and then on cloud nine when she got to take a picture with him. As I think were most people there!

Attachments

• DSC01779_1.jpg
    DSC01779_1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 297
LOOOOOL

it must've been such an honor meeting him... from the pics, it looks like he had very interesting things to say :D

It was and he could have talked about dog poop and I would have still looked like that! :D

He was talking to me about a collection of Native American language at the...oooo, I want to say the American Philosophical Society?! I'll have to look it up. :eek:

Looks like you are involved in research..Very awesome indeed and I'm sure the experience of meeting a Nobel prize winner made it even better...

What type of research are you doing? Just viruses and such??

I'm currently working on a project involving Hibiscus extract and treating different cancer cell-lines with it and determining proliferation and apoptosis numbers..In the summer, I'll be switching from Hibiscus to Quercitin extract..

this is really cool. i have the utmost respect for ingenuitive people like this. a lot of people are intelligent, but only a few have the ability to put into effect the things which most could only dream about.

a nobel prize was awarded to Barack H. Obama. still trying to figure that one

they never even gave Einstein a nobel prize for general or special relativity which coupled with newtons ideas forms the basis for all fundamental physics. they awarded to him for his explanation of the photoelectric effect!!!!!

sometimes the criteria to give an award seems askew

by the way so many common items would NEVER exist with general relativity. for example the GPS you use everyday, and designing magnetic fields in TV's before plasma and LCD. the electrons traveled at relativistic velocities

That's pretty cool, Hoser.

Keep up the good work. You actually don't look fat in those pictures! :eek::D

I was thinking about how popular he is here and it made me think it's like Gene Simmons at a Kiss convention! Lol! :D

Looks like you are involved in research..Very awesome indeed and I'm sure the experience of meeting a Nobel prize winner made it even better...

What type of research are you doing? Just viruses and such??

I'm currently working on a project involving Hibiscus extract and treating different cancer cell-lines with it and determining proliferation and apoptosis numbers..In the summer, I'll be switching from Hibiscus to Quercitin extract..

I was working on two different projects: Using Astrobiology curriculum to stimulate Native American students into math and science and I was also working on using differential equations to understanding host-virus interactions in a Sulfolobus/virus system with one or more host strains and one or more virus strains with different infectivity. My graduate committee pulled me off the populations/dynamics modeling project in order for me to finish my masters with the curriculum project. I had to be finished by February 1st and the modeling project would have taken up too much of my time. :(

Sounds like your research is pretty amazing! I'm not even going to pretend to know anything about it (!) but I'm curious why are you switching from Hibiscus to Quercitin?

Keep up the good work. You actually don't look fat in those pictures! :eek::D

Ha...ha...HA! :action-:m :D

I was working on two different projects: Using Astrobiology curriculum to stimulate Native American students into math and science and I was also working on using differential equations to understanding host-virus interactions in a Sulfolobus/virus system with one or more host strains and one or more virus strains with different infectivity. My graduate committee pulled me off the populations/dynamics modeling project in order for me to finish my masters with the curriculum project. I had to be finished by February 1st and the modeling project would have taken up too much of my time. :(

Sounds like your research is pretty amazing! I'm not even going to pretend to know anything about it (!) but I'm curious why are you switching from Hibiscus to Quercitin?

The host-virus interactions project sounds very interesting to me...The first one I have no clue about, lol....

My project is basically simple..We are using natural remedies "Hibiscus" to see if it causes the cancer cells to go through programed cell death, which is apoptosis...I'm going to a different university this summer to work on their project, and they are using the "quercitin" instead of the "Hibiscus"...Both are natural products and have showed anti-cancer properties in vitro..

I was also working on using differential equations to understanding host-virus interactions in a Sulfolobus/virus system with one or more host strains and one or more virus strains with different infectivity.

Sure... :eek:

Translation? :confused: That's about where my comprehension of the English language ends.. :( :D :rolleyes:

Hummm... I'm REALLY wondering why Dr. Blumberg seems more interested with the young lady in turquoise shirt on his left than with the beauty on his right... :D LOL! Not kind, I know... :ange:-smi:an:el-smi

The host-virus interactions project sounds very interesting to me...The first one I have no clue about, lol....

My project is basically simple..We are using natural remedies "Hibiscus" to see if it causes the cancer cells to go through programed cell death, which is apoptosis...I'm going to a different university this summer to work on their project, and they are using the "quercitin" instead of the "Hibiscus"...Both are natural products and have showed anti-cancer properties in vitro..

Lol! :D
Well, your research sounds pretty awesome! I hope things go smoothly for you this summer. :D
I may end up working the other project, I was talking to my lab director tonight and he said he still wants me to work on the modeling so I'll have to see what my committee says. :s

Sure... :eek:

Translation? :confused: That's about where my comprehension of the English language ends.. :( :D :rolleyes:

Lol! Let's see...quick version: first see how infections virus 1 is compared to virus 2 in a host, let's say host A at the same titer (amount) separately. (The host is an extremophile [genus name: Sulfolobus], found in very acidic [pH<4] and very hot [65-85C] environments: volcanos, hot springs.) Next quantify this as a number, for example: virus 1 is 0.5 more virulent than virus 2 on host A, and then use these numbers in a series of equations designed to explain the system that exists between the host and viruses.
How'd I do? :)

Hummm... I'm REALLY wondering why Dr. Blumberg seems more interested with the young lady in turquoise shirt on his left than with the beauty on his right... :D LOL! Not kind, I know... :ange:-smi:an:el-smi

:eek: Lol! Shame on you! :devil-smi
He really is a nice person, he give everyone that talks to him his undivided attention. He ignores all the chaos that surrounds him and just focuses on the person he's speaking to...I've been watching him. :eek: No, no, I've been observing him. ;) :D

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127