over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Running Far and Lifting Heavy

crablib

Registered
Thought it'd be cool to link up my log here as well as I really appreciate PM. I'm a fairly new runner but have managed to do a decent job balancing strength and endurance. I just recently finished a 50K Trail run in early January and am currently training for the XPC Finals at The Arnold in early March.

Previous to that I did a meet, 1/2 Marathon, and finished with a sub 6 minute mile all in the same weekend.

PLMeetHalfMarathon666: http://youtu.be/idRZ7zGi9a0[URL]

Looks like maybe I fucked up the link there, my apologies.

PLMeetHalfMarathon666: [ame]http://youtu.be/idRZ7zGi9a0[/ame]

Congratulations, Luther. Great accomplishments in terms of PL total, sub-6 minute mile, and running that 50K.

I have similar interests, but my endurance sport of choice is cycling. I wasn't sure powerlifting and cycling were compatible until I came across the writings of someone I'm sure you're familiar with. (He's not a sponsor here, so I'll leave his name out pursuant to the rules.) It was cool to learn you could do both, and do both well, if you took measures to balance things appropriately.

Again, congrats, and please keep us informed as you continue to progress down this unique path.

Nice man. If you haven't already check out Alex Viada he is an elite level athlete as both a powerlifter and a marathon runner. Has a lot of articles about how to train in order to progress toward both goals.

Lol, I know Alex quite well! He's been very cool to me. Hoping to keep pushing this along. Definitely is nice knowing there are others. Some of these things get a bit daunting and awfully loaded psychologically... Especially as everyone tells you how you can't do what you're doing! I'll keep plugging away and I'd love to here about what you guys are doing as well!

That's some benching from this week, going to hopefully make a run at 198 for The XPC Finals at The Arnold. We will see though, currently at 218.

Luther:

How are you balancing caloric needs for performance and dropping weight when needed? I could stand to trim down a bit for better performance, but all the cycling and lifting requires some serious sustenance. Alex indicated in a podcast that he errs on the side of overeating in the beginning and calibrating things from there to avoid impacting performance. What's your experience been here?

I'll be honest, I don't need shit tons of extra calories. You need to look at your propensity for using given macros right from the outset. I promise you can still get fat with endurance and lifting, lol! I've actually cut my calories back substantially from the beginning intro to speed based work, ie the mile time. Now that I've been focused on more distance the caloric requirements aren't that far outside of my norm. So yes, initially you burn up fuel like crazy but it will level off. Again though it goes back to specificity of training as always.

Funny you post this, I was just telling my buddy who's trying to get me on his powerlifting programming that I still want to be able to run a 5k (yeah, not far) in a decent time.

Yeah 5k is pretty straightforward. Just did a seminar this past weekend and it was amazing to see how many people were having come to Jesus moments when they heard...no really, you can run and lift, lol!

Here's my latest log, headed into run season and lifting is a slow retooling of things.

**broken link removed**

So, it looks like you're training for a half-marathon, a marathon, and a 50 mile ultra. Any PL competitions planned for this year?

My PRs:

10k 29:21 (age 18 2002)
Bench 360lb (age 30 2014)

I don't think I could finish a 10k now though :)

Best of luck with your attempt for endurance and strength, noble goals!

great lifts man,,,and running.I dont do cardio out of fear of losing weight but i am going to cahnge that as ive been getting out of breathe with anything over 5 reps lol.Wanna be big strong and healthy cardio wise to.Congrats.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws