over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thoughts on Wendlers 5/3/1

jbthumper

Registered
I am thinking of buying the ebook and following the program. what is everyones thoughts on it? worth it? I had decent luck with DC training. Or should I just stick with a 5x5 type and save myself the extra cash. Anyone with experience with this program want to chime in? I am thinking of doing 3 day split with rack pulls in place of dead lifts (full range).

i've done it, guys at my gym have used it for RAW meets, and it's the only program my brother actualy likes doing. it's great for raw strength and gaining some mass. i have the template saved to my computer, if you want me to e-mail it to you just pm me.

thanks to Walker, I started today and we will see how it goes.

I am thinking of buying the ebook and following the program. what is everyones thoughts on it? worth it? I had decent luck with DC training. Or should I just stick with a 5x5 type and save myself the extra cash. Anyone with experience with this program want to chime in? I am thinking of doing 3 day split with rack pulls in place of dead lifts (full range).

My suggestion is stay with the 5x5 program based on squatting 3x per week until you reach 1.5 your body weight in squat for 5 reps. It is around that time when I started having issues with CNS recovery. Squatting 3x per week (along with deadlifts, military press, BB rows and bench press) just got to be too much when my working squat weight got to be 285 (I'm 190lbs).

Then I switched to Jim's 5/3/1 and have not looked back. It is an awesome program. I keep getting stronger and have not stalled on the work set progression since starting it 6 months ago.

I recommend 5/3/1 for anyone who has reached their max recovery limit. Don't be afraid if you feel like you're starting too light. That lets you make the most of the last work set where you rep UP TO failure. Starting light enough allows you to keep getting stronger. FIGHT THE URGE TO NOT DELOAD EVERY 4 WEEKS - you'll pay later if you don't.

Try it if you're ready for it - you'll like it!

Last edited:
I love this program, I had really good success with it this year and used to to break all my previous PR's. I started a buddy of mine at work on it with zero previous lifting experience and he has been at it for about six weeks and loving it.
I wouldn't change out the deads though, leave it as is.

Yea, I decided to keep the deads. My 1 rep max this week for deads was 470lbs, not too bad for not doing them in an awful long time. I do love my rack pulls but with training for an upcoming football season (Jan) I think deads would be the best plus it is a great challenge.

amazing program, very fun and you'll get in and out the gym very fast

Curious,

Do you guys cycle while on 5/3/1? If so, how do you time your cycles and what do they look like? I am just wondering about how you would adapt the cycle during the pct time... Also, Would something more long term like HGH be more appropriate for a lifting program like 5/3/1?

I am using his program as well and am enjoying it. i am using the Big but Boring assistance work mod.

I am doing it right now and off cycle and still making good gains. But I am about to cycle and I will do the program on cycle all the way through pct exactly the same.:headbang:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131