YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Worst/Best Dungeon of a Gym You Worked Out in ?

meterman5

Registered
After looking at the Dubai thread made me think of the first real gym I went to.

Had a place where I live called "Dave's Power Palace". It was literally a converted warehouse.

Had tons of free weights.

Probably 4 power racks no waiting.

Buckets of chalk.

Extremely poor lighting.

Every piece of equipment was beat up and the weights looked like someone took a hammer to them all.

All pieces of cardio equipment broke down at least once a week.

Oh yeah and the owner had this fucking stray cat that would walk around the place because it had no air conditioning so he opened a few big bay garage doors.

I am sure I missed it but it probably had a loading dock in it somewhere as well.

It was run by an old guy named Dave. He was this short little power lifter guy.

With the gyms today mostly looking like Globogym from dodgeball I kind of miss that hot stinky place with ripped bench covers and duct tape on them. To bad it was at the beginning of my weightlifting journey and I couldn't fully appreciate it. Then again at that time the big corporate gym in my area was the 24 fitness not like all the same ones we have now.

Extremely poor lighting.

I guess I'm one of the few that likes a dimly (spelling?) lit gym. I've been lucky enough to have been part of decent gyms all my workout life. Only one I can complain about was a gym that had all plastic style weights and mostly machines. Thinking back on it, I can't recall many pieces of equipment that wasn't a machine / cable base.

Overall I've mainly always cared more about the people in the gym. I love when a random stranger walks by while I'm resting and states "you going to rest all day." Currently I'm splitting my time between a 24hr fitness, and a gym at my job (which tends to be empty in terms of people).

Point is I mainly get off on being surrounded by like minded people. As long as I can put together a workout I'm not as worried about the equipment. If a guy walks over to spot you on what he knows will be a heavy set without you asking, you're probably in a great gym. Not saying come grab the damn bar.....please please, no don't do that....but I've had many just walk near my area and monitor me. No large amount of words spoken, a simply thank you at the end of my set, didn't even know them, but I knew what they were doing.

Good times good times. I miss that, as I don't have it now. 24hr fitness is more of a sit on a piece of equipment and talk with your workout partner all day while others are waiting to use it. That's another thing, I miss someone noticing I need a piece of equipment and simply asking "you want to work in," then proceeding to talk ish during the sets like you've been working out together this entire time. I've made some of the best workout partners like that.

Ok I'm done rambling.

My garage. I'm a Canuck and it gets -40F here. I have a timer on the cold days to warm up my garage but usually the plates get frozen together or I use a propane torch to warm up the bar before deads. I'm a competitive powerlifter so all I need is a good squat rack, solid bench, and some barbells. Its nice to just jump out to the garage for a workout. I get my sons involved in the iron. I can listen to anything I want while I workout (provided the boys aren't listing to trash lol). The only thing I miss about public gyms are the pretty women.

Last edited:
lifters club oakridge t.n.
guy left it open 24/7 365 days a year with no one working at night, said no one was dumb enough to steal from him. dumbell section was built up like deadlifting platform so you could drop dumbbells. red neck as shit. saw guy shoot thirty cc bottle of eq(50mg), 15 in each quad, through his jeans in locker room.

Thornbecks - Tempe, AZ

Iron Works - Burlington, VT

I've been to ironworks. Wasn't to shabby but I prefer this little dungeon of a gym in my hometown.

Also extreme fitness in oklahoma is nice.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back in the early 80s in Kansas City MO I trained at a gym that use to be a transmission shop lots of of free weights chalk stands no dress code dang I miss those days

I guess I'm one of the few that likes a dimly (spelling?) lit gym.

I don't mind dim lights but this was a warehouse fluorescent type lighting where about 25% didn't even work or flickered bad. If I were there at night it was depressing.

I do kind of miss that gym and I agree the right crowd and attitude is essential. I try not to let it bother me but it's annoying to watch people deadlift 135 lbs. and slam it as if they just set a new world record. Nothing wrong with deads but please lets be realistic.

Back in the early 80s in Kansas City MO I trained at a gym that use to be a transmission shop lots of of free weights chalk stands no dress code dang I miss those days

Sounds exactly like the place I used to go to. I do miss all the free weights that were there and as I stated the guy had probably 4 power racks and deadlift platforms. The gym I go to now has 1 power rack and that's it.

Nothing wrong with hole in the wall gyms and it's everyone's preference in what they like. I would love a nice gym with a few good amenities like a steam room.

What gym was Pumping Iron filmed in ? I dig that old school look. That place wasn't to fluffy and not to dingy. Was that Golds in Venice ?

I'm pretty sure u are right but it was still world gym, hadn't taken the name golds yet

Best would be a new Planet Fitness....so what!!

Worst is my basement...cold in winter, wet and dank in the spring, but pretty cool and comfy in the summer.

I've got a nice dungeon setup in my basement

Power rack, bench, a little cable machine, bare light bulbs and chalk all over everything :D

ghr, racks, specialty bars, jump stretch platform, mono, comp forza bench, strongman eq, chains/boards, shake bar,etc

I've got a nice dungeon setup in my basement

Power rack, bench, a little cable machine, bare light bulbs and chalk all over everything :D

That's what I do now and its great. No excuse for not making it to the gym when its just down the steps! No waiting and no idiots leaving the plates on the bar or putting the plates away like idiots.

I was visiting a friend in Yonkers, NY. Don't remember the name of the gym but it was a little basement gym on Broadway. Bunch of big ass Puerto Ricans and blasting rap and salsa. It was pretty cool

That's what I do now and its great. No excuse for not making it to the gym when its just down the steps! No waiting and no idiots leaving the plates on the bar or putting the plates away like idiots.

It's the best- open 24/7, 365 days a year
Even if its a blizzard outside, the gym is right downstairs waiting.

Basement steps can suck after squat day though

The best gym....in perhaps the world is the real, original metroflex. Perfect versions of every machine in there pretty much and 250lb dumbbells...and it's not a faggoty health club.

Worst gym?... Well the one time I got drug to a planet fitness they wouldn't let me in, so I've not technically been to one of those. Meh, nothing really stands out as beyond horrible. Except the bullshit that I'm banned from my undergrad school's rec center....that was a whole lot of horseshit.

The best gym....in perhaps the world is the real, original metroflex. Perfect versions of every machine in there pretty much and 250lb dumbbells...and it's not a faggoty health club.

Worst gym?... Well the one time I got drug to a planet fitness they wouldn't let me in, so I've not technically been to one of those. Meh, nothing really stands out as beyond horrible. Except the bullshit that I'm banned from my undergrad school's rec center....that was a whole lot of horseshit.

Before they even opened, I went into a planet fitness dressed" in slacks and collared shirt and they said "this might not be the gym for you "

New Jersey list by Universal

**broken link removed**

Universal's Best Gyms of NJ: 2013 Edition
Here they are, Universal's selection of the top twelve best "bodybuilding" gyms in the state of New Jersey for 2013 (listed in alphabetical order). These are the "Terrific Twelve"...

- Apollon Gym (Edison)
- Atilis Gym (Wildwood)
- Body Worx Hardcore Gym(Paterson)
- Brigantine Fitness (Brigantine)
- Chiseled Health (Plainfield)
- Diamond Gym (Maplewood)
- Diesel Fitness (North Brunswick)
- Dummbbells Health & Fitness (North Bergen)
- Fitness City (Matawan)
- Pearl Street Gym (Long Branch)
- Pure Focus (Brick)
- Strong & Shapely (East Rutherford)

Congrats. These gyms truly represent the best of wut Jersey is all about.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws