advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why do we risk so much to impress complete strangers with our muscles?

desibaba

Banned
Most of us on this forum arent competitive bodybuilders or models. We dont make a penny from this hobby. However we risk our health, freedom and blow tons of money to get bigger, leaner and veinier. When I started as a 15 year old in 1998 it was because all my heroes in the WWF had huge muscles. Now at 30 I look good but I sure as hell wont be winning any bodybuilding contests or making money from this. I have spent a small fortune on drugs and supplements, risked my health and freedom by abusing drugs and I think its safe to say those who love or care for me would do it even if i was a small guy.

I love the feeling of when I walk into a supermarket or a crowded restaurant wearing a tank top and I see people staring at me and lets be realistic most of them are probably thinking I am a juiced up, dumb meathead. Anyone else ever wonder why the fuck do we do it? I tried to stop before. Turn into a fitness type crossfit skinny guy but within a few months I was back to ordering gear again. Ever wonder why do we do it? Are we any different than the nasty looking women who go overboard with plastic surgery and start looking like aliens?

Most of us on this forum arent competitive bodybuilders or models. We dont make a penny from this hobby. However we risk our health, freedom and blow tons of money to get bigger, leaner and veinier. When I started as a 15 year old in 1998 it was because all my heroes in the WWF had huge muscles. Now at 30 I look good but I sure as hell wont be winning any bodybuilding contests or making money from this. I have spent a small fortune on drugs and supplements, risked my health and freedom by abusing drugs and I think its safe to say those who love or care for me would do it even if i was a small guy.

I love the feeling of when I walk into a supermarket or a crowded restaurant wearing a tank top and I see people staring at me and lets be realistic most of them are probably thinking I am a juiced up, dumb meathead. Anyone else ever wonder why the fuck do we do it? I tried to stop before. Turn into a fitness type crossfit skinny guy but within a few months I was back to ordering gear again. Ever wonder why do we do it? Are we any different than the nasty looking women who go overboard with plastic surgery and start looking like aliens?

lol..wow

You wear tank tops at restaurants?

Your question presumes 2 things:
1) Everything we do is dangerous.
2) We do this solely to impress strangers.

If that's true... then consider the many analogous things in life people do... like,

Why does someone spend $100,000 on a fancy sports-car car to impress strangers?

Think how many hours of his life he had to trade in order to afford it, and how little it will be worth in a few years after depreciation.

I'd argue that everything we do for the bodybuilding lifestyle is NOT dangerous or unhealthy. The exercise, sleep, healthy-living habits, and all that stuff are health-promoting. The health-deteriorating aspects are using drugs to excess, carrying an excessive amount of body-weight, being in poor cardiovascular health in relation to your size, and ignoring healthy food choices.

I body build for my own satisfaction, foremost. I have to live in my body and look at myself on a daily basis. I feel physically better when I'm living the lifestyle, and I'm mentally more rexaled and satisified with myself. I think I look better when I'm bigger, tanner, and leaner... and if I start to shrink, get fat, or lose mass here or there, I start to get displeased... in the same way I get upset if my house is starting to look dirty or run-down.

If I did anything soley for the benefit of strangers, I'd wind up very disappointed. (Most other people don't care that much about you.)

The OP has a valid question, just worded strangely.

Why do we partake in a risky, expensive, time-consuming hobby like this?

I doubt many serious bodybuilders do it entirely for the attention from other ppl.

The positive attention from other ppl can surely be motivational, but you have to have some deeper reason to do it. You have to derive some type of personal satisfaction, in some way. Most of the pros talk about this to some extent.

If you want to avoid negative attention from people, it has alot to do with how you carry yourself as a man. Pay attention to your posture, don't walk like a meat-head with fake-lat-syndrone, and don't dress in tank tops and douchebag clothes in public. Speak in full sentences, avoid using the word "bro", etc.

Try not to "broadcast" anything about illegal drugs, or being a meat-head, etc. Wear decent clothes and act like a respectable person. That goes a long way.

The same guy in a bodybuilding-logo'd tank top, flip-flops, gym shorts, and cocked-baseball cap looks very different than the same guy in a nice pair of golf shorts and polo shirt, or something like jeans and a button down shirt... etc.

Last edited:
To be honest I made the above post for a reason. I lost all respect for you when you put up Queen's vid of another one bites the dust in a thread about a bb dying and even in one were he is fighting for his life in hospital. Most of me things why are you even on here if all you do is whine about things and basically act like you think we are all stupid and reckless.

Fact is we all have the freedom to do whatever we want. If your willing to take the risks then fine. If your not then fine too...enjoy life and do whatever makes you happy. But don't come on some BB site preaching and whining. It sounds like you are second guessing the path in life you have took. Don't get me wrong though your thread brings up many great points.

Another thing most of us do this for ourselves. Sure looking good for others is nice but most advanced guys do this as this is a passion and it fulfills them. You seem to just do it to look good for strangers... perhaps that's why you wear tank tops in restaurants. But everyone has reasons for doing things and I would never put down another persons reasons for wanting to transform their bodies.

One thing that does annoy me though is when guys act like if you don't compete or model then your stupid for taking the drugs needed to attain a certain look. So is happiness and feeling good about yourself not as important as competing for a plastic trophy. Obviously the best of the best get paid a lot through sponsorship etc. But the vast majority of competitors make no money and spend a lot to look the way they do. I only have the upmost respect for all competitors and think it is great what they do. But I don't think the fact they pose in front of judges gives them more right to take aas than me.

Just do what makes you happy. Just because you're not happy with certain things that doesn't give you the right to be so disrespectful (Queen video) to guys who found their passion in life (Gustavo Badell).

I try not to wear shit that promotes physique drawing attention. I still show it off, but I wear normal clothes to do so (relatively tight shirt but not with the sleeves that are upper arm length). And no, this shit isnt to impress strangers on the street. wtf? Those people are annoying as hell trying to ask me random shit about working out or saying something silly as I wait to pay for something at the store. I'd rather impress people I know and girls, not total nobodies.

So yea, you're wrong

I wear windpants, tanks, and sleeveless shirts out and about, just like all the fat slobs at the walmart do!!

Look elsewhere if it offends!

I'd like to think most people do it for self, not for others. but maybe I'm naive.

When I die yall can post whatever song you want, cremate me, and sprinkle my ashes in the chalk holder.

Here are a few insights that I've picked up along the way that sum up why I lift and do the things that I do to pursue my own personal goals:

"Bodybuilding is not just about physical training with weights to change how you look. It’s also about mind, spirit and body, together in union so that everything grows, not just your muscles."

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character"

"Lifting is the only time that I'm truly free – free from the bullshit that other people and life has thrown at me. It's all gone, just me and the weight. And that's where I find my peace."

This is why I do what I do.

Last edited:
I like being big and muscular. It's just my thing. I love it when people who dont lift come up to me and say 'ur a big guy' and then start flexing. It's a riot. I love the attention it makes me good about myself. Years ago when I was bouncing Judd Nelson came up to and was making jokes at how big I was. The jokes were in good taste and not insulting in the least. I think it's cool that my muscles helped me pal around w a celeb. I was natty at the time.

I don't risk my health and stay on low doses and am naturally big to begin with. I used to think I did it just to get chicks but now i know I do it for myself.

I stopped doing it to impress people, im married with two kids.....I do it to relieve stress and try to stay in shape. I look back on when I was pretty big and thought I looked bad ass when people probably thought I was a juiced out tool.

The health risks alone are not worth it but for some reason I keep finding my self poking myself with pins filled with gear.

IMO, If you're not lifting for yourself you're doing it wrong.

To be honest I made the above post for a reason. I lost all respect for you when you put up Queen's vid of another one bites the dust in a thread about a bb dying and even in one were he is fighting for his life in hospital.
Most of me things why are you even on here if all you do is whine about things and basically act like you think we are all stupid and reckless.

Yeah he did go to far with that post.

I wear windpants, tanks, and sleeveless shirts out and about, just like all the fat slobs at the walmart do!!

Look elsewhere if it offends!

Zubaz, a short sleeve sweatshirt, a fanny pack, and a Bad Boy logo. Look out, here comes trouble! LOL!

Yeah he did go to far with that post.

I don't want to be negative or dramatize things and we all fuck up at times. But I wonder what sort of person could post that like it's an ok thing to do.

I'm not saying it isn't about that. But, I do think it's more than just impressing the masses. I mostly do it because when I don't, I'm a miserable bastard. Even when I'm at the gym, it's just me, the weights, and a little Pantera. I love the endorphin rush and the pump. It's the best natural anti-depressant available.

For me, it's more of a personal challenge. I do like when others notice my efforts but to me it's more about challenging my body to do things that the typical person can't do. Face it, what we do isn't easy.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear