over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Overtraining Will Kill Your Gains - by Chris Aceto

BigDM

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
By Chris Aceto

Here is a secret in my contest prep. I work with nut jobs. I am serious. A lot of “my” success with bodybuilders is due to the type of company I keep. I seem to attract obsessive compulsive, super-crazy, hard-training individuals who make my job easy.

Although I tend to advise my clients on nutrition and get out of the way when it comes to training, I find myself interjecting very limited, but important, training advice during a contest prep period. Typically, the advice is the pretty mundane.

“Eduardo, you need a rest day!”

“Masoom, do a few less sets than normal over the next two to three training sessions.”

“Derik, train lighter for three days and just have fun in the gym.”

Overtraining can torpedo your contest prep by flattening the muscles and even interfering with fat loss. If you can build self-awareness to the point where you can figure out at what point you become overtrained and, in turn, adapt your training to make sure you sidestep an overtraining trap, then you will see truly great results.

In its most basic sense, overtraining means the body is being put under greater stress than it can handle. It’s that simple. Any additional stress, above and beyond what your own body can handle will result in a failure to recover and grow. So you could be fairly dedicated, training with a routine you believe to be a well thought out approach to getting big – yet fail to move ahead and grow if your body is over trained.

The intangible part of overtraining is that it varies greatly from persotyertertyn to person. I’ll give you an example. When Mike Francois was on top of the bodybuilding world, he frequently performed 20 to 24 sets for back, taking each and every set to failure. Every training partner he partnered with ended up severely overtrained. Not big Mike. He grew like a weed with his back becoming his greatest asset.

Before you assume “Yeah, that’s because Mike was using vitamins x, y and z,” I can tell you he trained clean – drug free for the majority of the year and very often his training partners were not drug free. The result? Mike still grew and his partners always fell by the wayside, failing to grow.

While Mike made good progress, the partners always ended up overtraining. He would go through one partner after another, each unable to keep up with his volume and intensity. Not only does training intensity vary from person to person, but taking drugs usually helps – but is never a solution. It’s fully possible to overtrain while taking anabolic steroids.

Again, the bottom line is any stress induced through training that is greater than your body can handle will result in a complete lack of muscle growth and repair.

One of the myths that perpetuatesovertraining is the silly idea, “There’s no such thing as overtraining, just under eating.” That's not true. Recovery is dependent on total calories, protein, energy intake and essential fat intake as well as rest (time outside of the gym) and your own hormonal status.

It’s really a balancing act. The simple way to test that theory is to send a super well fed local bodybuilder out to live with Ronnie Coleman for two weeks and have Coleman slaughter him in the gym Coleman-style. Chances that he recover would likely be slim to none. The fact is, nutrition can only support the body so far. When exercise stress exceeds your body’s own tolerance for recovery, you go backwards. You don’t grow. Even if you are eating a lot.

When Dorian Yates burst onto the sceuiyone, he followed up on the ideas formulated by Tom Platz and Mike Mentzer years earlier. Dorian’s take on things were in line with theirs which was most bodybuilders fail to grow because they train with too many sets (known as volume) and usually train too frequently – say training every day or not taking enough rest days.

Platz, Mentzer and Dorian were right but many – including Mentzer – just fell into the trap that ‘if more is not better than less – even far less may be radically better. So the pendulum shifted from all kinds of training to – because of the influence of these three – far fewer sets.

Suddenly, bodybuilders were doing 5-6 sets for chest or 8 to 10 sets for back which in my opinion just is not enough to optimally stimulate growth. Building muscle relies on the poundages you use also known as the weight. Pretty simple, if you can perform a set of barbell curls with 150 pounds, you’ll stimulate far more growth than using only 100 pounds.

No matter how you cut it, the weight you use is immensely important in recruiting muscle fibers to cause growth . After the weight comes volume or the total number of sets you perform. Volume influences muscle growth. If you do not perform enough sets, you’ll fail to trigger growth. If you get carried away and do too many, you’ll over train and also fail to grow, so you have to find a balance, a happy medium. Where’s the happy medium? It depends, but here are some guidelines.

1) The More Sets You Perform, the Better

Just as the greater the weight you handle, the better in terms of muscle recruitment, the more sets you do, the greater you’ll work a muscle. The thing you really have to distinguish is where to stop.

To illustrate the point, just ask yourself, is three sets of bicep curls better tyoihan one? Of course, the answer is yes. Is five better than three.Most likely. Is seven better than five? The point where you have to stop or the point where more sets are no longer helping is typically where you lose the ‘feel” or ‘pump’ in the muscle or where your poundages start to drop.

For example, Bodybuilder A can’t do 20 straight sets of standing barbell curls with 120 pounds. After the sixth set, he will no longer be able to use the 120. If he was aiming to do 8 to 10 reps per set, after set number five, six or seven, the weight he can handle will drop off a lot, meaning it’s time to move onto another exercise.

When you reach a point where the poundage starts to fade, that’s it. For some people, like a beginner or intermediate, that might be 2 to 3 sets while for someone like a Seasoned National level Competitior it might be 5 to 6 sets. It’s important to listen to your body and move on when you need to. If you lose a pump, move on. When your poundages drop – you can’t handle the same heavy weight for each continuous set, move on!

2) Speed Of Reps Count

The speed or perceived speed at which you move a weight influences how many sets you can do. Outside of the weight and total number of sets you perform, the speed at which you drive a weight has an influence on growth and can determine your own personal threshold for overtraining within each training session.

Moving a weight fast, with speedip[op[op and aggression, is arguably better for growth than moving a weight with a slow and even speed. That’s because trying to ‘drive a weight’ with the intensity of a bullet coming out of a gun – causes a far greater number of muscle fibers to come into play than simply moving the weight with a slow cadence.

Slow training, in my opinion, is a tool to use in some part of an overall muscle building plan but should never be used as a primary way to build muscle. If you want to grow, you should pick a heavy weight and drive the weight while maintaining good form. Of course when you drive a weight, there's not going to be a lot of momentum created because when you overload the muscle with a heavy weight, the poundage radically cuts down on the creation of momentum.

In overloading a muscle with a heavy weight and driving the weight by pushing it fast rather than super slow, you physiologically create the greatest amount of stress on the muscle as possible. One way to discover whether you are about to do too much is by getting in touch with your ability to drive a weight.

If you go into the gym and there’s no oomph to the muscle – you can’t explode and drive the first few sets of an exercise (after warming up, of course) you are already over trained. Get out of the gym! On the other hand, if there is a lot of snap in the muscle – you can drive those heavy weights and you feel powerful, for sure you are not overtraining and should proceed with the workout.

3) Frequency Counts

Another factor influencing recovery is training frequency. For the most part, I believe you have to train a muscle once every 5 to 8 days. In general, if you train a body part more frequently – say training chest every fourth day, you won’t grow due to overtraining.

On the other hand, if you wait more than 8 days, you’ll also fail to grow. In this case not by overtraining but by failing to trainfrequently enough. You see, the muscles grow by stimulating them, then resting. If you rest too long – waiting too many days before hitting the same muscle group for another workout, the stress on the body appearsto be too great which overwhelms the recovery process leading to a lack of growth.

Let’s put it this way, imagine training legs on Monday and then again on Wednesday. The time in between is too short, so you overtrain. Now try training them for a second time, 10 to12 days after the first workout. What happens? The time between training is so long your legs become immensely sore the second time you train which can also trigger overtraining.

You need balance, not too often and not too infrequently. To avoid overtraining, you’ll need a training stp[ip[iop[rategy that allows you to hit each body part once every 5 to 8 days.

4) Too Many Days In a Row

If mass is the goal, you have to rest. Many bodybuilders won’t be able to train more than two consecutive days – or at least should not train for more than two consecutive days in a row – because training for more than two days usually causes hormonal changes that lead to overtraining. Typically, in an overtraining state, testosterone levels start to drop a little. In addition, you’ll experience a small surge in cortisol levels.

Cortisol is the stress hormone released from the adrenal cortex that sits just atop the kidneys and it increases in secretion is response to stress. In small amounts it actually contributes to anabolism – the building up in muscle tissue. However, when released in larger amounts, especially when testosterone levels drop even mildly, it tends to tear muscle down creating a catabolic scenario.

Conclusion

When it comes to contest prep, I often tell bodybuilders, “We are using the Goldilocks approach. I'm not going to have you on no carbs, but you won’t be eating tons of carbs. With cardio we won’t be prepping for the Boston Marathon but we have to do cardio to burn the fat.”

I realize what I am really trying to nail down is an approach to contest prep that is not overwhelming to the body. When you go to extremes the body sometimes fails to change. The same idea holds true with training. When you push the body too hard, often it fails to respond by not adding muscle in the off season or failing to hold muscle during a contest prep phase.

The art is in figuring out when your body is no longer changing and having the inner fortitude to adapt and cut back on your training to make sure your body continues to improve.

Chris Aceto attended Bob Gruskin's Guru University as a teenager in the Bronx, New York.

Nothing new there, but a good overview and reminder nonetheless.

Nothing new there, but a good overview and reminder nonetheless.

I can always use reminders :D I'll be focusing more on points 2 and 3 during my next few workouts.

Gruskin, there's a name I haven't heard in awhile. I wonder if he experienced the full "Gruskin" treatment as a teen LMAO.

Undereating and undersleeping will kill your gains.

The body becomes it's function. If it's function is extreme volume training it will eventually adapt to it if feed and rested enough.

I don't buy that overtraining BS for one minute.

I'm overthinking right now... hopefully it's not killing my mental capacity :p

fitnesskatz

good post,,,i agree with that overtraining,,more isnt always better,,end of the day you got to be able to push, pull, press, and squat some lbs

I agree with the article. I get better results training eod than everyday.

Interesting read...Like been said already...Nothing new,but it puts it all together and reminds us...And im one that need reminding as i love to train and often get carried away doing to many sets and to many consecutive days....yet i respond better on lower sets but that bodypart hit twice in a week...

I'll think about this when I do my 40 sets of back today.

Don't be a pussy and forget to take each of those sets to failure, too :D

Just hackin on ya Queefer...lol! Damn, how many exercises are a part of those 40 sets?

good read, I believe in overtraining but seem to be in the minority, I suppose the ones that did not believe in overtraining must train every bodypart every day.

There is NO advantage to training 6 days per week instead of 4. In my opinion, it's a disadvantage. I've grown my best on 2 on, 1 off, or 4 days per week. I tried to excessive training and just tired me the hell out all day. Aceto knows his shit and I didn't need to read this article to know overtraining can happen.

Over/under... its more so about SMART training. Proper periodization and knowing your own body and its response. Years of training go hand in hand too you can't just take someone that has been training properly for two years and put them on two a days and not expect disaster. The body adapts and therefore so does your training. I believe in CNS/adrenal fatigue but in the game of enhancement the body can take more abuse so long as its fed the proper nutrients and at the right times. What may be too much for one individual may yield tremendous results in development for another individual. It's all about finding the right amount for yourself.

You guys train the same way during pct/cruise or do you back off a little at that time ?

Over/under... its more so about SMART training. Proper periodization and knowing your own body and its response. Years of training go hand in hand too you can't just take someone that has been training properly for two years and put them on two a days and not expect disaster. The body adapts and therefore so does your training. I believe in CNS/adrenal fatigue but in the game of enhancement the body can take more abuse so long as its fed the proper nutrients and at the right times. What may be too much for one individual may yield tremendous results in development for another individual. It's all about finding the right amount for yourself.

That why Coleman was taking 600mg Humanofort per day.

What I like most about Chris Aceto is he stresses the fundamentals 95% of the time. His book CHAMPIONSHIP BODYBUILDING is one of the best books written on contest prep and 95% of it is the basics.

Over the years I've cut back on my volume.
Right now I typically pick 2-3 exercises and do 2-3 heavy ass sets.
I try to total 6-9 work sets taken to failure.

Today I did one set to failure of nine different exercises for my back to try and hit all angles.

Seems to be working I'm gaining weight.

I think he explained it pretty well.
I have helped a guy that INSISTED on doing 90 min of cardio cuz of the "more is better" mind set. wtf......:banghead:
sounds to me like ACETO is recommending a common sense approach and be real with youself. do what YOU need to do, more is not always better. especially in bb'ing
-JS

Last edited:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear