over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

carb timing... how important is it?

Hulkbulk8

Banned
I will usually eat my carbs evenly spread thru my 6-7 meals.

I tried today carb timing, ate a 1/3 of carbs at breakfast, 1/3 per workout and 1/3 post workout. Will this help minimize fat gain? Will this make any difference?

Thanks

Having the majority of my carbs around workouts has helped me minimize fat gains. I have tried it other wAys and always ended up softer.

My opinion no

I switch my carbs around every day.

Some days I take them all pre and postworkout and other days I spread them throughout the day minus the last meals.

Other days I do fats and proteins with minimal carbs (around 25-50g).

I have no set schedule but the results are there.

I have tried it in the past doing carbs, fats, protein with every meal at the advice of a trainer. It was easier to put on size but getting lean to shredded is better served mixing it up.

Imo all that matters is total macros. I prefer more of my carbs later in day for sleep reasons and cut fat every bit as easy. My first meal is always carbles as I'm stronger with no carbs in system so train without them. I try to start eating my carbs at about 2 or 3 pm then spread them between 6 meals. I find i sleep much better doing this and don't run out of food to early and have to fight hunger all evening. I eat Just as many carbs on non training days to pre load glycogen. I do this purely because it suits me and I stick to it a lot easier no other reason. I've toyed with eating all my carbs pre bed, up to 500g one hit and if anything got slightly leaner on same macros. Shelby uses steady state a lot and his guys get fucking shredded.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

John Meadows said in one of his posts that "insulin sensitivity is king". And I took that to heart, if I spread carbs out during all meals I get fat if I am not careful but if I do them only pre/intra/post I can slam a shit load and still not get fat. And when your already lean the pump looks crazy in the gym, the glucose swells the muscles pushing the veins to the surface increasing vascularity. It will make a 180 pound dude look 200. You have to be lean first though.

timing absolutely matters as well as which carb souces you utilize due to digestion/absorption speeds. Carbs are essentially fuel and nothing else really. I mean yes we use them for volumization and water recompartmentalizing etc...but relating to your subject.... fuel. This means you are either refilling glycogen to be used later or refilling glycogen for immediate use. Best time to replenish is either when depleted or when blood flow to muscles is enhanced (lifting). Obviously we alwaya want increased blood flow to insure it loading, which is why u never sit and carb for a show (keep posing posing posing)

As Meadows has stated, only taking them when needed will leave you far more sensitive and also able to handle more for your purpose while not worrying about fat gain. This also means your insulin sensitivity also relates to aminos being utilized, which is obv great for building muscle.

Honestly i kept my intra shake (40/50) in along with my post (40/75) all the way to 1wk from Nationals. Never once hindered fat loss, but it did insure i GREW and GAINED weight until 3 out and stayed full and round. As long as you remain sensitive and your body utilizes the carbs it can only have a positive outcome.

John Meadows said in one of his posts that "insulin sensitivity is king". And I took that to heart, if I spread carbs out during all meals I get fat if I am not careful but if I do them only pre/intra/post I can slam a shit load and still not get fat. And when your already lean the pump looks crazy in the gym, the glucose swells the muscles pushing the veins to the surface increasing vascularity. It will make a 180 pound dude look 200. You have to be lean first though.

i agree with that... im eating about 50% of my daily carbs post workout, plus another 25% or so in my pre workout meal. i always incorporate 1 low carb/no carb meal a day, off days sometimes 2. its usually quark/cottage cheese with coconut milk and some whey pre bed.

imo carb timing is one of the most underrated tactics in bodybuilding...

i'd suggest you to read "carb backloading" by john kiefer, its a VERY interesting book and ive had GREAT success with his approach... i could slam like 300g simple carbs all at once post workout while cutting bodyfat faster than ever before (and this was back during natty times when keto diets usually gave me the best results)

If I spread my carbs out through out the day I get soft quick and can't do much more than 100gr a day. Pre/intra/post I can take in 300gr a day.

If I spread my carbs out through out the day I get soft quick and can't do much more than 100gr a day. Pre/intra/post I can take in 300gr a day.

Interesting. I think a lot of it had to do with a person's natural insulin sensitivity. Mine is naturally good anyway and if I stay lean its through the roof. Probably why I don't notice any real difference with timing. I seem to be able to pound carbs with impunity day in day out when lean. Fats not so much.

Is this carb timing the same for women? You guys' diets are totally different than I would eat so I'm just curious if timing is different as well.

I have just started eating all my carbs with Breakfast, pre & Post work out

should i be eating them pre, intra and post workout??

how long before you think i will see a difference

i still eat veggies throughout the day

My diet is very low in carbs aside from surrounding my training. I can use 80-120g intraWO and 100-200g post workout with great success. I've always struggled with fat gain and blood sugar issues. This method keeps me super lean AND I recover faster (a LOT faster) with all the bells and whistles in my intraWO cocktail. Wish I had done this years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaining/loosing fat is a long term process (24 hours) than a short term. Don't think your doing yourself a favor with this specific timing, eat carbs when you want.

I personally like to eat a greater amount pre workout and sometimes sip on a sugary drink during training. I believe this benefits my performance.

Gaining/loosing fat is a long term process (24 hours) than a short term. Don't think your doing yourself a favor with this specific timing, eat carbs when you want.

I personally like to eat a greater amount pre workout and sometimes sip on a sugary drink during training. I believe this benefits my performance.

you can easily influence what your body uses as fuel by messing with macronutrients and so on.

do you think just because you ate 500g carbs one day your body is not going to burn fat the next morning? :banghead:

guess why alternate day fasting is an awesome method regarding fat loss and is scientifically proven to be effective? its because gaining/losing fat is NOT a long term process, your body switches fuel sources multiple times a day depending on what, how much and how often you eat.

There is no right or wrong answer imo. Everyone's body responds differently and the only way you'll know is if you try it. Having most of my carbs around my workout works well for me so I do it, but my training partner noticed no difference in fat loss. Weird.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I think a lot of it had to do with a person's natural insulin sensitivity. Mine is naturally good anyway and if I stay lean its through the roof. Probably why I don't notice any real difference with timing. I seem to be able to pound carbs with impunity day in day out when lean. Fats not so much.

Im the opposite I can eat a lot of fatty foods and do well most the day, only 30min into strenuous activities or when time to sleep do I feel the lack of carbs.

timing absolutely matters as well as which carb souces you utilize due to digestion/absorption speeds. Carbs are essentially fuel and nothing else really. I mean yes we use them for volumization and water recompartmentalizing etc...but relating to your subject.... fuel. This means you are either refilling glycogen to be used later or refilling glycogen for immediate use. Best time to replenish is either when depleted or when blood flow to muscles is enhanced (lifting). Obviously we alwaya want increased blood flow to insure it loading, which is why u never sit and carb for a show (keep posing posing posing)

As Meadows has stated, only taking them when needed will leave you far more sensitive and also able to handle more for your purpose while not worrying about fat gain. This also means your insulin sensitivity also relates to aminos being utilized, which is obv great for building muscle.

Honestly i kept my intra shake (40/50) in along with my post (40/75) all the way to 1wk from Nationals. Never once hindered fat loss, but it did insure i GREW and GAINED weight until 3 out and stayed full and round. As long as you remain sensitive and your body utilizes the carbs it can only have a positive outcome.

Thank you for the great post, very informative. Have had this subject on my mind as of late. Glad i stumbled in this thread.

So would you eat carbs first thing in the morning or just pre and post workout?
Also would a whole wheat bagel be good for pre workout and a plain white bagel for post workout?

I love begels

Thanks for your help

Sometimes I almost think you are trolling when you make posts like above.

I'd say carbs and timing are pretty fucking important! And following John Meadow's pre workout philosophy, I would use an easily digestible carb that is simple/white and add a fat source to it so it will slow the insulin spike/crash.

That's why he has cream of rice with a tbsp of nut butter and a protein shake.

Eating a whole wheat bagel pre workout is not going to transfer to energy in time.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws