over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

bodybuilding/weightlifting shoes

wannagetbig

Newbies
Hi There

Is it worth getting a pair of weightlifting shoes (i.e. Nike romaleos) for lifting? What do people here squat/deadlift in?

I am a bodybuilder, and have been squatting in the old flat sole dunlop volleys but i dont have much ankle flexibility and get lower back pumps when i try to hit depth.

can you only use weightlifting shoes for squats? can you use them for leg press, hacks, lunges?

Price isnt an issue, i am more concerned about performance (i.e. increasing my numbers) and of course safety?

Thanks in advance

i bought addidas ones for about 100 bucks dont remember what the name of them were. needless to say not worth the money, they were like bowling shoes lol and wore them once. not made for cardio either so dont plan on walking on the treadmill with them.

I often dead and squat barefoot(w/socks on). This way I am not fighting the soles of my shoes.

i have adidas adipower. i love them. as mentioned they are only good for lifting. i wouldnt use for dead lift as they increase heel height which in turn increases your distance of travel in the dl. its negligible but...
i wear them for all of my olympic lifting.
you cant run in them. hell, walking in them sucks.

I would squat in just my regular Nike runners; after awhile I was not making any progress in my squat form and I really wanted to nail it down, something I looked forward to on leg day.

I shopped around considering the Romaleos and the Adidas Adipower and the cheaper Adidas alternative and finally settled on the Innov8 Fastlift 335. It is a very lightweight shoe, weighing 335g if I remember correctly, that is geared towards the Crossfit crowd; as you know where a lot of olympic lifting is performed. This is a very capable squat or deadlift shoe. Having a proper pair of shoes has made a big difference in my squat form however there is still work to be done, just another piece of the puzzle. These are great for hack squats and leg press too.

Attachments

• fast-lift-335-2-h1_1.jpg
    fast-lift-335-2-h1_1.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 1,086
ive always wore the cheapest pair of adidas wrestling shoes for leg day... I think they cost $45 at sports authority/dicks...... super flat bottom... work perfect... use to have chucks, but the wrestling shoes look better lol...

see I don't like the shoe above bc the heel is above rubber cusions n shit... I like to have the least material possible... barefoot is preferable, but its the closest thing for me...

Last edited:
ive always wore the cheapest pair of adidas wrestling shoes for leg day... I think they cost $45 at sports authority/dicks...... super flat bottom... work perfect... use to have chucks, but the wrestling shoes look better lol...

see I don't like the shoe above bc the heel is above rubber cusions n shit... I like to have the least material possible... barefoot is preferable, but its the closest thing for me...

You Need Olympic Weightlifting Shoes

Chuck Taylor's, wrestling shoes, Olympic lifting shoes, Vibrams... there are a plethora of shoes to choose from for your feet. Your training could very well depend upon which you choose, as certain kinds are better for different lifts. Yes, even your footwear could make or break your training session.

Recently, Brandon made a post on Facebook that said something to the effect of, if you don't own Olympic lifting shoes, put a 5 pound plate under your heels. While I agree with that, and it's a fine idea until you do purchase shoes, it's not the end all be all of your issues. As I'm sure he didn't intend it to be, either.

You see, the issue with Chuck's, wrestling shoes, Vibrams, or even those New Balance Minimus shoes that I have is that they don't support your foot throughout the duration of the lift. Olympic lifting shoes allow you to do a few things that regular shoes will not, such as:

• Spreading the floor

◦ Olympic lifting shoes possess straps, which allow you to push out against the side of the shoe with your foot, increasing hip activation. More hip activation will equate to a stronger pull or squat.

• More stability

◦ More stability means that you'll have a very consistent platform from which to push. Not at all inconsistent, unlike that from compressible soled shoes.

◦ Olympic shoes have a wooden sole (they have rubber on the bottom so you won't slide), which means your foot is going to consistently be on a stable surface, unlike Chuck's which have compressible soles. Inevitably people try to come up with the argument, “Well Vibrams don't compress...” While this may be true, they don't have a...
• Heel

◦ Olympic shoes typically have at minimum .5” to a 1” heel, which allows you to utilize every aspect of your musculature for the lift you're going for. The Soviets realized that a heel would allow the lifter to squat into a deeper position due to the increased range of motion for the ankle joint, and so the design of the modern lifting shoe was created.

Notice the ankles rolling in without shoes

◦ Besides allowing lifter to squat into a deeper position, the raised heel also allows the lifter’s chest to stay upright, even in the bottom of a deep squat with the bar held overhead or racked across the deltoids (Snatch and Clean & jerk)
▪ A side note about the heel: This doesn't permit you to slack on mobility of the ankle and hip structures, just because the shoe masks the issue. You should be able to squat with no artificial support. If you can't, get to work.

Because of the weightlifting shoe not having any “give” to it, you can always rely on a very stable platform to push from, whereas other shoes will have some give. Vibrams may not, but they also don't have the support or heel that weightlifting shoes have. Aside from the “I'm cool, I wear Vibrams in the gym,” factor, they're basically a pretty worthless shoe to use unless outside. If you are a wearer of these shoes, and have never tried weightlifting shoes, you need not look much further than the three illustrated points above to see why you should try them.

As a caveat to my point (what good is an article without some objectivity?) I don't have any problem with people who deadlift without weightlifting shoes, as I'm one of them. However, some people may benefit from this simple change. The easiest way to do so is by trying it. I'm a long limbed lifter (no jokes, please), and find that a flat soled shoe is the better way for me to pull, as when I'm wearing weightlifting shoes I'm actually shot a bit further in front of the bar than I'd like to be. Though, when it comes to squatting, I'm ALWAYS in my Olympic weightlifting shoes. Always.
If you're serious about training, and I'm sure you are, VS Athletics makes a pretty cheap pair of shoes that are of decent quality. I've had mine going on three years now and bought them around $70. I strongly suggest you get rid of the plates under your heels, get out of your crap shoes, and slip into something a bit more stable. Come to the Force and leave the Dark Side behind for good.

Sources:
Charniga, Andrew. "Why Weightlifting Shoes?" Why Weightlifting Shoes? Eleiko, 2006. Web. 29 July 2012. <http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/farticles015.html>.

Kilgore, Lon. "Weightlifting Shoes 101." Weightlifting Shoes 101. ExRx, n.d. Web. 29 July 2012. <http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Weightlifting/WeightliftingShoes.html>.

Chucks when i would compete in powerlifting meets but now for the last 8-10 years i found going more volume and the bar higher up on my traps i found them rough to wear.
Tried a lot but with me the High-Tec boot caused me no pain.

i personally like to lift in new balance minimus mx20

Attachments

• minimus.jpg
    minimus.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 633
I use Adidas Olympic-style weightlifting shoes for squatting, and wrestling shoes with ultra-thin soles for deadlifting.

I go between weightlifting shoes and adidas adipure trainer shoes. Weightlifting shoes are great for squats but I prefer the adidas for deadlifts, leg press, calf raises etc.

I use a local store down here that sells these:

**broken link removed**

You feel like your food is concreted(word?) into the ground.

But I still wear these on most other days:

HH2Lc3w.jpg

Thanks for the replies

A local shop has both the innov8 fastlifts and the Nike romaleos 2 on sale?

Between the two - which should I get?

I'm thinking the fastlifts - as the. I can use them for lunges, leg press, hacks - although prob not a stable as the romaleos?

Can u use oly shoes for such other exercises instead of just the pure Olympic lifts? I've never had a lifting shoe before - and I want to ensure that can use the shoes other than just squats

If you are not squatting 500 plus raw...I don't think they are remotely necessary
. I see so many guys that struggle to squat 225 to depth that worry about addidas vs Nike Olympic shoes but spend little to know energy on their form or intensity. About as important as wearing fancy basketball shoes to play hoops. Wouldn't recommend playing ball in tennis shoes but one fancy overpriced hoop shoe over another isn't going to make much of a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 2

I switched to using the adidas about 2 years and I love them. I still only use them when I squat,deadlift, or lunge but I won't go back to a soft sole or flat shoe.

The slight heel elevation makes a world of difference when squatting and even when doing deficit deadlifts. Still not a mandatory piece of equipment but they have their place if you can afford to shell out 100-200 bucks. The hard soles also tend to last an extremely long time, especially considering the only reason you should ever wear them is lifting! They are ugly and uncomfortable for anything else!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws