over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Sciatica is kicking my a**

james caan

Registered
Ive been suffering from lower back pain off and on since i was a teen, but for a long while now i had been ok. About 2 weeks ago, my sciatica started acting up again, and has been getting worse, and worse. I saw my Doc. i was given a script for flexiril, which has done absolutely nothing to help. I called my Doc. office to set up a new appointment, because this pain has gone from mainly the lower back/buttock area, to now all the way to my foot...but all my the Doc. said i could do is "walk it off". For any of you that have, or are currently dealing with this...what has worked the best for you? Has it been meds, certain forms of stretching, massage therapy, or was surgery your only salvation? Any help/suggestion would be immensely appreciated, and welcomed. I haven't been able to sleep more than a few hours in days, and even brief walks become too painful to continue.

I feel your pain...just cleared mine up....find a good therapist...and daily do deep long stretches on your bad side....Glute , hamstring and hip ...its all about loosening up the muscle and getting blood to it....its squeezing that nerve and causing the pain....if that don't work it might be a back problem .....good luck!

I've been dealing with this shit for 20 years. When mine acts up it goes from the left side of my back down to my left foot. It killed me for YEARS. About 2 years ago I started doing inversion. I bought tgose gravity boots from Teeter. I hang upside down about 3 times a week for about 5 or 10 minutes each time. It took some time to work up to those times because its aquard at first. But it gets easier. Now my back doesn't hurt as often or no where near as bad. I swear by this bro. Of all the things I have done over the years, and trust me theres been a bunch. This has given me the most relief. BY FAR. !! Hope this helps.

I feel your pain...just cleared mine up....find a good therapist...and daily do deep long stretches on your bad side....Glute , hamstring and hip ...its all about loosening up the muscle and getting blood to it....its squeezing that nerve and causing the pain....if that don't work it might be a back problem .....good luck!

This is what helped me. I also did a lot of foam rolling.

Sent from my iPhone, slacking at work, using Tapatalk

Prednisone which is a steroid is the only med I have found to work for this. When mine flares up I take it for 2-3 days and the pain is gone. I also go to a chiropractor once a month to keep my spine aligned.

I used to go to a chiropractor for my back also. I ALWAYS came out hurting more than when I walked in. The injury I have can't be fixxed or relieved by a chiropractor. Herniated discs.

Inversion, Foam rolling, and find a good Chinese Massage Therapist that knows how to stretch you, knows the nervous system, and how to realign you by massaging the muscle to relive pressure off the spine.

25 years dealing with it and the above advice seems to be your best bet.

I think I may be starting to suffer from this, my left leg is eternally sore, especially after legs, it takes my left leg an extra 2-3 days to stop being sore.
Also the left leg feels 'inhibited' like it doesnt want to work the same and is weaker. The side by my IT band is painful to push on.
I have been having these symptoms for about 2 years, but it has worsened gradually, and to the point where I was waking up in the middle of the night with my leg throbbing even if I hadnt done legs.
Now it seems that its worked up into my hip.

Im looking to see a chiro this week, but this thread is shedding some light on the situation.
Wondering if these are precursing symptoms, I dont have a high degree of pain, but its gradually getting a bit more painful month by month.

I see this issue daily in my line of work. I've been a medical massage therapist for over 12 years now. Sciatica isn't something a person should think will just go away. The pain can lessen but that's only because the body is overcompensating for the injured area. Over time the compensation can cause structural alignment issues or the issue it's self can be an alignment issue.

First you need to be assessed and see what's really causing the piriformis to tighten up. It could be your erectors, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus, hamstrings, IT-Band, or the Psoas. It could be anyone of those areas or a combination of them.

So in my experience a good massage therapist that does site specific work is a valuable asset. Having a good chiropractor to keep you aligned and a therapist to keep those areas loose is a must. The Synergy of both has helped me personally and hundreds of my clients.

Also if you can't afford to do this, foam rolling does help and get yourself a lacrosse ball. These two are a must for self care and preventing injury.

G

I'm in the same boat. I was hit by a car a couple months ago. My back and left leg hurt so bad I can hardly do anything. Dr says they can't see anything in the MRI so they can't do anything. It's the most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with.

I want to thank all you guys for all the suggestions, sharing of your own personal struggle with this, etc. I actually saw my dr. today, and they must of noticed how much pain i was in, as they immediately said "im giving you two injections". The injections burned like hells flames, and made me feel 5 times worse for hours, but now im feeling some pretty good relief. For now they want me to stay on the Flexeril, and they added 800mg ibuprofen T.I.D. Im going to find a qualified massage therapist, as the dr. said this would provide some help. I havent had an MRI yet, but they were pretty certain it's lumbar related (bulging disc, bone spur, etc), but right now that's just speculation, but since ive had lower back issues since i was younger, its a pretty safe one. I'll know more when more tests are done...right now im just looking forward to getting some sleep!

Inversion table and couple cortisone injection should work! I have it all the time do to herniated disc and some other narrowing in that area. Inversion table 2 x day 15min am and 15pm and some cortisone, along with some stabilization exercises help me cope until i decide if i get surgery again!

Inversion table and couple cortisone injection should work! I have it all the time do to herniated disc and some other narrowing in that area. Inversion table 2 x day 15min am and 15pm and some cortisone, along with some stabilization exercises help me cope until i decide if i get surgery again!

any particular one you would recommend? i was looking at one of those teeters, but i know nothing about inversion tables, i have no idea which is good/bad.

I have been a Physical Therapist for 20 years. Doctors that dont know shit give leg pain the term sciatica. Very misleading. The sciatic nerve is a small nerve that actually comes out of a small muscle in your butt called the piriformis. If that nerve becomes entrapped you can get piriformis syndrome. Ive seen it happen with a friend who played pro football. Piriformis syndrome can be helped with stretching of that muscle. In my friends case, he had to get a surgical release of the muscle.
Most radiating leg pain is pain that comes from bulging discs in the lumbar spine. The disc bulge backwards and pinch a nerve. The only thing that will truly help this is paying attention to bodymechanics and studying ergononics for safe body position when sitting, standing, lifting and every day life activities.

Chiropractors are essentially full of shit when it comes to this issue. The treatment addresses the symptoms and yes people feel better for a few days and then...wow..time to go back to the appointment. There is no miracle pill or treatment. Body mechanics and body position.

any particular one you would recommend? i was looking at one of those teeters, but i know nothing about inversion tables, i have no idea which is good/bad.

We have a teeter. My wife uses that. I have the boots. I like those better because I can hang completely vertical. The only thing is that you have to have a very safe place to hang. If not it could be pretty dangerous.

I was reminded of this clip: Kane has chronic sciatica.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2-zIOg9c0"]Kane Sumabat - SHRED TILL DEAD - SimplyShreddedTV - YouTube[/ame]

I have been a Physical Therapist for 20 years. Doctors that dont know shit give leg pain the term sciatica. Very misleading. The sciatic nerve is a small nerve that actually comes out of a small muscle in your butt called the piriformis. If that nerve becomes entrapped you can get piriformis syndrome. Ive seen it happen with a friend who played pro football. Piriformis syndrome can be helped with stretching of that muscle. In my friends case, he had to get a surgical release of the muscle.
Most radiating leg pain is pain that comes from bulging discs in the lumbar spine. The disc bulge backwards and pinch a nerve. The only thing that will truly help this is paying attention to bodymechanics and studying ergononics for safe body position when sitting, standing, lifting and every day life activities.

Chiropractors are essentially full of shit when it comes to this issue. The treatment addresses the symptoms and yes people feel better for a few days and then...wow..time to go back to the appointment. There is no miracle pill or treatment. Body mechanics and body position.
that's why he needs an eval. I thought mine was some pirifirmis syndrome but wasnt. Some chiro ate good. The ones that do actual spinal remodeling Petibond. I can't tell how many 80% suck. But recently that's Bern my experience with PT too. All these new younger generation PTs just give cookie cutter exercises. There have been a few that I went too who have been great most I thouhght sucked. I was so dissapointednin my Tx recently I drove to MA to Cressey performance for an evaluation. They did a more thorough eval than any PT I seen which haw been about 6 in last 3_4 years. I have a teeter hang up they prob make best quality inversion table. I bought mine used on craglist like new for $120 reg $350.

Last edited:

Exactly...listen to everything this man just said....This is what I had, piriformis syndrome...I first went to a chiro and they took x-rays and said you just need alignments in your lower back....they tried to set up 12 visits at $2700...LOL...I said I'll get back to you....I went to a friends therapist and when he touched my glutes and hamstrings he started laughing he said "oh my god, you are extremely tight, your locked up, no wonder your in pain"...he worked the shit out of my hamstrings, glutes and hip area told me some stretches to do and advised using the lacrosse ball and foam roller when needed....completely gone!!!....

true story about my friend who used to play for the Denver broncos. after practice literally could not walk. severe pain with huge motor and sensory loss in one leg. Broncos surgeon wanted to do massive lumbar/thoracic surgery. Went to another doctor who diagnosed him with piriformis syndrome. Broncos refused to pay for piriformis surgery. he paid out of pocket. walked out of surgery room never a problem again. his thing was extreme..though.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear