over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

name all known lifts that are known for causing injury or injuried you and why

mitochondria

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
After this pec rupture on the bench I want to avoid all lifts known as being injury prone. I dont care about making sure I do certian lifts to hit all the muscles right I want to make sure I dont ever end up in a surgery room again for lifting some dam weights.

Its known that bench and behind the neck presses or pulls are injury prone. I also read wide grip pulldowns, and military presses. Obviously snatches, and clean and jerks. I member hearing a pro saying that straight arm shoulder flies will cause tendonitis quicker than u know it. leg extensions are bad on the knees.

So I want to know what all I am missing or if any specific lifts you have done and got injured and if there was a reason for it. Or if you disagree with any of the known injury prone lifts and why you disagree.

You can injure yourself with any exercise. If you leave yourself susceptible you can get hurt no matter what exercise. Everyone degenerates as well but differently. There are reasons for injuries and some can be prevented like preventing your car from breaking down. If your car broke down there is a reason and it can be fix or if found prevented much like the body and an injury.

When you look at exercises that have a bad wrap its because most people have similar biomechanical issues, tight rotator cuff and shoulder for example. And therefore the bench press gets a bad wrap. However the bench was just an overload for the weakest link in the shoulders mechanism. I look at it as if the shoulder were stretched in proper range of motion regularly and the weight of course lowered on bench than the bench press can be safely done forever. Same with shoulder press and squats. There needs to be equal time put in stretching and joint stability work as there is stressing the joint.

Last edited:
Squats that are to heavy or without proper warm ups as well as form.
Cheat curls i don't know how many guys i know swing so hard it can't be considered a exercise for the biceps . As china boy said any exercise can injure you especially not using proper form and warmups..........

Upright row causes massive shoulder impingement and before I switched to wide grip, it hurt a bit. Not much of a problem after adjusting.

I see it all the time but people who rotate their shoulders in shrugs are asking for problems. Takes away from the trap contraction and is hell on your rotators. Always makes me chuckle seeing people without a clue doing these.

Barbell shoulder press is something I used to really try to go heavy on but since then have backed off. If I wanna go heavier, I use a smith. It is very hard to not use your chest by leaning back a bit (short benches on most racks) which always causes me strains in my neck or back. I just stick to db's now mainly if I feel like pressing on shoulder day.

A really good T-Nation article: T NATION | Five Exercises You Should Stop Doing... Forever!

The last time I injured myself while training was when I was doing heavy squats and wasn't warmed up enough. These days I spend more time warming up and usually do a few sets of leg curls before hitting the platform.

Deadlifts= herniated disc which later ruptured

Military overhead press= torn rotator cuff/ partial torn labrum

I look back on both my back injury was probably from bad form and lack of stretching and my shoulder from going to heavy, over use and not varying exercises

How about nearly everything tied to crossfit... well not everything, but all those weird pull up variations where you swing and what not and the whole focus on doing things for speed with no regard for proper execution. I am not saying you need proper form all the time, because experienced trainees often find ways of execution that provides maximal stimulation but is not perfect form, yet it is still not haphazard...

Behind the neck presses can be dangerous, but can also be a great tool if done properly with the right load and one does not have pre-existing shoulder issues.

Stiff legged deads can pose an issue if one is careless on their form an is not warmed up.

Underhand BB rows...if one is not warmed up and is too careless on the eccentric there is risk of pulling a bicep

Sadly just about every lift :(

It's okay to have some trepidation about doing anything after an injury. I'd suggest you approach major compound lifts with lighter weight and more tension by staying mid rep, until you get your confidence up.

It's a tough one bro, best of luck

Deadlifts = 2 herniated disc in lower back....fun stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deadlifts- My fault, I lost form looking to the side and ruptured a disc
Mixed Grip Deadlifts- Began tearing my bicep on the underhand grip (rotate them!)
Sprints- HIIT sprints for fat loss, started experiencing hip tears along with leg day. It was too intensive on the body. I go with stair stepper or eliptical now.

Straight bar bicep curls was what put me on the cutting block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not training smart can get you injured doing any exercise, this also includes being careless doing normal activities. The key to staying injury free is to lift smart, within you strength range and with proper form. Again doing all these things "correctly" you potentially can get injured, but the chance is less. We are more prone to injury as we get older

Last edited:
Dehydration is #1 for me. Maybe because I'm "seasoned" but every injury I can relate I had was on a day where maybe was tired, woke up late, not enough water, to much caffeine (coffee, diet soda, energy drinks etc) and just not well hydrated. Talking pec strains with warming up with weights I can do 10-12 times, lat pulls, quad pulls etc. None of these were maximal or low rep range lifts 4-6. Also if you spot inject areas, sometimes swelling can cause pressure in the area and make it more susceptible as well.

Dehydration is #1 for me. Maybe because I'm "seasoned" but every injury I can relate I had was on a day where maybe was tired, woke up late, not enough water, to much caffeine (coffee, diet soda, energy drinks etc) and just not well hydrated. Talking pec strains with warming up with weights I can do 10-12 times, lat pulls, quad pulls etc. None of these were maximal or low rep range lifts 4-6. Also if you spot inject areas, sometimes swelling can cause pressure in the area and make it more susceptible as well.

Totally agree on the hydration thing. Ib won't train until I'm pissing and pissing clear. I like to train within an hour of waking up so it does require some power drinking sometimes lol

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Deadlifts= herniated disc which later ruptured

Military overhead press= torn rotator cuff/ partial torn labrum

I look back on both my back injury was probably from bad form and lack of stretching and my shoulder from going to heavy, over use and not varying exercises

I have similar issues, and as you it came from bad form. Also my ego getting in the way. My shoulders are a strong point but my right shoulder has do much crepitus in it these days I'm waiting for it to go.

Free squats = blown out knee.

I was young, stupid, not warmed up at all. Being a "bad ass" had me laying on the floor screaming like a bitch.

Over the years, I've learned my ego needs to be smaller than the weights I lift.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131