over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dr. Serrano discusses health with Evan

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYRbGy9IW70#t=248"]Serrano Says - Dr. Serrano talks to Evan Centopani about health - YouTube[/ame]

BTW guys, John's new website has launched and if you're not already a member...you really should be.

Cool video, but now I am confused. In the vid, Dr. Serrano says glucophage increases mortality, but I just looked at 5 different studies, all of which say Glucophage either decreases all-cause mortality and/or heart attack risk, or has a neurtal effect. I couldn't find a single study which attributed increased mortality/heart attack to glucophage use.

Now, according to multiple studies, many other diabetic drugs do indeed increase mortality, particularly the sulfonylureas (a specific class of blood sugar regulators). In nearly all of these, glucophage was evaluated along side them. Like in the previous studies, glucophage either decreased the risk of all-cause mortality and heart attack or had a neutral effect.

Cool video, but now I am confused. In the vid, Dr. Serrano says glucophage increases mortality, but I just looked at 5 different studies, all of which say Glucophage either decreases all-cause mortality and/or heart attack risk, or has a neurtal effect. I couldn't find a single study which attributed increased mortality/heart attack to glucophage use.

Now, according to multiple studies, many other diabetic drugs do indeed increase mortality, particularly the sulfonylureas (a specific class of blood sugar regulators). In nearly all of these, glucophage was evaluated along side them. Like in the previous studies, glucophage either decreased the risk of all-cause mortality and heart attack or had a neutral effect.

I could have sworn he said all oral drugs except glucophage increase mortality. ..not sure though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I could have sworn he said all oral drugs except glucophage increase mortality. ..not sure though.

I was having a hard time making out everything he said, but I re-listended to that portion of the video about 10X so i could understand him. Even after all that, i still couldn't make out his Englich very clearly., but when either Evan or john was asking him if it increased mortality, he ponted his thumb upward...at least i think that is what happened. LOL.

Anyway, if he did say it increaes mortality, I wonder where he is getting his information from. I searched for a while and couln't find a single study which upheld this belief, although there are many, mamny studies on glucophage out there.

You are right. I listended to it again and he said every one BUT glucophage increases mortality. Ok, now I feel better, because I have often used and recommended glucophage for increasing insulin sensitivity.

He said.....

Every drug BUT glucophage increases mortality.

So explain to someone who feels their knowledge is inferior in this area (insulin and insulin control drugs) and tell me the downsides to a normal individual using Glucophage or metformin and why we don't all use it for general health?

You are right. I listended to it again and he said every one BUT glucophage increases mortality. Ok, now I feel better, because I have often used and recommended glucophage for increasing insulin sensitivity.

Was gonna say the same thing. Glucophage is an amazing product. Other than GI upset the mechanisms it works through and the variety of things it helps with is immense

So explain to someone who feels their knowledge is inferior in this area (insulin and insulin control drugs) and tell me the downsides to a normal individual using Glucophage or metformin and why we don't all use it for general health?

We should

Overall, glucophage is a safe and well tolerated drug. However, it is not perfect and does possess some side effects/potential side effects which can be detrimental to both muscle growth and health.

Glucophage can potentially cause lactic acidosis in dehydrated individuals or those with kidney issues. It can also be injurious to the kidneys themselves when administered in a dehydrated state. In hydrated individuals with proper kidney function, this is a non-issue.

It will also decrease testosterone production; potentially quite significantly. Obviously, this is not a concern in drug users, but would be detrimental to natural/off-cycle BB'rs. Therefore, natural lifters should not use the drug, although there would be little reason for them to do so anyway (outside of those with diabetes). This is the same reason glucophage is often prescribed to women suffering hair loss. In women who are androgen sensitive, even normal amounts of DHT (for a woman) can initiate hair loss. Glucophage will knock T production down to almost nothing, which means reduced DHT conversion.

Last edited:
Overall, glucophage is a safe and well tolerated drug. However, it is not perfect and does possess some side effects/potential side effects which can be detrimental to both muscle growth and health.

Glucophage can potentially cause lactic acidosis in dehydrated individuals or those with kidney issues. It can also be injurious to the kidneys themselves when administered in a dehydrated state. In hydrated individuals with proper kidney function, this is a non-issue.

It will also decrease testosterone production; potentially quite significantly. Obviously, this is not a concern in drug users, but would be detrimental to natural/off-cycle BB'rs. Therefore, natural lifters should not use the drug, although there would be little reason for them to do so anyway (outside of those with diabetes). This is the same reason glucophage is often prescribed to women suffering hair loss. In women who are androgen sensitive, even normal amounts of DHT (for a woman) can initiate hair loss. Glucophage will knock T production down to almost nothing, which means reduced DHT conversion.

Mike,

This is all good info which I was not aware of. My glucose levels are at 95, and I am on TRT. My test levels are within normal range now.

I am trying to bring glucose levels down, but I would not want my test levels to go lower than they are. So, from your post I deduct, taking glucophage would not be beneficial for me as it will bring my test levels too low? How about a small dose of it like 250mg a day? Would this be more detrimental than beneficial too?

Do you have any advice as to how to bring glucose levels down? I am taking R-ALA, banana leaf, chromium and cinammon. My diet is very low carb now and higher fat. I was consuming many carbs before.

If you have any advice, I would very much appreciate that.

Thank you

Mike,

This is all good info which I was not aware of. My glucose levels are at 95, and I am on TRT. My test levels are within normal range now.

I am trying to bring glucose levels down, but I would not want my test levels to go lower than they are. So, from your post I deduct, taking glucophage would not be beneficial for me as it will bring my test levels too low? How about a small dose of it like 250mg a day? Would this be more detrimental than beneficial too?

Do you have any advice as to how to bring glucose levels down? I am taking R-ALA, banana leaf, chromium and cinammon. My diet is very low carb now and higher fat. I was consuming many carbs before.

Thank you

Look into berberine hcl. I use glycox500 and it seems to work good. Lots of success stories with it if you look around

Look into berberine hcl. I use glycox500 and it seems to work good. Lots of success stories with it if you look around

Thanks bro. Just read a few reviews and the product sounds like a great option. I appreciate the help. :)

Thanks bro. Just read a few reviews and the product sounds like a great option. I appreciate the help. :)

Yes, Alpha once told me he used berberine very successfully when he needed to lower his levels.
I'd keep using ALA/cinnamon/chromium as well and apple cider vinegar wouldn't hurt either.

Yes, Alpha once told me he used berberine very successfully when he needed to lower his levels.
I'd keep using ALA/cinnamon/chromium as well and apple cider vinegar wouldn't hurt either.

Thank you for your advice. I will keep the other supplements while adding the berberine and see how that works. I am excited to see if they can go down more.

I appreciate the suggestion :)

Mike,

Thank you

Like I said in the prior post, it's test lowering effect is only relevant in drug-free individuals. You are not drug-free--you are on TRT. Glucophage lowers test "production"--it does nothing to the test that is already there, such as when using TRT.

However, your fasting blood glucose level is still within the normal range (70-99), so I don't really see why you would need it, unless your blood glucose tolerance test is coming back at over 200--then you may have a problem. But that normally doesn't happen when fasting BG levels are normal. The two usually go hand in hand. Often, those who bomb on the glucose tolerance test frequently have poor fasted BG levels, as well.

I heard this video was informative so I tried watching it.

I couldn't understand a word the Doc said.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws