over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

New pre/intra workout thoughts

trontheman

Newbies
Ok guys, I've been doing alot of reading and thinking in my recovery from hernia surgery, and I wanted to get done opinions.

Right now I lift in the afternoon and I take a 40g protein shake about an hour before the gym, then whichever pre I pick that day. Nothing during my workout besides water. I've been thinking of trying something different like some carbs and aminos with caffeine intra instead of a pre. I'm no carbs throughout the day until after I lift, and I'm natural.

What do you guys prefer, hbcd, karboload, Gatorade powder, glycofuse? I'm trying to keep it pretty basic and affordable, I'd rather spend money on other things.

I train more for strength rather than a pump btw, so strength and endurance are key to me.

Any help is always appreciated. Thanks

I can tell you I've tried all the ones you mentioned and I prefer the Glycofuse. Mildest taste and it is easiest on my stomach. The others have the affects ranging from gas to just having an upset stomach.

Ok guys, I've been doing alot of reading and thinking in my recovery from hernia surgery, and I wanted to get done opinions.

Right now I lift in the afternoon and I take a 40g protein shake about an hour before the gym, then whichever pre I pick that day. Nothing during my workout besides water. I've been thinking of trying something different like some carbs and aminos with caffeine intra instead of a pre. I'm no carbs throughout the day until after I lift, and I'm natural.

What do you guys prefer, hbcd, karboload, Gatorade powder, glycofuse? I'm trying to keep it pretty basic and affordable, I'd rather spend money on other things.

I train more for strength rather than a pump btw, so strength and endurance are key to me.

Any help is always appreciated. Thanks

Glycofuse is HBCD and its fantastic.
To be honest...basic and affordable is different for everyone but if you just want to be cheap at all costs...skip the entire idea and use gatorade and some aminos. You won't get the same results....but in my opinion you have to be cheap or go with whats the most effective...which certainly isn't cheap. Going half way is a lose lose situation.

Precontest vs. offseason i feel differently....

Offseason what i suggest, due to being more well fed throughout the day (more glycogen stored and caloric surplus), is a smaller amount of carbs in the intra and post shakes. It simply is not needed in the same amounts. Additionally, i like a little more sweetness, taste and consistency offseason. Pending a clients budget i typically suggest a 50/50 HBCD dextrose combo. I can troubleshoot and hypothesize why, but have no actual scientific support that i just feel the dextrose helps it digest/transit better.

You always have to tailor the shakes to your volume and intensity. Strength days will be less than volume days and surely less than leg days. Hydro and BCAAs usually stay pretty consistent.

For me I find 30-50g HBCD and 15-20g IBCAA reduces soreness during contest prep n off season so I see no need to go higher. I just add in more carbs pre n post

The idea of diverting blood flow into the stomach to digest nutrients when i'm working out seems counter productive to me. Seems like more of an invention by supplement makers to separate you from your money. I eat about 2 hours prior to my workout and right after I get home from the gym.

The idea of diverting blood flow into the stomach to digest nutrients when i'm working out seems counter productive to me. Seems like more of an invention by supplement makers to separate you from your money. I eat about 2 hours prior to my workout and right after I get home from the gym.

unless its all pre/partially digested and is sipped as to not draw blood to digestive track :)

Come on Tom, you should know that the top products pretty much bypass digestion completely. We aren't talking about a whey shake here...which I still see people doing who don't know any better.

For me I find 30-50g HBCD and 15-20g IBCAA reduces soreness during contest prep n off season so I see no need to go higher. I just add in more carbs pre n post

BCAA no doubt works...but I'd probably opt for EAA or a mix. However, di and tri peptides are better in this situation than free form aminos.
I dont know what it is about the casein hydrolysate/Peptopro, but its far superior to any of the other things I have tried.

BCAA no doubt works...but I'd probably opt for EAA or a mix. However, di and tri peptides are better in this situation than free form aminos.
I dont know what it is about the casein hydrolysate/Peptopro, but its far superior to any of the other things I have tried.

Hey dude I was thinking about this today. How do you think HumaPro would work with GlycoFuse?

Hey dude I was thinking about this today. How do you think HumaPro would work with GlycoFuse?

It would probably work OK but you would need a lot of tabs/servings to even get into the correct ballpark. And even then, they are still free form aminos.

I don't see how there is any way how it can compete with the previously described concoctions I am fond of. Nothing else has ever cut out soreness pretty much entirely the way Glycofuse and Peptopro has.

Im sure Plazma does the same but it needs to be priced around $50 a bottle.

Last edited:
I use peptide bonded bcaa which I believe is di n tri ??

I take in scoop beef iso 45 mins pre n whole food 30 min post so covered for eaa

Ive tried pepto pro 4-5 times now. Gives me bad guts like all other milk products

I use peptide bonded bcaa which I believe is di n tri ??

I take in scoop beef iso 45 mins pre n whole food 30 min post so covered for eaa

Ive tried pepto pro 4-5 times now. Gives me bad guts like all other milk products

Are you using enough water with the pepto pro? You should be using 1500-2000mls of water. John Meadows said that this will eliminate GI discomfort.

Come on Tom, you should know that the top products pretty much bypass digestion completely. We aren't talking about a whey shake here...which I still see people doing who don't know any better.

I'm just thinking in the over-all grand scheme of things the difference in one's physique is hardly significant over a year's time if you consume intra-workout nutrients or just eat healthy before and after your training.

I'm just thinking in the over-all grand scheme of things the difference in one's physique is hardly significant over a year's time if you consume intra-workout nutrients or just eat healthy before and after your training.

Except Meadows put on 11lbs of stage weight in a year(being like 39 or 40) using/adding proper intra workout nutrition. Its not the nutrients or the calories per se.... its the enhanced recovery so you can train the bodypart again in 3 days as opposed to a week. You go from training a bodypart 52 times a year to 104+ times a year.
I'd say the correct nutrients intra workout are the complete opposite of a "fad" that shakes used to be and have been for decades.

Except Meadows put on 11lbs of stage weight in a year(being like 39 or 40) using/adding proper intra workout nutrition. Its not the nutrients or the calories per se.... its the enhanced recovery so you can train the bodypart again in 3 days as opposed to a week. You go from training a bodypart 52 times a year to 104+ times a year.
I'd say the correct nutrients intra workout are the complete opposite of a "fad" that shakes used to be and have been for decades.

Well that is significant and should be interesting to see if others can gain in a similar fashion. Thank you for clarifying ( as you often do!....in a good way of course)

What are your thoughts on hydro whey like iso 100? worth it?
At least better than aminos like EAA/BCAA mix?

I know peptopro is far better and hydo why has only 20% peptide etc
almost 10years ago I have tried hydro whey but man, its 10years ago so....

I also used to take peptopro but unfortunately, true nutrition international shipping cost is insanly high so I stopped and back to "whole food guy".

I want to re introduce intra workout drink soon.

In my country, I can get no flavor HBCD very cheap so all I need is good protein that masks HBCD taste.

What you missed actually, more than recovery, is the workout performance ehnancement.

more glucose uptake enhanced by sensitized cells and vasodilation will allow more carbs/glucose shuttled into the cells --> more water (2.7g per 1g glucoae)--->leverage ---> more weight lifted ---> more stimulation. Also more volume/workload handled/fueled with effecient contractions --->more stimulation. Lastly more glucose uptaken ---> more workload --->more byproduct (lactic acid)---> more localized growth factors produced...... all = more growth as result of performance enhancement which IMO > the recovery attributes.

Are you using enough water with the pepto pro? You should be using 1500-2000mls of water. John Meadows said that this will eliminate GI discomfort.
I have but im.sure the amount of water is in relation to carbs not pepto pro

You really think that was down to just pepto pro

He did have the same sponsor st thst time didnt he

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member