over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bent Over Rows - BB vs DB

BigDM

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Which version do you feel promotes the most muscle growth?

db is better for isolating lats

bb is better for hitting lats hard, but also contributing more to upper back assuming you do it *YATES STYLE* ... if you do it bent over, then db will lay waste to barbell in lat activation because it's not optimal for using your lats

EDIT: Never Mind... Read it wrong. Barbell would put on more muscle because ...well it hits more muscles IMO.

Last edited:
BB but DB rows are good too. I often do both in the same workout.

db is better for isolating lats

bb is better for hitting lats hard, but also contributing more to upper back assuming you do it *YATES STYLE* ... if you do it bent over, then db will lay waste to barbell in lat activation because it's not optimal for using your lats

EDIT: Never Mind... Read it wrong. Barbell would put on more muscle because ...well it hits more muscles IMO.

What I was thinking

How does a BB bent over row target more muscle than a DB bent over row (bilateral)?

I don't think it would in that case. If you were doing bent over DB vs bent over BB, they would honestly probably be about the same...I wouldn't worry about it whatsoever. However, I would still think the DB would hit Lats better in this case; while perhaps barbell would still POSSIBLY hit the overall musculature better. Once again seems like it would be really negligible in this scenario.

It's really when you are doing an upright 70degree BB row vs. DB Row with lat emphasis where the barbell would hit more muscle groups(erectors,traps...probably rhomboids too; pretty sure the DB would hit more rear delts and teres though)

Last edited:
I feel both in mid back not lats. That's when doing DB's both at the same time. So to me they are equal.

If I do a single arm and go for a forward stretch I'll feel them in the lats.

But I don't row for lats anyway so I don't do them like that.

Both are good and have their place. When doing barbell though form is key, you can get a bit sloppy with the dbs but the bb is less forgiving. Overall the barbell would likely promote more growth due to being able to inherently move more weight with it, but me personally, I've found the db row to work better, especially kroc style.

I like them about the same. I'll do db and seated wide cable rows and get about the same effect.

this

I feel both in mid back not lats. That's when doing DB's both at the same time. So to me they are equal.

If I do a single arm and go for a forward stretch I'll feel them in the lats.

But I don't row for lats anyway so I don't do them like that.

I feel barbell row will of course get more of the body involved (its a compound exercise) and dumbells can get a bit more isolation out of the back. takes out arms a lil more and allows skeleton to move thru its most natural path making it safer imo. and safety is where its at for me nowadays so I kinda prefer dumbells.... both have their place for a young healthy injury free lifter!:star-war:
-JS

It's a toss up. Do both. Not necessarily in the same workout, but keep both in your training plans.

Great feed-back everyone! I do both, but was just curious as to what worked best for others. I actually do quite a few row variations:

BB/DB bent over rows
Single-arm DB rows (std and deadstop)
Chest supported DB rows
Head supported BB bent over rows
Seated cable rows

I seem to get the best muscle stimulation doing DB bent over rows. More range of motion and I can get a better squeeze at the top of the movement.

The dynamic of each is different and I do both.
Heavy 1 arm dumbells if you use a decent range of motion and actually pull into your torso (that is the weight touches you) unlike you see with most vids where its a 2/3 range of motion- is a great exercise.
Barbell is one of my favorite back exercises for overall thickness behind deads.

I can use a lot of weight on each so I tend to do them first and knock them out then do all my feely stuff.
Sometimes Ill reverse the order for the sake of changing stimulation but both hammer the back and do it in a slightly different manner.

Rows

DB rows will give you more total muscle recruitment than BB row
1-any unilateral exercise will recruit more than bilaterally due to stabilization
2-The way most people perform a DB row, will get more rotation in the torso while stretching with the db at the bottom position and then more rotation in the torso in the contracted position. This is why if you go heavy enough you get sore obliques/core.
They are both good and can be included in the same workout.

i can't seem to lift heavy with dumbells unless its a one arm row.

but there is probably more value in alternating around rather than focusing on the single best exercise.

i also like to lay face down on an incline bench and do supported db rows holding the fully contracted position.

The dynamic of each is different and I do both.
Heavy 1 arm dumbells if you use a decent range of motion and actually pull into your torso (that is the weight touches you) unlike you see with most vids where its a 2/3 range of motion- is a great exercise.
Barbell is one of my favorite back exercises for overall thickness behind deads.

I can use a lot of weight on each so I tend to do them first and knock them out then do all my feely stuff.
Sometimes Ill reverse the order for the sake of changing stimulation but both hammer the back and do it in a slightly different manner.

Bro,all i can say is when you post up the weights for your rows i am amazed you are not looking for a pink ball(aka your nut) rolling on the ground @the gym(rotflmao)
My self have used weights i thought my balls where going to pop off:D

Enough playing .I like to perform the bent barbell row first with higher weights and then hit the one arm dumbell row afterwards.I can use the exercise for its benefit,squeezing the shit out of the lats.

Yeah i like the heavy weights but to be honest most do, but one thing guys will agree on is you have to take the time to put the ego aside and stretch and feel the muscle while doing the exercise,at least half the time.
After 20 years i finally practiced what i was telling others.I use a deadlift per say and use a heavy weight and trying to succeed by the number of reps and weight.Then the next exercise (any example)Lat pulldowns i will go at a rep range of 8-15? and use the exercise to stimulate the muscle.
embarrassed' as i am to say i need the heavy weights, mental ,physical, whatever, but i now know it takes more than heavy ass weights .:eek:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131