over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

20 rep sets?

football101

Registered
Anyone have experience doing 20 rep sets controlling and feeling the weight? Curious to try 3 sets of 20 instead of lifting heavier and seeing what type of results id get. Never hurts to try new things out... If you've done it what were your results like?

I have been getting back to these to finish of squats, i really like them and on my program right now i use clustered set of 20 for my heavy compound movement and then 1 set of 20 reps straight for an "isolation" movement, i really like it, only 3 weeks so will report back after a full 8 weeks. My main thing no matter what rep range has been progressive overload the past 6 months and thats made a BIG difference.

I use 20 as a rep scheme in general. If I go heavy I try to keep it 12-15 love the pumps.

I`ve had some pain in my left shoulder the last few weeks so just had to go lighter on the weight to avoid pain. I`m really digging slow 4ct up 4 down, controlled, contracting the muscle to lift vs just moving the weight up, focus on the muscles as I contract, with higher reps 15-20. Last set doing 12, 10 second rest do another 7-8 reps, and 3 more 10 sec breaks. My muscles are a lot more sore than usual. I`m only 3 weeks in so I~ll let you know how it goes.

I go heavy and low reps one week then light with high reps the next. I love the high reps keeps me pumped and gives my joints a rest

Anyone have experience doing 20 rep sets controlling and feeling the weight? Curious to try 3 sets of 20 instead of lifting heavier and seeing what type of results id get. Never hurts to try new things out... If you've done it what were your results like?

I do it every few weeks just to change things up. I think its very beneficial to vary rep schemes.

All rep schemes have their place. I particularly like 20s on leg press, or for a widow maker squat set, as well as for back off sets in all movements in general. There are no magic numbers, best to keep an open mind to all set rep schemes, because they all work to some degree.

Plenty of research has proven that 70-80% 1rm stimulates the most muscle fiber, however, high reps can stimulate a great deal of fiber recruitment if sets are taken to absolute failure.

I'm just a nobody who likes a workout, I've been consistently training since 1995, and to be honest I find heavy training to work the best for muscle. A typical leg workout might consist of 2-3 sets of 4-6 reps of squats & hack squats followed by a higher rep set of lunges or something but I'm still probably not taking more than 15 steps lol. I just can focus better on 6 reps than I can 20. I find higher reps I get injuries more. I don't know if I get sloppy on the reps just pumping them out or what but sets of 20-30 reps dips my delts hurt. 20 rep ass to grass squats bothers my deadlifts etc. Not saying they don't have their place but I don't know about year round.

yes!

tons of work with this, but in a bigger picture sort of way.

I made some of my best progress doing a modified 100s routine that I adapted from endurance athletes.

5 work sets of 20 reps.

if you are not controlling and feeling the weight idk what you are doing.

there is LOTS to this!

There awesome for lower body and my back and chest, but I don't pick up much size from 20 rep straight sets for things like arms and shoulders. Arms are 5-10's and 10 is pushing it. But as everyone else says it's definetly good to do everyone and while for a stale routine or body part

There awesome for lower body and my back and chest, but I don't pick up much size from 20 rep straight sets for things like arms and shoulders. Arms are 5-10's and 10 is pushing it. But as everyone else says it's definetly good to do everyone and while for a stale routine or body part

it all depends on how you implement it.

the idea is to encourage new nerve innervations, if you do it right you will force your body to grow. doing it randomly will do very little. it takes 6-8 weeks to develop the innervations typically. use constant progression/over load, meaning you must increase weight or reps every time.

20 rep sets on squats is like a serious cardio work out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use this all the time , especially for bi's cuz my forearms are shot, great results!...

I use 20 as a rep scheme in general. If I go heavy I try to keep it 12-15 love the pumps.

I use 20 as my average rep number whenever I workout, unless I'm going heavier than normal. Seems to stimulate the muscle plus the heart.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear