YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High fructose corn syrup OR artificial sweeteners? Choose your devil?

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
The easy answer is refrain from drinking soda. However, some of us love it and drink it once or twice a day. I recently had a friend that had given up diet soda because of the sweeteners and said "screw it...sugar is probably less harmful, so I quit diet drinks" - as he sipped a 20 oz regular coke. I told him we didn't live in a country that used sugar and it is high fructose corn syrup which is far worse.

That being said...if you were forced to choose, would you continue on with:

A)Soda with HFCS
B)Diet soda with artificial sweeteners
C)Real sugar sodas like Sierra Mist and Mexican versions of Sprite, Coca Cola etc..

Last edited:
Pepsi or Mountain Dew Throwback....supposedly made with real sugar

I kicked the habit quite a while back and drink plain black iced coffee with a good bit of raw milk to flavor it

Real sugar, of course.

We don't use corn syrup in my country and all the major brand sodas taste a lot better than its US versions.

That said, I'd probably have to add a full hour of cardio every day to stay on the same BF% if I added 2 sodas a day to my diet. Simple sugar adds fat like there's no tomorrow.

Personally Id go with the artificial sweeteners just so I've got some calories to invest in food. As it goes I only drink water and some times Green tea any way so no issue for me.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

high fructose corn syrup, because even a small amount of artificial sweetners are harmful. in my opinion hfsc isnt much worse then regular sugar. also you may be able to combat the insulin spike from the high fuctose corn syrup by having protein and fat before.

oops lets not forget fiber too

Last edited:
They need more sodas with stevia/erythritol. Anyone want to make a few million dollars? I have the feeling there is market enough for it.

yeah erythritol would be a great option imo also great at raising alkalinity. i just dont like the taste :p . maybe mix it with a little sugar if you dont like the taste alone .

The easy answer is refrain from drinking soda. However, some of us love it and drink it once or twice a day. I recently had a friend that had given up diet soda because of the sweeteners and said "screw it...sugar is probably less harmful, so I quit diet drinks" - as he sipped a 20 oz regular coke. I told him we didn't live in a country that used sugar and it is high fructose corn syrup which is far worse.

That being said...if you were forced to choose, would you continue on with:

A)Soda with HFCS
B)Diet soda with artificial sweeteners
C)Real sugar sodas like Sierra Mist and Mexican versions of Sprite, Coca Cola etc..

If I were forced, I pick C, for Sierra Mist.

I personally use Truvia (Stevia), but I've been curious about Monk Fruit Sweetener...This is what I found about it...

"The monk fruit itself appears to have some interesting components, similar to stevia, including a group of triterpene glycosides (called mogrosides) that are sweet but non-caloric. Like stevia, monk fruit mogrosides have some health effects beyond just being sweet without being caloric."

Monk fruit mogrosides have antioxidant activity;
In a mouse model of diabetes, mogrosides lowered oxidative stress, blood glucose, and improved blood lipids;
One study gave dogs up to 3 grams per kg body weight without affecting body weight, food consumption, hematology, blood chemistry, urinalysis, organ weight, or histopathology, so the monk fruit extract appears to be fairly non-toxic.

Bottom line: "I’d say it’s worth a shot if you’re looking for a non-caloric, natural sweetener, especially if you don’t like the taste of stevia.

I also found this article that says the soda companies seem to be leaning toward Monk Fruit as a sweetener as well.

Here's the link...

**broken link removed**

I drink and consume both....and i'm not even joking around.

I wouldn't touch either one. I've read studies in the past that showed artificial sweeteners put more weight on people than sugar. I'll see if I can find some info later.

I wouldn't touch either one. I've read studies in the past that showed artificial sweeteners put more weight on people than sugar. I'll see if I can find some info later.

if i remember correctly its because they make you crave sweets.

Bio, i totally forgot about monk fruit and honestly dont know much about it, but ill start researching. thanx!

from a very quick search. monk fruit is supposedly just crushed monk fruit then infused with water. since it is 300 times as sweet as sugar very little is needed so only a miniscule amount of calories are taken in. also supposed to have a small amount of anti-cancer fighting properties. tho i am gunna research it much more. you can get it here tho

SkinnyGirl Monk Fruit Extract Liquid Sweetener

Im not sure how erythritol tastes by itself, but when you mix it with stevia (which doesnt taste that great by itself either) they taste great together, which is the composition of Truvia.

Im not sure how erythritol tastes by itself, but when you mix it with stevia (which doesnt taste that great by itself either) they taste great together, which is the composition of Truvia.

yes, erythritol is better choice,only 10% enters the colon verses sugar or aspartame 90%, so not that much damage to the good bacteria in the colon.
However it can cause can cause nausea if you consume over 50g.

Easy, high fructose corn syrup. No tellimg what the chemicals in artificial sweeteners does to a persons body but it certainly isn't good. At least with the corn syrup you can control the body's insulin reaction by consuming it post workout with a high protein meal or shake.

I'd never ever ever touch HFCS so I'd go for those diet sodas that use splenda or stevia.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner