over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

back pain when doing legs

Jman9229

Registered
So I've been having some pain for quite awhile and I usually just tough it out. But I figured maybe there's a reason behind it and someone else may have/had the same problem and might have some advice.

When I squat, I feel like my spine is just crushing and compressing, around the middle of my back. I get like a sharp pain as well. I 've tried putting the bar up high, low, and everywhere in between, with no help at all. hell, I don't even squat heavy and it happens(185lbs, I weigh 165). I also get pain in my lower back when I do leg press, like my lower back just gets so freakin tight it's crazy. I always keep good form too, butt down and a tight core. I had the seat tilted back all the way, so I might try moving it more upright.

I probably should add that with my job I wear a 30lb vest around all day, which i'm sure doesn't help.

I just bought an inversion table, just to see if that helps.

Any thoughts or comments? Much appreciated...

How tall are you?

Also when doing leg press, before you push up the weight on the first rep, raise your butt off the seat by a few inches. The reverse force will keep your lower back firmly against the seat back and aligned.

How tall are you?

Also when doing leg press, before you push up the weight on the first rep, raise your butt off the seat by a few inches. The reverse force will keep your lower back firmly against the seat back and aligned.

i'm 5'10"

For squats you need to work on your form. Try placing either 10 pound or even 25 pound plates under your heels. You need to keep your back from hunching over.

And try the other idea when doing leg press.

I hope this helps you. I'm over 6 feet so I feel your pain.

I used to get really painful lower back pain when doing squats and deads, I went to the chiro and he got me stretching my hamstrings more...a lot more...has really helped. Something with how the muscles tie in

Could be numerous amounts of things that can factor back pain.

Ive been living with back pain for over 10 years, since I separated from the USMC.

You should take an noninflammatory for 2 weeks everyday see if that helps the pain. Also, what kind mattress do you sleep on? Believe it or not can play a big role in relieving that pain.

Always make sure proper form is used when squatting is a given.

You might want to consider seeing a Chiropractor. I had a similar experience while squatting. It felt like a red hot iron was being pressed into my back just below the shoulder blade. A Chiropractor helped adjust my spine because doing heavy squats (+350lbs.) can throw your spine out of alignment causing pain. After getting an adjustment I felt way better! No pain and better range of motion. Just be aware that you might have to return for treatment several times for maximum benefit.

I used to have a similar feeling. Using an inversion table, I think you call it, helps. (the machine that allows you to hang by your feet and decompress your spine). I'm guessing it could come from having a weak core or not tightening your core enough through the movement, leaving the weight on your joints more than on your muscles.

For squats you need to work on your form. Try placing either 10 pound or even 25 pound plates under your heels. You need to keep your back from hunching over.

I keep perfect form. I do elevate my heels as well. Thanks for the advice

Have you messed around with hand position? I used to squat with my hands wide and would get insane lower back pumps. I brought my grip in and put my back in a better position.

this is horrible info.

leg press, u dont want to round ur hips up. i want to keep that arch doing leg press just as u would in squats.

also, plates under heels? MAYBE if someone has severe ankle flexibility but again, u want that arch when squatting. and heels up may cause someone to lean to far forward, knees going over toes, etc. u want feet flat, on heels, spreading floor. I do same with leg press.

TO OP

look up "so you think you can squat" videos. Nice parts about posterior chain, how to hold it, work it, etc.

id take a hard look at everything from foot placement to upper back.

dont feel bad about wearing a belt on evne leg presses. helps keep everything nice and tight and at the least is a mental reminder to keep your back positioned correctly.

good luck, i live with herniated disks and been ALL through this sorta crap. :headbang:

definetly see a chiropractor or massage therapist. but one who know what they are doing who has delt with athletes before.

I got good money you have tight hammies and hip flexors.
My advice is doing some light good mornings or hyperextensions fist to stretch out and warm up that area- TP4U was mentioning this earlier this week and it really makes a difference.
I do that, some stretching, and do pre exhaust for my legs and usually that helps a great deal.

Have you messed around with hand position? I used to squat with my hands wide and would get insane lower back pumps. I brought my grip in and put my back in a better position.

yep, I tried that. I saw a video awhile ago that explained how keeping your hands and elbows in helps lock your torso. no luck with that back pain though.

this is horrible info.

leg press, u dont want to round ur hips up. i want to keep that arch doing leg press just as u would in squats.

also, plates under heels? MAYBE if someone has severe ankle flexibility but again, u want that arch when squatting. and heels up may cause someone to lean to far forward, knees going over toes, etc. u want feet flat, on heels, spreading floor. I do same with leg press.

TO OP

look up "so you think you can squat" videos. Nice parts about posterior chain, how to hold it, work it, etc.

id take a hard look at everything from foot placement to upper back.

dont feel bad about wearing a belt on evne leg presses. helps keep everything nice and tight and at the least is a mental reminder to keep your back positioned correctly.

good luck, i live with herniated disks and been ALL through this sorta crap. :headbang:

Will do. I actually like having my heels elevated because its hard for me to stay upright and keep my knees behind my toes. If I don't elevate my heels sometimes my back starts to bend forward when I get down low.

I got good money you have tight hammies and hip flexors.
My advice is doing some light good mornings or hyperextensions fist to stretch out and warm up that area- TP4U was mentioning this earlier this week and it really makes a difference.
I do that, some stretching, and do pre exhaust for my legs and usually that helps a great deal.

I have def. been working on stretching my hams. I do the bear walk ups(idk what they're called exactly), also seen in a video posted a couple weeks ago where dorian yates was training someone. I do the same stretches in the video.

For this particular workout I even did hams first.

I have never done good mornings, so i'll try that out. Thanks

Strengthen your core and stretch your muscles, some Pilates could help.

See your doctor if the pain doesn't subside.

Another tip: squeeze and contract your glutes before going down on the squat.This will ensure that your body/ spine is straight.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael_
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws