over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

more cable and machine ?

Drago

Registered
i'm 46 year's old and have arthritis in both shoulder, poor lower back...
so deadlifts, squat, all the press are so hard on my joints... and i want to progress always a little.
so can i switch, maybe 70% of my training with cables and machines ?
i'm not gifted so basic heavy low volume work for me.
more machines and cable with more volume maybe work too ?
your opinion will help me thank's

I think you answered your own question there fella, if your body is hurting from certain movements, then you should 100% in my opinion refrain from them and do movements that allow you to progress and work the muscle with a longevity in mind also.

I think its absolute non-sense that you must do xyz movement or you wont get no development, find exercises that "fit" your structure and that you can feel the muscle working and then progress them.

That is my advice anyway

I agree. Don't do anything that causes true pain (normal muscle pain while lifting is ok). However, also take a close look at your diet and investigate supplements that may help. From a dietary perspective, research anti-inflammatory diets. For supplements, cissus, glucosamine, and fish oil seem to help.

I feel tons better doing high rep/low weight on machines...best muscle pumps ever!!

I turned 60 in may of this year. I have been doing high volume high rep training 90% machines for quite some time. My physique is as good as it's ever been but of course my strength is down from 30 years ago. At this point I would trade very little joint pain and longevity for strength any day.

so deadlifts, squat, all the press are so hard on my joints... and i want to progress always a little.

I too am 46 and do primarily machines and cables. I find the machines these days hit muscles in a way free weights can not. You'll grow just as well in my opinion.

I too am 46 and do primarily machines and cables. I find the machines these days hit muscles in a way free weights can not. You'll grow just as well in my opinion.

Last I checked, a muscle doesn't know what is causing the stress... all it knows it a stress is placed upon it. Use the stress that suits your body :)

Almost 61 in a few days and I can say, just do what does not hurt, but hit it hard if you can. Concentrate on "feeling" the muscle work. I'm liking the lighter weights with higher reps at this point in my life too. I'm not interested in moving the kind of weight I did years ago and my joints would not take it anyway. But you can still get in a hellava workout.

Last edited:
I'm liking the 15 rep range... whatever weight you can do for that if its pretty pain-free. Really getting that good deep burn.

light weight but up the volume ?

That too. If You are feeling good, go for it. No need to stop at a certain number sets. Go by your energy levels.

I'm 50 been training for 32 years obsessively in weights and 41 in martial arts. Plus I have formal educatin cscs too!
When I train others the main premise I try to convey is to know thyself ! Therefore only you can answer . Only you know your streghth and weak points . Tailor your training to you . Even in past when I had surgeries I did not take totally off . I plan l
Layoffs, trAin around injuries . Machines can help you train through injuries . Cuz the machine supports the body part that may be injured or just to vary stimulation you switch . Variety is how to progress . Free weights as much as on can as they hit the small support muscles but if you feel pain you can get creative and find a machine that let's you rest inury but still train the muscle . MAybe you are specializing on a particular part and the machine variation may help . Never be afraid to experiment . Say if you got lower back issues then your body is supported by a pad or bench but still hit weight hard. When I had my spine reconstructed I still trained but for example I could not bear weight with my lower back or compress my spine . I remember finding a machine where I layed down to do press's for delts . Also when you can train the inured area in rehab fashion . I made my erectors my built in weight belt by incorporating my rehab into my back routines . Hypers are done as well as deads to keep my back striong but it took time to work on. I tore my radial tendon and bicep exercises hurt so for few months I found pumping and trainig my forarm first I could do bi's pain free. Then when I was back to normal I revert back to typical order . I tore my tricep off the bone doing heavy dumbell pullovers which when I did chins wide it became excruciating yet I could do heavy rows and close grip pulldownd. We as bodybuilders are artists that creat beauty . Lol like ourselves don't get stuck doing the same routine or exercises . See people at your gym that go daily for years and they never change. Even some bodybuilders get bigger but remain out of proportion or lopsided. Because they stay with same methods . Even when you find routine that works you need to change it then come back to it later. The volume, sets the way you performs Reps. Because of how my body responds I've not done flat bench press since 1984. However inclines , dips, machines replace it. Of course if you are a competitive lifer then it's different as benching is part of the contest . However even the best Olympic and power lifters cycle and go through periodization with variables of their routine . Tons if literature are available

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

Exercise can heal . Only you can answer that by experimenting . I'm 50 and I healed mine to the point I got off medication I use both but I do variety of training

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

Over the last few years i find myself using free weights the first exercise pretty heavy then do alot of machines and cables. I get the best pumps from machines and much less pain on the joints

Im liking machines and cables more and more as i get older. Lately ive been using chest machines and instead of dumbbells and i feel they are much more beneficial

I'm fortunate enough that at my age, a mere 45, that I can still use free weights without pain..for the most part. Ocaasionally I will push it a little harder than I should and pull something, but that comes with the territory.

Cables and machines are great tools for sure. My gym has both plate loaded and cable type machines. They recently purchased a line of machines made by Matrix. They are pretty awesome. Smooth feel and target the muscle very well. I'm pretty confident one could build a good physique using just machines and cables if one had to.

training the way you can train beats training the way you wish you could all the time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
HughJass
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity