over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

I hate the Fitness Industry by Taylor Normandeau

ajdos

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
TAYLOR NORMANDEAU OCTOBER 3, 2014 0

I Hate the Fitness Industry​

I love bodybuilding. The entire concept of starting with a normal, human anatomy and through years of repetitive action transforming it into a larger than life caricature of borderline ridiculous proportions is something that I not only respect, but find myself addicted to. There is a combination of pure animalistic action (lifting weights) mixed with art and creation (the vision of the final product and maintaining balance) that is beautiful to me in how the two usually contrary elements are equally necessary to achieve the physique you strive to create. It is a daily grind filled with robot like repetition, done all on ones’ own with the singular goal of hitting the perfect combination of muscularity, symmetry, and condition. The process is not glamorous, but the end product is. There is something somewhat mysterious and noble (or maybe I am just trying to glorify a really boring lifestyle) about putting in the work every day while the rest of society neglects their body, and instead of asking for recognition and fishing for it, you simply wear your hard work and earn it that way.

Then we have the fitness industry. One would assume bodybuilding and fitness are directly related, but in my opinion the two have very little to do with each other anymore. It would be easy to say that bodybuilding was spawned out of the fitness industry, but I would say in reality it is the other way around; The mainstream public were not going to gyms to be more fit until after movie stars like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sly Stallone showed up on the big screens with Dbol flowing through their veins. The entire “Gold’s Gym” culture was brought to light from the classic Pumping Iron, and society started to adopt the bodybuilding lifestyle slowly, although bastardizing it on the way. There simply were not infomercials selling fitness accessories and exercise videos until bodybuilding left its mark; it’s just a fact. Arnold was on the scene and he wanted to PUMP YOU UP!

Of course, what we saw was a watered down version of the bodybuilding lifestyle trickle its way through to most households, as men would go to their health clubs and their wives would do an aerobics VHS workout. We saw low-fat alternatives to normal foods pop up across shelves everywhere (although no one cared to realize they were loaded with sugar) and seemingly everyone had some concept in their head of what is “healthy” and what is not. And that is the basic seed that was planted that has blossomed today into one giant obnoxious problem; everyone thinks they know something about nutrition and training. Here is a fact – If you put two people in the gym, even if neither of them look like they have ever trained and both have minimal experience, the one who has been to the gym more times (even if it’s 10 more times) usually speaks as the expert and the other as the student. I have overheard some of the most hilarious and atrocious things being spoken between small groups of people who all look like beginners. I am not sure if this is just human nature or if it is because of the fitness lifestyle being such a normal part of everyday life through commercials and TV, but almost no one is willing to admit they don’t really possess any solid knowledge. I simply don’t understand it. If you are at the gym with your workout partners and none of you really have any expertise, why wouldn’t you approach the more advanced gym goers instead of bestowing the crown of educator to your one friend who got his membership 4 months before you?

So, from bodybuilding began the fitness industry, which is now its own monolithic beast that in most cases spits on the sport that created it in the first place. The entire thing has been sped up exponentially with the introduction of the MPD and Bikini divisions. Now, not only do we have the regular joes think they are personal trainers, but people who don’t even like or understand bodybuilding are IFBB pro’s and followed by thousands of people. The fitness industry has taken away many things that were so purely bodybuilding previously, and bastardized it so that now the phrases have no context. A “Pro Card” used to be the utmost royalty in bodybuilding, now people can have one within 6 months of training and never hitting a back double biceps pose in their life. Contest prep used to be a very clear process that was brutal and full of months of strict dieting to achieve an insane level of condition, while balancing more muscle than a body should ever carry. Now? Contest prep can mean being 130lbs and eating tilapia and broccoli for 6 weeks with a weekly cheat meal. Those girls (and boys) metabolisms must be firing like crazy with that 90lbs of lean body mass they carry! Jeez, what a tough balance. A sponsorship deal used to usually include thousands of dollars in exchange for your likeness to be plastered across multi-page ads and represent a company as their face; now it usually means three free products a month and you get to market the brand yourself through your social media.

The internet has only helped turn everyone into experts, and now anyone who has read a viral Facebook article on clean eating can bicker back and forth with someone who has been in the trenches for two decades. It’s getting to the point where you can have conversations at the gym with people who look normal only to find out they are 10 weeks out from their MPD debut, and when you tell them you are a bodybuilder they almost look at you like “why?”. Bodybuilding used to be filled with alpha male characters who all had their own personalities and different physiques. There was an overall camaraderie, but for the most part each man stood on his own two feet and had no desire to blend in. Today’s fitness industry is one big melting pot of hair gel and eating disorders. Everyone wants to be on team this or that, whether it be a training team where the coach sends out mass emails with the same diets for everyone, or supplement company teams so they can add it to their Instagram profile. These people want to tell you what they trained today instead of just training and letting you make the observation.

I’m tired of all of this fitness nonsense. No one cares if you “killed chest today”, and unless your chest is bigger than everyone else I sure as hell don’t care what exercises you did. Thanks to this “everyone can do it!” mindset we now usually have almost as many competitors in a show as there are spectators. Think about how absolutely ridiculous that is for just a moment. We have watered down the ultimate pursuit of perfection into a look-at-me pageant where everyone and their fat cousin gets a turn. No one is denying that some of these people look great, the issue is that there are tons of people out there who look great…Do they all deserve to be admired and critiqued on a stage? God no.

I, for one, do not see a connection between fitness and bodybuilding anymore. Fitness is defined as “the condition of being physically fit and healthy”. Bodybuilding is about achieving inhuman things and representing a higher standard, and sadly it has become the red-headed stepchild of the lifestyle it created.

Last edited:
I read that aswell spot on. Have alot of guys and girls on my gym who's like "mm competing next year" and im like do you even lift...

There have been a few threads lately about the emergence of the Bikini and Physique divisions and for the most part all the body builders feel the same way about it. This guy just hits the nail on the head....

I said last week in a thread that a girl who has been training for a year can compete in Bikini and try to get a pro card, all they need to be is lean ?!? Thats it !!! And a few people were like no its not that easy...

This guy says its only 6 months and he is probably right. And they do give away pro cards like candy now... Back in the day it took years and years to be a pro.

I am one of the people who has been around the scene for 20 years, but i know far from everything because i have never fully dedicated myself to the sport. Its my hobby, thats it, i dont make my living in fitness. But when i started training 20 years ago at 13 i decided to gain as much knowledge as i could. Now people who have been lifting for a year are like oh im doing a show I must know more than you, its a joke...

There have been a few threads lately about the emergence of the Bikini and Physique divisions and for the most part all the body builders feel the same way about it. This guy just hits the nail on the head....

I said last week in a thread that a girl who has been training for a year can compete in Bikini and try to get a pro card, all they need to be is lean ?!? Thats it !!! And a few people were like no its not that easy...

This guy says its only 6 months and he is probably right. And they do give away pro cards like candy now... Back in the day it took years and years to be a pro.

I am one of the people who has been around the scene for 20 years, but i know far from everything because i have never fully dedicated myself to the sport. Its my hobby, thats it, i dont make my living in fitness. But when i started training 20 years ago at 13 i decided to gain as much knowledge as i could. Now people who have been lifting for a year are like oh im doing a show I must know more than you, its a joke...

I know 3 people in my area. 2 bikini chics, one mpd who got their cards in max of shows and 1 year or less. 1 bikini girl did state show then won her class at Nationals with 6 months of training. She was 21 and rail thin. The other girl did state show, 3rd at jrs, joined team bomb got implants came back next yr won class at nationals. Also a tiny petite girl who maybe trained 6 months before first contest. Guy did state show in winter and next summer did jrs got 2nd in class and pro card.

IM more aggravated by their attitudes than their physiques.

I see some of them who work hard, I have one friend who does MP and another who's an IFBB pro Physique in women's and they keep it real.
But there are a number of clowns who have the 'oh this shit is easy' mentality and a lot of it comes from the very thing being talked about in the OP.

Of all the additions I HATE bikini the most, what insult to all those guy training hardcore for years and years that bikini "pros" share the same stage as them. What a freaking disgrace to the ifbb, it cheapens the pro card tittle.

Strut around...stick your butt out, turn around smile...strut back in line, disgraceful

This article is fantastic btw. It's basically what ALL the serious bodybuilders /lifters have been saying for a long time now.

Some one should copy and paste this article into every single "fitness" idiots Facebook page everytime they post some dumba** update like "just did cardio" or "gym selfie" or picture of a cheat meal lol...dang I hate these people lol!

Last edited:
The thread that was going last week we all came to the obvious conclusion that its about the money. More people competing means more payments at shows, and it attracts the average everyday person to the shows and to buying the magazines.

But i mean how many pro's are they going to have? There are like hundreds of people getting their cards per month. Can you really have thousands of pro's and it not become a joke?

I hope they all realize they arent going to make any money just because they are a "pro"

Nothing in this world is pure anymore.

It is all about the $$$

The bikini division probably brings in more fans than any other.....

Nobody wants to lift heavy weights.....
for free.....

Although I slightly enjoy having this goofy ass anonymous name to post under without any consequences, a few guys on here know me on Facebook and stuff, I wrote this article (I'm Taylor)

It really means a ton to me to see it hit home with some people, I'm just a bodybuilding purist who loves the shit out of this sport. It's been surreal to see the response from this article, I have around a dozen published on Project Bodybuilding but this one was one I felt very passionate about.

Thank you OP for posting this, did not expect that. Cheers guys.

I agree that it is about money. No one is saying that you can't have these shows just keep them separate. No one want to sit through a ten hour show anyways. BB and fitness(those ladies can do things crazy impressive and work hard has hell) the rest of the foo foo shit can get it's own damn auditorium.

Although I slightly enjoy having this goofy ass anonymous name to post under without any consequences, a few guys on here know me on Facebook and stuff, I wrote this article (I'm Taylor)

It really means a ton to me to see it hit home with some people, I'm just a bodybuilding purist who loves the shit out of this sport. It's been surreal to see the response from this article, I have around a dozen published on Project Bodybuilding but this one was one I felt very passionate about.

Cool article. Completely agree. Thanks for writing it.

Honor to meet you Taylor, excellent article, I think you articulated what many of us feel but cannot put into exact words.
Thanks for writing that.

Wow Chode (Taylor) i knew i liked you already from some of your posts in other threads that I have read. Now I really like you !!!

You are a talented writer, you articulated your points very well and said what we all are thinking.

Thanks for stepping out there like that !!

Honor to meet you Taylor, excellent article, I think you articulated what many of us feel but cannot put into exact words.
Thanks for writing that.

Great article. I'm tired of the bikini ifbb stuff, and the facebook/instagram "fitness gurus" that think they're special.

Wow Chode (Taylor) i knew i liked you already from some of your posts in other threads that I have read. Now I really like you !!!

You are a talented writer, you articulated your points very well and said what we all are thinking.

Thanks for stepping out there like that !!

Hey thanks man, I'm very humbled by the warm reception, I appreciate it.

:headbang:

The article read my mind to the "T"

i find things really have not changed that much for the vast majority of people over the last 25 years.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws