over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anti-bacterial soaps and triclosan

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Ok...well to keep clearer skin I switched to antibacterial Dial soap bars 3-4yrs back at the recommendation from Palumbo. I can't stand most bodywash and moisturizing shampoo as I am oily and hate feeling wet/sweaty right out of the shower - so I prefer dry anti-bacterial bar soap that seemingly does keep my skin clearer.

However, recently there has been this big issue with triclosan...enough so that Minnesota as a state has started a ban on it this year. Is using anti-bacterial soaps and toothpastes etc with triclosan bad news?

Ok...well to keep clearer skin I switched to antibacterial Dial soap bars 3-4yrs back at the recommendation from Palumbo. I can't stand most bodywash and moisturizing shampoo as I am oily and hate feeling wet/sweaty right out of the shower - so I prefer dry anti-bacterial bar soap that seemingly does keep my skin clearer.

However, recently there has been this big issue with triclosan...enough so that Minnesota as a state has started a ban on it this year. Is using anti-bacterial soaps and toothpastes etc with triclosan bad news?

Not directly. It's the indirect results over time. Bombarding our homes, ecosystems and water tables with mild antibacterial compounds (like triclosan, the active in virtually every antibacterial soap product) will, over time, lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria and more powerful bacteria that doesn't respond as well to first line antibiotics. The over use of antibiotic medication does the same. Aside from this, there is some evidence it can be an endocrine disruptor with constant daily exposure. Detractors say the antibacterial nature isn't necessary to keep you clean and you're causing more harm than good by overusing these products.

Here's a brief but decent summary of the main points.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/08/5_reasons_to_stop_using_antibacterial_soap_partner/

I personally think the over sterilization of society is resulting in weaker immune systems, MORE active allergies and stronger bacteria. See here:

**broken link removed**

For keeping skin clean, something like sylic acid body wash seems wiser to "dry" out the skin of oil secretions more. Acne on the back and shoulders is rarely remedied by antibacterial soap and high bacteria levels is not generally the culprit, it's the oil buildup on skin and normal levels if present bacteria.

Last edited:
triclosan can react with other organics to produce dioxin, happens in waste water treatment but may also happen in/on your body.

If you don't how bad dioxin is well its fucking bad

Get a soap bar with salicylic acid, its meant for oily skin and acne. Triclosan is s known carcinogen bro. We use to use Colgate advanced and once we found out it had triclosan we switched brands.

-Baseline

Get a soap bar with salicylic acid, its meant for oily skin and acne. Triclosan is s known carcinogen bro. We use to use Colgate advanced and once we found out it had triclosan we switched brands.

-Baseline
I've tried various salicylic acid washes and they don't seem to help strangely enough. Haven't found a bar..but haven't looked extensively in quite some time. Thanks for the suggestion bro.

Salicylic acid is the biggest waste for me, does nothing.

Knight have you ever tried benzoyl peroxide? Panoxyl makes a soap bar with 10% benzoyl peroxide. I use it once a day to twice a day at most and it keeps me very clear. It's the only thing that works for me, I'm super oily. I take like 3 showers a day!!

I don't like the benzoyl peroxide creams because they mess up your clothing and sheets, etc.

It's bad enough for my home country to ban it completely. When I came back to US last year I switched to products that don't contain triclosan.

Have you tried Tar Soap? My brother used it and it helped with his cyst acne when he was on cycles. It helped my dad with his psoriasis too.

i stopped using any antibacterial soap years ago. triclosan kills the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria that protects the immune system. it also mixes with the chlorine in tap water to make chloroform a carcinogen.

Salicylic acid is the biggest waste for me, does nothing.

Knight have you ever tried benzoyl peroxide? Panoxyl makes a soap bar with 10% benzoyl peroxide. I use it once a day to twice a day at most and it keeps me very clear. It's the only thing that works for me, I'm super oily. I take like 3 showers a day!!

I don't like the benzoyl peroxide creams because they mess up your clothing and sheets, etc.

Where can the bar be found and is it expensive?

I used Black Tar soap from Whole Foods for a while...it was decent but expensive compared to dial antibacterial(walmart) and the positive results I got from the dial. Obviously I'd like to get away from the triclosan in the future.

Where can the bar be found and is it expensive?

I used Black Tar soap from Whole Foods for a while...it was decent but expensive compared to dial antibacterial(walmart) and the positive results I got from the dial. Obviously I'd like to get away from the triclosan in the future.
Walmart brother, but obviously it will be more expensive then antibacterial soap. It's $6 a bar if I remember right, but like I said all I've needed is once a day, so the bar lasts at least a week.

Walmart brother, but obviously it will be more expensive then antibacterial soap. It's $6 a bar if I remember right, but like I said all I've needed is once a day, so the bar lasts at least a week.
Thanks I will probably give it a try.

No problem its this one here, I tried their wash in a tube and it wasn't the same the bar worked much better.

**broken link removed**
Lol do you hate moisturizing soap and body washes as much as I do? I freaking still feel damp and oily as soon as I dry off!

Lol do you hate moisturizing soap and body washes as much as I do? I freaking still feel damp and oily as soon as I dry off!

Bro my hair feels like it has gel in it when I've never put a damn thing lol my skin same way, I literally have to wash up and shower multiple times a day. I go to the bathroom at work and wash my face and arms multiple times lol if its not the sweat its the grease!

The only time I feel not oily is after a shower, then it starts all over again. I've always been like this, at one point I think I was using shitty soap and I had a weird dry pigmentation in certain areas but I was still oily all around. I tried everything and then one day it went away on its own.

So yea I hate them as much as you do and maybe even more!! I do however tolerate and like dove bar soap, it actually makes me feel clean and makes my skin soft. [emoji4]

I can't use any body washes though.

But then again I also have to use the panoxyl bar once a day lol

You skin is completely covered with bacteria that is SUPPOSED to be there, why would you kill it just on the extremely remote chance you have come into contact with some kind of harmful bacteria?

That is like taking something to wipe out your intestinal flora just on the off chance you ate something bad.

You skin is completely covered with bacteria that is SUPPOSED to be there, why would you kill it just on the extremely remote chance you have come into contact with some kind of harmful bacteria?

That is like taking something to wipe out your intestinal flora just on the off chance you ate something bad.
Obviously we are talking about prevention of breakouts here, so that would be bad bacteria we are targeting.

i started using hibiclens on doctors reccomendation and it has cut my acne down by over 50%. look into it

Agreed, and I have read that the bacteria on your body varies according to WHERE it is on your body.

i started using hibiclens on doctors reccomendation and it has cut my acne down by over 50%. look into it

Hibiclens is that pink chlorhexidine stuff right?

Hibiclens is that pink chlorhexidine stuff right?

An ifbb pro I know recommended this to me a couple years back. He said he doesn't use it anymore but it worked great when he needed to. I never did find any or where to get it?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear