YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Found my sweet spot for training quads...

Stayinfit

Registered
For years I fought with lower back issues and handling what I call heavy weight for squats didn't help much. Here's what I did a few months back and I've actually added size to my quads without heavy squats. Never going back.

Leg press 3x10 ( feet shoulder width) last rep should be very difficult
superset with
smith mach. front squats 3x10 (feet wider than shoulder width) below parallel.

Leg press 3x 16,14,12 (feet wider than shoulder width) last rep should be difficult
superset with squats 3x 8-10 (feet just inside shoulder width) just above parallel.

Leg extension 3x22,20,18 first half of the reps are with a 2 sec iso hold at the top remaining reps are either partials or full reps.
superset with feet low on leg press 3x20 feet very low on platform (saw this on JM website. Kinda mimics hack squat. Also perform reps in the lower to mid range for constant tension.

So I've found that on the safer exercises I can use heavier weights and pre-exhaust before moving to front squats or squats. Legs are fried and my knees and lower back absolutely do not hurt anymore the following days.

Those that say heavy squats are the only way to build size, hmmmmm, I don't know but as long as I progress in the weights with this workout size seems to come along with it.

It makes sense to me. Both duration and tension are factors in determining muscle growth. Obviously by doing supersets, you're increasing the duration that the muscle is under tension and, as per the fatigue you describe, you have adequate tension applied to that muscle. It sounds like you found a good balance between those two factors and now you're seeing results!

I too have a back injury. I've worked hard at strengthening my core over time. Back still hurts at times but nothing compared to what it use to. I actually love leg days. Making great progress with weight. And then I did something to my knee last week. Hurts. Really bummed out about it. Today was leg day and my normal routine was not possible. But I did manage light weights with high reps and my legs are spent. I'm glad you found a routine that works for you.

I have disc degeneration and a herniated disc that hits my sciatic nerve. Core strengthening and stretching has helped tremendously.

Box squat 1-2x15 with a narrow stance.

you don't have to completely dump squats; trust me, I am a tall femured individual and standard BB squat doesn't do anything but give me an incredibly strong posterior chain.

but box squats with a narrow stance for high reps will mutilate them.

glad you found something that works though, props buddy

Thank you training tips always help me when I reach a plateau.

For years I fought with lower back issues and handling what I call heavy weight for squats didn't help much. Here's what I did a few months back and I've actually added size to my quads without heavy squats. Never going back.

Leg press 3x10 ( feet shoulder width) last rep should be very difficult
superset with
smith mach. front squats 3x10 (feet wider than shoulder width) below parallel.

Leg press 3x 16,14,12 (feet wider than shoulder width) last rep should be difficult
superset with squats 3x 8-10 (feet just inside shoulder width) just above parallel.

Leg extension 3x22,20,18 first half of the reps are with a 2 sec iso hold at the top remaining reps are either partials or full reps.
superset with feet low on leg press 3x20 feet very low on platform (saw this on JM website. Kinda mimics hack squat. Also perform reps in the lower to mid range for constant tension.

So I've found that on the safer exercises I can use heavier weights and pre-exhaust before moving to front squats or squats. Legs are fried and my knees and lower back absolutely do not hurt anymore the following days.

Those that say heavy squats are the only way to build size, hmmmmm, I don't know but as long as I progress in the weights with this workout size seems to come along with it.

Its all about trail and error,,,always nice when you find a piece of the puzzle.

you don't have to completely dump squats; trust me, I am a tall femured individual and standard BB squat doesn't do anything but give me an incredibly strong posterior chain.

but box squats with a narrow stance for high reps will mutilate them.

I love box squats too!! Sometimes I go just a tad over parallel on those and sometimes even shorter. Front squats though I like going almost rock bottom and only come up 3/4 of the way. I thought about alternating box squats with regular squats.

Yesterday was leg day and I had a hard time walking out of the gym doing the routine above and today...My legs feel great but what's better is in the past I dreaded the next day because I knew my knees and back would be in pain...not today!!

I too have a back injury. I've worked hard at strengthening my core over time. Back still hurts at times but nothing compared to what it use to. I actually love leg days. Making great progress with weight. And then I did something to my knee last week. Hurts. Really bummed out about it. Today was leg day and my normal routine was not possible. But I did manage light weights with high reps and my legs are spent. I'm glad you found a routine that works for you.

I have disc degeneration and a herniated disc that hits my sciatic nerve. Core strengthening and stretching has helped tremendously.

I have this same diagnosis but mine are ruptured, whats worked for me is high rep and pre-exhaust, I superset leg extensions, leg press, and hack squat. I pre-exhaust with leg ext. and leg press so i don't have to go heavy on hacks and my knees and back hurt a lot less the next day

I like it. Will be adding this protocol to my training plan. Thanks for sharing! :D

I'll give this a try...the lowest disc on my spine is so sensitive to everything. Got some xrays and it appears it deteriorated some from the weight over time (looks like an oval on an xray rather than a square lol). I have one of those leg press machine where the platform you place your legs on doesn't move, but the board you're laying on moves instead (you press against the shoulder pads), sort of like a hack squat machine but completely horizontal. I try going deep on that to really get my glutes involved (knees just centimeters from chest), but recently even that has been irritating my lower back like none other, making it hard to walk the next day. I was about prepared to throw in the towel and just rely on leg extension and other leg machines that don't involve weight being placed on your lower back, but I'll try your method first. Are one of the benefits of front squats that the balance is less on your lower back? I've never tried them before, pardon my ignorance.

For me, i super set every set with air squats....it sounds girl-ish, but it really brought out the separation in my quads

For me, i super set every set with air squats....it sounds girl-ish, but it really brought out the separation in my quads

Not to girlish for Justin Compton either

Im glad someone suggested this, I have disk/back issues and gave up squats for a time until box squats were suggested on this site

If you have back/lower back issues seriously consider adding box squats to your routine

I'll give this a try...the lowest disc on my spine is so sensitive to everything. Got some xrays and it appears it deteriorated some from the weight over time (looks like an oval on an xray rather than a square lol). I have one of those leg press machine where the platform you place your legs on doesn't move, but the board you're laying on moves instead (you press against the shoulder pads), sort of like a hack squat machine but completely horizontal. I try going deep on that to really get my glutes involved (knees just centimeters from chest), but recently even that has been irritating my lower back like none other, making it hard to walk the next day. I was about prepared to throw in the towel and just rely on leg extension and other leg machines that don't involve weight being placed on your lower back, but I'll try your method first. Are one of the benefits of front squats that the balance is less on your lower back? I've never tried them before, pardon my ignorance.
The leg press I use to mimic the hack squat is like the leg press you talked about where the platform doesn't move. I don't go as low as you do, probably just below parallel on those. I think anytime your lower back comes up off the pad by going to deep on those will cause back problems. some people can go deep and some can't. I'm a firm believer in the thought that every persons body structure or bone structure along with flexibility limits movements on some exercises. I don't think it will limit growth though if you can't go deep. Many years ago I use to train at a gym the same time as this one dude that had some amazing quads. In the two years of training around the same time I never once saw him go below parallel on anything. Even hack squats he just went to parallel and back up. Dude has some 30+ wheels on him.
Front squats, I think, just stress the quads differently than regular squats and maybe I do both for variety because I get bored doing more than 3 working sets of any exercise. I do agree that it doesn't stress the lower back at all. I think doing front squats first kinda prep the body for regular squats. Kind of like warming em up for the regular squat. Can't use as much weight cuz they are supersetted, but the weight doesn't matter as much. I think time under tension means a lot with quads.

i find legs to be the muscle that has the biggest differences between each person, a lot of people respond to very high reps when leg training

but for me personally after trying to go high reps like 20-30 i felt winded but my legs started looking stringy compared to when i go heavy

it's awesome that you were able to find what works

Update

Just an update on this training style for quads.

I don't know how much my legs have grown since doing this style but they definitely have. Had to buy new jeans, a little baggier. Waist didn't change and my bodyweight went up a little bit. Not on anything at all right now. Just a good peri workout regimen. No more knee problems and lower back feels awesome. The weights used have gone up on each exercise also.

I find leg press to be really hard on my back, although it's hard on it in a different way. I do tend to go deeper than I should though. That makes my low back curl.

The single best exercise for quads that put not pressure on my back are single leg split squats. The amount of weight you use will humble you at first. And you will get an amazing stretch of the back quad that is supporting your balance. You will also relieve all pressure on your back. And you will discover any imbalances in hip, glute, ham and quad strength. My left glute first so much better than my right.

Seriously give them a shot. Find a sit up bench with those roller things on the end where the feet wrap under. Start with a broom stick for balance and just do them unweighted for starters. Just get used to the stretch of the back leg and the balance it takes to do them correctly. Then grab some dumbbells (no more than 45s to start with, seriously, trust me) and then eventually you can use a barbell if you need to relieve the grip.

I stopped doing squats too...I now do hack squats, leg press and leg ext.
Leg press and leg. ext last set is widowmaker set. Friken tough, but have had some serious growth in the past 6 weeks.

I quit training legs years ago had two knee surgeries and was tired of them swelling up like an old man.

However I recently started training them again and think they are growing and feeling great no knee problems

Difference is I am doing higher reps more volume and FRONT SQUATS instead of Back Squats also doing them twice a week

So in other words light weight volume and front squats not low rep back squats seems to be secret for me despite two knee surgeries they feel great doing front squats back squats made me quit training them years ago Front squats rule

Also way better on back and using much less weight they feel good back squats hurt

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131