YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who here gently puts down anything above 120lb dumbbells???

Bio-hazard

Registered
Yea, I got asked to not drop the weights. While I understand that it can bend or break weights.... How exactly does one gently put down the 135s? Bc thats what I was doing. Flat dumbbell presses with the 135s, 10 reps, on my 3rd set and a personal trainer came to me asking I don't drop them and that I put them down slower. I wasn't throwing them or even dropping them from fully extended... I brought them back down to my chest and kinda let them slide over to the sides. Or maybe I'm just bitching I don't know. But anything above 120s after a full set is hard to "set them down slowly"...

I can up to the 150s. I just roll back up and stand up,then go set them down. Basically just reverse the the way you laid down.

So on my last rep,I bring them to chest, then set up,and stand. Has to be done quickly though.

That is when you politely ask said trainer if they use the 135lbs DBs... Most likely response will be, "No, no I do not..." to which you reply, "Well then you don't really know that one does not simply gently put down 135lbs DBs, there is going to be a slight 'drop' but nothing that will cause damage to the DB, I assure you."

if the trainer say that members are complaining, then say that you encourage the members that have complaints to address you themselves, and if members ask you to be more careful, you will respect their concerns.

Personally, when I finish a set, I let the DBs come down to my chest, then sit, let them rest on my thighs briefly, then put them down... but I can say there has been more than one time that I hit failure after a forced rep or cheat rep or partial and simply couldn't do a slow negative... but no one said anything to me about because other times I show respect for the equipment and there are far and few between that do at my gym...

Last edited:
I drop 130s. They are heavy, don't really care who you are. And if anyone wants come up and say anything to me about gently putting down that much weight, I'm going to make sure I drop the weight on their feet.

I drop 130s. They are heavy, don't really care who you are. And if anyone wants come up and say anything to me about gently putting down that much weight, I'm going to make sure I drop the weight on their feet.

If I owned a gym and you were my customer, I'd film you dropping the weight and then take you to court to make you pay for the repairs to my floors.

If you cant handle putting it down easy and safely, dont pick it up. If they are that heavy after your set, ask for a spotter to help you. it isnt hard.

NO you wont!!! :naughty:

there should be a vid on it somewhere but when u keep them on your knees and roll back with them stright up in the air, take a little practice but actaully way easier to do and then just reverse it, btw i use to do 150s this way

there should be a vid on it somewhere but when u keep them on your knees and roll back with them stright up in the air, take a little practice but actaully way easier to do and then just reverse it, btw i use to do 150s this way

Watch one of Ronnie Coleman old videos of him DBpressing he does it this way, that's where i learned how to do it.

This is what I do.

I can up to the 150s. I just roll back up and stand up,then go set them down. Basically just reverse the the way you laid down.

So on my last rep,I bring them to chest, then set up,and stand. Has to be done quickly though.

That is when you politely ask said trainer if they use the 135lbs DBs... Most likely response will be, "No, no I do not..." to which you reply, "Well then you don't really know that one does not simply gently put down 135lbs DBs, there is going to be a slight 'drop' but nothing that will cause damage to the DB, I assure you."

if the trainer say that members are complaining, then say that you encourage the members that have complaints to address you themselves, and if members ask you to be more careful, you will respect their concerns.

Personally, when I finish a set, I let the DBs come down to my chest, then sit, let them rest on my thighs briefly, then put them down... but I can say there has been more than one time that I hit failure after a forced rep or cheat rep or partial and simply couldn't do a slow negative... but no one said anything to me about because other times I show respect for the equipment and there are far and few between that do at my gym...

I would have a had a more terse reply but said the same thing, its called fucking gravity if you let them drop from one inch they make a loud thud, drop a 45 it makes more noise.
Usually people who say this are just intimidated, its one thing as bio said, to throw the weights recklessly but big bells don't come down like a fucking feather.
Back in the day I had someone say the same about some 170's I used, I bounced them down to my knees, stood up and put them down but I let them go from about 6 inches off the ground, and had a woman come up and tell me I needed to stop using a weight I couldn't control, I replied, 'you meant the same weight, I picked up, kicked up and did 6 reps with then brought them back down under control...that kind of control?' she picked up on the sarcasm muttered something about me being a 'roid head' and went to the staff, fortunately the gym owner was a friend of mine and it came to nothing.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kdGgpVDDRes[/ame]

Ramy will show you how to set them down slowly and quietly

What you did doesn't sound bad, thats a good amount of weight. What really urks me is guys that grab 90s, do a couple of incline presses, and throw them forward like a shot put. Seriously dude? You had enough gas to throw those weights but you couldnt do more than 6 reps? Ridiculous.

that is the way i have done it for years. unless something goes wrong then they hit the floor in a controlled manner but it is rare.

Couple of people already mentioned it....roll up basically. I maneuver them to my lower chest and kind of sit up while pushing them onto my thighs, then simply stand up and put them back on the rack. Luckily at my gym there is plenty of room to just move the incline bench along the DB rack, so I position it right in front of where I am taking the DB's from so when I roil back up I barely have to move to put them on the rack. I don't do flat very often, but my incline is very slight, and this has always worked for me. Never tried it with anything over 150#'s though.

The whole rocking the weights back to my knees and sitting up in one motion usually doesn't work for me. For whatever reason it bothers my elbows. Weird. I can do it up to 100lb but after that I pretty much have to let them slide over to the sides of my chest after a set. I can control putting down anything up to 120s pretty good but the 130-150s are tougher... and while my pressing is on point, setting them down I just can't seem to master haha

You get em up you should set down without dropping or throwing them. You guys are watching to many branch warren videos.

On incline its very easy to not drop them obviously, and i hate the kids who throw them forward after a set of incline.

On flat its difficult, but i have been able to not drop them using the method that truelove mentioned. However i cant do it with a heavy weight that i can only get like 4-5 reps with, its the sitting up after thats hard. I never really go heavy to the point where i only get 4-5 reps so its usually not a problem.

I dont do flat dumbell as often as i should because sometimes its just a pain. But i try not to drop the weights. I dont care when people do though, because i have done it, they just need to be careful that nobody is close by.

If I owned a gym and you were my customer, I'd film you dropping the weight and then take you to court to make you pay for the repairs to my floors.

If you cant handle putting it down easy and safely, dont pick it up. If they are that heavy after your set, ask for a spotter to help you. it isnt hard.

What if there is horse matting on the floor and they are rubber weighted? I see how some dumbbells can become damaged but if they have rubber shell isn't that the point so you can drop them. I say fuck it drop em no point in injuring yourself trying to be polite. Gyms are for us to get big in not be pump baby weights like a seniors circuit training class. I mean c'mon.

I manage gyms and I tell ppl all the.Time to not drop weights and yes I know what heavy wgt feels like if they ask me I can incline the 140s and seems to bring them down to my knees then set them on the ground

As a manager I know the difference bt launching them after ur set or simply dropping them from a foot up..

Many ppl don't understand dbs are very expensive

What if there is horse matting on the floor and they are rubber weighted? I see how some dumbbells can become damaged but if they have rubber shell isn't that the point so you can drop them. I say fuck it drop em no point in injuring yourself trying to be polite. Gyms are for us to get big in not be pump baby weights like a seniors circuit training class. I mean c'mon.

no, the point of the rubber is to NOT damage the floors or the dumbells. It isnt so you can drop them because you cant handle them.
In a situation where you might injure yourself, thats another story. Id drop em if it came to that... but on a regular as a standard protocol...hell no! thats you being an ass. no need for it.
Gyms are for everyone who wants to workout, but if you break my shit, you arent welcome in my gym. quite simple and no need for politeness there either.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws