advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

NFL NETWORK: A Football Life (Lyle Alzado)

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
What a beautiful piece that aired tonight...

...til the final 10 minutes attributing his death to steroids. It's a shame there are still people such as teammates and family members contributing to the ignorance 22 yrs after the fact.

Last edited:
Amazing how people who should know the truth are just ignorant. If thats what killed him then how come more people dont die from steroids that way? Just stupid...

Not to side track but I just watched the one on Marcus Allen.. Amazing.. I had forgot how much of a beast he was considering I was in elementary while he was playing..

Last edited:
I watched it. Thought it was badass. I forgot that he tried a comeback.

Brain cancer from AAS or cadaver hGH? Whaaaat?

Disclaimer: I know nothing of cadaver hGH.

I actually couldn't bring myself to watch because I knew this would come up and it was just going to annoy me

I actually couldn't bring myself to watch because I knew this would come up and it was just going to annoy me

Set your DVR, watch it, and turn it off after he gets cut by the Raiders when he's 41. That's when his decline starts. It's about the last ten or 15 minutes.

Definitely watch the rest. Worth it. Gotta love 3 Mile Lyle. :)

He was my favorite football player growing up.

I watched it. Thought it was badass. I forgot that he tried a comeback.

Brain cancer from AAS or cadaver hGH? Whaaaat?

Disclaimer: I know nothing of cadaver hGH.

I also dont know that much about Cadaver HGH. Knight would know, Knight in the late 80's could you still get brain cancer from cadaver HGH?

I know it could have killed you back in the 70's, but im not sure if it gave you cancer. I know it was some brain disorder im just not sure.

I know steroids didnt cause it though, lol !!

I also dont know that much about Cadaver HGH. Knight would know, Knight in the late 80's could you still get brain cancer from cadaver HGH?

I know it could have killed you back in the 70's, but im not sure if it gave you cancer. I know it was some brain disorder im just not sure.

I know steroids didnt cause it though, lol !!
Lol I wouldn't know! Creuzgelt-Jakob disease was the concern with cadaver gh....but I'm not even sure if it was widely known then. Some have said his brain cancer was related to AIDS and he was bisexual. I have no idea if that's validated or what not.

Edit... that should read Creuzfelt-Jakobs Disease....

Anyways, Lyle Alzado is one of the first vivid football memories I have...probably because my father talked a bit about him when I was young and I guess I really remember the deteriorating situation in the media before he died...i.e. the interview etc. It's probably the first time I heard about steroids at the age of 6 or 7.

Here is my issue... Lyle either naively or ignorantly blamed his sickness on steroids...and he was VERY vocal about it. Perhaps he was just upset and reeling from the diagnosis and the fight...or maybe he was covering something up..who knows? But for his family and former teammates(like Tom Jackson, Howie Long, and others in the interviews) to perpetuate the lies is just sad.

Put Lyle's siblings and ex wives on there and let them say whatever they want...in their beliefs...or to carry on what Lyle thought gave him the cancer....but ALSO put medical professionals(like his own doctors who have said steroids had nothing to do with it) and other knowledgeable people to tell both sides.

This is really when the uproar and ignorance spread in America. The '88 Seoul games where golden boy Carl Lewis lost to Ben Johnson....and the early 90s with whispers of what Canseco was doing to achieve his feats and Alzado's death. In a period of about 3 to 4 yrs...the media covered these stories and planted the stigma that is here to stay.

Last edited:
There is definitely talk that Lyle liked guys and had "something" very taboo and felt he HAD to blame something... Really sucks because the public ate that shit up!! Late 80s I was totally natural and had my coaches sit me down to educate me about how steroids would kill my brain... I have talked to a few guys that knew him well... No one said anything negative in fact said he was a great guy.. I trained with a guy whose father was a partner in the original CrazeeWear and Lyle was at his home many times when he was a kid... I am a little older but always thought how cool it must be to tell your friends that freaking Lyle Alzado is your dads buddy

Last edited:
Lol I wouldn't know! Creuzgelt-Jakob disease was the concern with cadaver gh....but I'm not even sure if it was widely known then. Some have said his brain cancer was related to AIDS and he was bisexual. I have no idea if that's validated or what not.

I knew some brain disease had been associated with the cadaver HGH i just didnt know what, and im not sure if it was brain cancer.

Either way he had to know it wasnt AAS that caused it. There is a chance that he thought the HGH caused it, and thats why he spoke out, but who knows. I do know that if you have any cancerous cells and you are taking HGH its not a good thing, not a good thing at all (someone correct me if im wrong). So there is a possibility that the HGH accelerated the cancer he already had, but thats not what they are saying... they are completely blaming it on steroids just to try and make a statement and preach. Not surprising....

You gotta feel for the guy and his family. Came from a rough upbringing, made it big time and then crashed hard...

That's been the rumor for a long time. It was said that Al Davis paid a lot of money to keep the story quiet.

Aside from that, Alzado was a monster. He admitted in his SI interview, that if someone cut him off in traffic, he would follow them for however many miles it took and then beat the shit out of them. He also beat his first wife on a regular basis.

Here's an interview from his first wife...It's from '91, when he was dying.

Ex-wife: Alzado's 9-year-old victim too
July 12, 1991|By Bob Raissman | Bob Raissman,New York Daily News

NEW YORK -- Cynthia Alzado knows what people will think. They will call her a vengeful ex-wife.

She doesn't care.

The sun was shining on the tiny back yard of her Cedarhurst, Long Island, condominium Wednesday as her mood swung from regret to relief to rage. She had known Lyle Alzado since she was a teen-ager and classmate at Lawrence High School. They had lived together for 3 1/2 years before marrying in 1985.

The relationship and 15-month marriage was carried out in the fast lane. It was filled with violence. She said living with Alzado was both "heaven and hell." She spoke of beatings Alzado administered and of his drastic mood swings. She vividly remembers how her ex-husband first took steroids orally before injecting them. Yes, she remembers injecting him with the juice herself.

Those memories pale in comparison to the plight of her son, 9-year-old Justin, Lyle Alzado's only child. As Alzado battles brain cancer, his second wife is appalled by what she calls the father's lack of caring for his son. Last week, she saw Lyle being interviewed by ESPN's Roy Firestone. Up to that point, she suppressed her feelings about what she called Alzado's refusal to take a financial stake in his son's future. She alleges he has missed child support ($1,500 per month) and alimony payments ($1,000 per month) for 18 months, but now he is dying.

"How can you pressure him during a time like this?" she said.

But when she saw the interview, she snapped.

"The thing that made me wild was seeing him beg for money during the interview," she said. "Why should anyone help him? He doesn't help his own child. He's broke now. What about when he wasn't broke? Why wasn't something set up for this child? Why doesn't this child have the home he deserves? Forget about me, I don't matter. Why wasn't something provided for his own flesh and blood?"

Alzado's representative, Greg Campbell, had no comment.

Reports have indicated Alzado needs the money to pay his doctor bills. Cynthia Alzado doesn't dispute that, but she wonders why Lyle didn't provide for his son when he had money. Before she began living with him, Cynthia, 42, owned her own hair-cutting salon. Now, she provides for her son "week to week" by cutting hair, doing waitress work and "anything else that will keep us above water."

She said she began living with Alzado in 1981 at her place in Long Beach, L.I. Alzado was with the Cleveland Browns at the time and she would stay in Cleveland during the week. She saw him take pills and he told her they were steroids. She wasn't concerned until that summer when they decided to have a child. "I wondered if it would have any effect on a child," she said. "He called a doctor, who he said was with the Browns, and the man assured me steroids couldn't affect a baby."

Justin is a strong, healthy child. He does have an attention deficiency that requires tutoring, and Cynthia said he is in therapy to deal with the emotional strain of living without a father.

Cynthia thinks back to her days with Alzado and wonders how much the steroids influenced his moods. She remembers reading him a Sports Illustrated story on steroids and how they affected an athlete's life.

"He ignored it," she said. "He just said, 'Whatever it takes. Whatever it takes.' I told him he could die. He said, 'If I die, I die.' "

She said Alzado was volatile after games, win or lose. There was always a pattern.

When they arrived home, Alzado would become violent. "He could walk into the house after a game, stop on a dime and, all of a sudden, he's grabbing my hair and throwing me across the room. The first real bad moment was before he left for the 1984 Super Bowl. He beat me. I don't even remember why. He would never beat me with his fists, just slap me around."

There was also a pattern to the relationship. After she was physically abused, Cynthia would leave him and Lyle would call asking her to come back. One time he bought her a white Rolls Royce to show his renewed affection.

After one of many split-ups, she went back to California to try to reconcile things. "The deal was I would live in our Manhattan Beach home and he would live somewhere else," she said. "We would both undergo counseling."

Alzado picked her and Justin up at the airport. He spent the night at the Manhattan Beach home and went to Raiders mini-camp the next day. When he returned home, according to Cynthia, he ate lunch and went into the bedroom to inject himself with steroids. Cynthia walked into the bedroom, sat down on the bed and told him she thought they agreed that he wasn't going to live under the same roof.

"He said he wasn't moving anywhere," she said. "I told him I couldn't live with him and even Greg [Campbell] agreed. He questioned me telling Greg and told me he was going to teach me to keep my mouth shut. He beat me, threw me across the room. This time I ended up in the hospital with a collapsed lung, a concussion and fractured ribs."

The stormy relationship ended in divorce and now Cynthia calls her time with Lyle Alzado "a blur." As Alzado fights for his life, she fights to provide for her son. Justin saw his father a few weeks ago in California and refuses to believe he will die.

"Things are difficult for him. He wonders why he doesn't have the same things other kids have," she said. "I started to realize I should tell him where the blame lies; maybe it's time for him to know.

"People love Lyle. They will probably ask what I did to make him hate me so much. I don't care what they think. Maybe we were the victims of steroid abuse. Lyle left victims on the football field, we were his victims off the field. He left us in his wake, he left his only child in his wake."

I am pretty sure he had an AIDS related illness that most people with AIDS get. It was brain lymphoma I believe.

Remember, 91 or 92 was a time when AIDS was still very much unknown. There was not widespread knowledge or awareness yet.

People tend to not want to hear this kind of shit, but the reality is he was not a good person at all. Granted, he died in a horrific way but in life he was an abusive liar who caused the people in his life pain.

He had central nervous system lymphoma. We only see it in immunocompromised patients. He blamed his compromised immune system on AAS & GH. This was easier than admitting he was gay. HIV, same as Matuszak and Magic Johnson. Anyone who was around Gold's Venice circa 1990 heard the rumors that he liked young effeminate gay boys. He used to love T suspension too, I sold him a case or two of it around 1990. Knight makes a valid point that this had a major impact on the stigma of steroids in this country that still exists today and the basis is completely false.

1988 was the really the height of the HIV epidemic, it was not unknown in 1992, it was unknown in 1980-1982 perhaps. People were dropping like flies in 1991 and 1992 when I first started working in MICU. I mention this because I have been told that he failed an HIV test when making his NFL comeback and that they decided to just quietly say that Davis chose a younger player. I never verified if the NFL was testing for HIV then but there was Western Blot testing available and there was a fair amount of hysteria over HIV transmission and body fluids in contact sports. It was rumored that the NFL knew he had HIV and covered it up an that this was how they knew.

Rex.

We can't be certain if he died from AIDS, but he had significant muscle wasting as he was nearing death. That is NOT a symptom of any kind of brain cancer. What he claimed killed him IMO, was not what was actually going on.

Wow. I wonder if they really could have kept that hidden, that he was HIV positive. It seems to make sense and i guess its possible. Blaming it on steroids would certainly be easier than coming out as a gay, HIV positive former NFL Player. In the early 90's that would have been unimaginable...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131