over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

digesting carbs

nfernoo

Banned
It takes me forever to digest my carbs.
I've read about amylase but I'm not sure how effective it is.

Suggestions?

How many grams are you eating per meal? Maybe your just plain over eating

Let me tell you my friend i have "Unknowingly" been battling this for years and just now got my mind wrapped around it. I have BATTLED Heartburn (GERD, acid reflux etc….) for many years. My old doctor had me on Prilosec for 12 years. The meds definitely controlled it but i felt like i wasn't getting the proper digestion and absorption since i was killing off my stomach acid. I wanted to come off of the prescription meds and try to conquer this naturally. For years everything i was told or read said that my acid reflux was caused, basically, by my body not digesting proteins. "Experts" say that supplementing with HCL with high protein meals is the ticket. I tried this and sometimes it worked and sometimes it was excruciatingly worse. Then i read an article by a guy named Chris Kresser that basically said he thought most acid reflux was caused by people not digesting carbs properly and they were basically just sitting in your stomach rotting and causing acid regurgitation. Well the light went off in my head and i recognized that most of my problems were after bigger carb meals.

Long story short, i have almost zero acid reflux when i follow a higher protein higher fat diet with almost zero carbs (Not counting the carbs from veggies). More of a paleo diet.

Thats kind of a round about way to tell you yes, i feel like i don't digest carbs worth a crap and i know exactly what you are going through.

Why don't you give us an example of your daily diet plan as of now, kscowboy?

It takes me forever to digest my carbs.
I've read about amylase but I'm not sure how effective it is.

Suggestions?

What are your sources?

I use an over the counter enzyme tab before big meals , seems to help

Why don't you give us an example of your daily diet plan as of now, kscowboy?

My diet consists of:

chicken
grass fed beef
fish
shrimp
eggs

cabbage
salad
zucchini
squash
kale
green beans
corn (Just a little)
brocoli
cauliflower

healthy oils like olive oil or coconut oil
avocado
nuts
Grass fed butter

I usually eat 3 main meals a day (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) with 2-3 snacks a day.

I also throw in a very small amount of clean carbs, post workout if i have a huge lifting day. By small amount i am talking a half of a sweet potato or 1/2c rice. But normally i don't.
If i eat like this i get ZERO acid reflux. Throw in too many carbs and i will get the burn within 15 minutes.

Keep in mind i am not bodybuilding any longer and pretty much just focus on fitness and keeping healthy. I still lift 2-3 days a week but am not needing to pound the calories any longer in order to put on size.

Paleo eating has been a great tool for me (I usually try to eat about 70-80% paleo). If you try to be 100% paleo, you will go insane.

Also a book by DH Kiefer called carb night and carb back loading have been awesome as well as Rob Wolfe's paleo book.

This has basically cured my acid reflux over night. My body just doesn't digest them very well and strangely enough when i used to work with trainers such as Sagi Kalev, John Meadows and SHelby, they all had me eating plenty of carbs. But I'm 42 now and i am convinced some things change when you get older and what your body can and can't tolerate for intake.

I tell you one thing that really opened my eyes to carbs hurting me (Don't laugh) was noticing if i had a couple of beers i would get horrible heart burn. I never put two and two together and then all of this started to make sense.

I had and battled digestive issues for years, and over the years I have also be competing alot and working hard offseasons, so I used tren pre-cont and moderate amounts of tren enth offseason. My issues kept coming and going, I tried everything, presc meds, every strain of digestive enzymes, bromelain, acidophilus etc etc you name it.

This went right up to a month ago, I was taking some tren E, stopped it and it all went away shortly after. Now I am eating anything in any amount and I am fine. Life is great.

Also you may have an intollerance to the carb if your eating it too often. Try sticking to carbs like potato and yams, I found they didnt bother me as bad as rice and grains.

My carbs are 550grams.
Mostly oats.

Ive been eating smaller portions and grInding them to powder in coffee grinder.
Seems to help a lil bit.

Interesting thing about acid reducers?
ive been taking these to combat acid from tren

I used to get all my carbs from oats as well. It gave me a lot of gas.
Try using organic steamed brown rice. Costco has premade organic brown rice containers that you simply microwave for 90 seconds and it turns out better than rice made in a rice cooker. It's perfect size for a meal.
Ezeikiel bread is another easy clean source of carbs.
Mix up your carb sources and you'll find easier digestion as I have.
Healthy greens powder has probiotics and the flora that feeds the probiotics which I find aids in digestion as well.

I tell you one thing that really opened my eyes to carbs hurting me (Don't laugh) was noticing if i had a couple of beers i would get horrible heart burn. I never put two and two together and then all of this started to make sense.

I'll vouch for the above as well pal.

I would get horrible acid reflux, at night specifically, very rare during the day.

Been on a presciption esomeprazole (nexium) for years and had enough.

I recently had a Endoscopy done.

While waiting for the test results to come back, I decided for two full weeks that I was not going to have a single beverage and I didn't

The results, un-freaking real man, I had one or two very minor complications of reflux which was a walk in the park.

I am convinced, for me, that alcohol, with my meals at night make the relfux happen. Some nights I will have 1 drink some nights I will have 3-4, usually wine and or whiskey on the rocks.

Needless to say, my results came back negative from the doc and basically I cured myself (in theory) of reflux!

I now keep alcohol consumption to the weekends (where reflux does come back to haunt me...FML)

I also stopped taking nexium all togther

Just my .2cents and food for thought as I was sure the doc was going find something, only to confirm, its the devils water that gets me :(

Last edited:
for me I'm not 100% sold on the alcohol being the culprit but more so the carbs in the beers. now I'm not saying alcohol doesn't cause it because I'm sure it does, but i like darker beers that have more carbs. if i drink those i get nasty acid reflux but if i have a crown and water, i can drink those all night long with no issues. To me its all about the carbs,

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131