over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

raw vs cooked chicken (protein content)

nfernoo

Banned
Help me settle this debate.

The chicken package says 4 pounds. Protein per 4 oz
is 23grams (raw)
the package cooks down to 2 pounds (lame)
Its said that you should go off label because protein
doesn't cook down. But its also said that cooked chicken
is around 7 grams per once.

How protein are u actually getting from 2 pounds cooked
chicken breast? Why am I being told to go off label and not
size it cooks down to?

Help me settle this debate.

The chicken package says 4 pounds. Protein per 4 oz
is 23grams (raw)
the package cooks down to 2 pounds (lame)
Its said that you should go off label because protein
doesn't cook down. But its also said that cooked chicken
is around 7 grams per once.

How protein are u actually getting from 2 pounds cooked
chicken breast? Why am I being told to go off label and not
size it cooks down to?

A cooked chicken breast, about the size of your fist is around 35-40g protein.

4 lbs should not cook down to 2 lbs. That seems way off, or there is a lot of water and juice injected into that chicken. I always figure 7 grams an ounce cooked. Usually cook 32-33 oz to make three 8 oz servings (24 oz total)

4 lbs should not cook down to 2 lbs. That seems way off, or there is a lot of water and juice injected into that chicken. I always figure 7 grams an ounce cooked. Usually cook 32-33 oz to make three 8 oz servings (24 oz total)

I agree.

Even cost co frozen chicken cooks down from 10 lbs to 6.5

I've debated this with numerous people and never came to a clear answer. The best solution I came to was that it doesn't matter just always do it the same. I guess it would be better to use cooked weight since the amount of water that cooks off May vary quite a bit depending on your source of chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Label says 92 grams per pound.
Cooked is 112 grams per pound.

And most chicken is loses so much weight after cooked.
Especially bulk

The macronutrients for cooked weights you find online are estimates, because the amount of water that is lost (or gained if dealing with rice etc) depends on the cooking time. If you want to be exact first calculate the amount of protein in raw chicken, for example 64oz * 5.75g (23g/4oz) = 368g protein.

Then if you have 32oz of chicken after cooking it means you still have the 368g protein in that 32oz so the protein content in your cooked chicken is 368g/32oz = 11.50g/oz.

Last edited:
The macro for cooked weights you find online are estimates, because the amount of water that is lost (or gained if dealing with rice etc) depends on the cooking time. If you want to be exact first calculate the amount of protein in raw chicken, for example 64oz * 5.75g (23g/4oz) = 368g protein.

Then if you have 32oz of chicken after cooking it means you still have the 368g protein in that 32oz so the protein content in your cooked chicken is 368g/32oz = 11.50g/oz.

In this case. Weight on pack says 4 pounds 23 grams protein per 4 oz.
It cooks down to 2 pounds. (45minutes baked 350 degrees)

So now what? Lol

So now what? Lol

Sorry don't understand your question brother. My example above uses your weights, 64oz = 4lbs and 32oz = 2lbs. So your 32oz cooked chicken has 11.50g of protein per oz.

buy fresh chicken and ur problem is solved

up here in canada we pay 8 bucks per pound, ive seen it down there for 2.99 even 1.99 a pound. cant complain about that

buy fresh chicken and ur problem is solved

up here in canada we pay 8 bucks per pound, ive seen it down there for 2.99 even 1.99 a pound. cant complain about that

I'm not sure what you mean by fresh chicken but the uncooked weight is still different from cooked weight.

this
in the US the chicken gets injected with shittons of water and saline liquid so that it looks bigger

here in germany this is not allowed by law

chicken has 24g protein per 100g. your chicken has a good 30% less... so that means that by volume, its more than 1/3 water.

fried it should have pretty much exactly the same nutritional values (plus the oil you use), because "real" chicken does not lose any water when you fry it, since the pores get closed on the outside and the water stays inside the chicken and keeps it tender.

however if you bake it in the oven it definitely tends to lose some water, i'd guess its the same for cooked

Last edited:
this
in the US the chicken gets injected with shittons of water and saline liquid so that it looks bigger

here in germany this is not allowed by law

chicken has 24g protein per 100g. your chicken has a good 30% less... so that means that by volume, its more than 1/3 water.

fried it should have pretty much exactly the same nutritional values (plus the oil you use), because "real" chicken does not lose any water when you fry it, since the pores get closed on the outside and the water stays inside the chicken and keeps it tender.

however if you bake it in the oven it definitely tends to lose some water, i'd guess its the same for cooked

Even if they injected water you would still think that the nutritional info they report should be accurate. So if it says on the package that 100g of raw chicken has 24g protein that should be it regardless whether it has water injected in it or not, otherwise they would be lying. I'm not sure whether this is the case though (I don't live in the US).

and depending on how you cook it and for how long you can dry it out and have even more protein per once. also if your breast has a little more fat that can change it some as well. so i don't really sweat the exact amount because you will never know.

Even if they injected water you would still think that the nutritional info they report should be accurate. So if it says on the package that 100g of raw chicken has 24g protein that should be it regardless whether it has water injected in it or not, otherwise they would be lying. I'm not sure whether this is the case though (I don't live in the US).

as the OP said, it was 23g protein per 4 oz. thats about 115g
so yeah the nutritional values they provide are correct, but they still injected water into them to sell "4 POUND PACKS OF CHICKEN"
when its actually just 3 pounds of chicken in there and 1 pound of water

of course if you take their nutritional information and apply it to the weight they list on the package the information will be correct, regardless of cooked weight

So now what? Lol

Do you actually weigh the chicken when you take it out of the package, before you cook it. Maybe it's not really 4 lbs.

what about chicken jerky.
now that stuff is pretty dry indeed.
most walmart/costco "fresh" or frozen 3lb bag chicken has between 15 and 18 percent water added, by weight. in case u didnt notice that.
still, 1.99 a pound for chicken thats 15 percent agua by weight is still cheap.
i go by 7g per ounce. even if its 8 or 6, what the fuck does one gram either way, what difference does it make.

what about chicken jerky.
now that stuff is pretty dry indeed.
most walmart/costco "fresh" or frozen 3lb bag chicken has between 15 and 18 percent water added, by weight. in case u didnt notice that.
still, 1.99 a pound for chicken thats 15 percent agua by weight is still cheap.
i go by 7g per ounce. even if its 8 or 6, what the fuck does one gram either way, what difference does it make.

jerky has all the fluid dried out

since pretty much everything you eat has a certain % of fluid (especially meat, think of how much % of your muscles is made up of water), this of course drastically increases nutritional values per 100g

i think jerky has 50g or so protein per 100g

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity